Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you practice for?

+24
Marnex
onewingedpigeon
Mitya
SocksOnRight
no2man
Depo007
kwesifriends
SX001
d.chimeraan
Gredran
Troy Murray
Pianokid220
maggiekedves
Fryderyk
kentaku_sama
Admin Andrew
Aigle
Antoine
arzi
07dwarves
Amro
VictorCS
Thomandy
CaptainAhabNZ
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How long do you practice piano for

How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap4%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap1%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap0%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap22%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 15 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap29%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 20 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap12%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 8 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap4%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
How long do you practice for? Vote_lcap28%How long do you practice for? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 69

How long do you practice for? Empty How long do you practice for?

Post by CaptainAhabNZ Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:22 am

So tell us how long do you practice piano for Twisted Evil

CaptainAhabNZ
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : Piano (of course!), guitar, & Sailing
Length of time playing piano : 2 months
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

How long do you practice for? Empty Re: How long do you practice for?

Post by Thomandy Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Only when I feel like it Smile

I never sit down at the piano If I dont want to. Usually 1-2 hours, rarly more than 2 hours but also some days 15-30 min...
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Lets just say I used to play both keyboard and guitar random
through out the day, I dont have any schedule...

( And I'm practicing Rubik's Cube algorithm's )
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I have no Real Pattern ..
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 07dwarves Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 am

I started piano two days ago. I actually sit in front of the keyboard for only 15 minutes a day; however, then I look on the internet for six or seven hours all day long and watch piano videos.

Personally, I guess you could say I have some serious fear issues. Fear that I will quit, and fear that I should have started piano at an earlier age. Just a lot of negative thoughts.

Sometimes I look over across the room and I see all those black and white keys over there. They look like teeth of a monster that is patiently waiting to gobble up the hours of my life. In a masochistic way, and as though I were Johnny Depp charging into the mouth of the Kraken, I would like nothing better than just for that to happen.

Actually, it is rather the world outside my door that seems like the monster and not the piano. I would rather stay inside my house being pleasurably hunched over the keyboard all day long. Kind of like that kid in the Charlie Brown cartoon. I have the time you know. I have every hour of the day to spend on piano lessons.

I want to be a person that checks the box that says I even play in my sleep. That is what I want.

But right now. I watch videos for six hours and play the piano for ten or fifteen minutes.
07dwarves
07dwarves
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 20
Length of time playing piano : 4 seconds
Registration date : 2008-11-14

http://07dwarvespianodiary.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by arzi Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:52 am

I try to practice to play as much as everyday for 10-15 minutes in different times, since my schedule at school have also different times Smile
arzi
arzi
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Antoine Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:04 pm

I started piano almost 2 weeks ago, and I practice 1 at 2 hours a day. And I like it Razz

Antoine

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aigle Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:21 pm

I practice only when I feel like i wanna do it.
My average is about 1 hour a day, but when I am learning a new song I kinda practice in my dreams Very Happy
Aigle
Aigle
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am

07dwarves wrote:I started piano two days ago. I actually sit in front of the keyboard for only 15 minutes a day; however, then I look on the internet for six or seven hours all day long and watch piano videos.

Personally, I guess you could say I have some serious fear issues. Fear that I will quit, and fear that I should have started piano at an earlier age. Just a lot of negative thoughts.

Sometimes I look over across the room and I see all those black and white keys over there. They look like teeth of a monster that is patiently waiting to gobble up the hours of my life. In a masochistic way, and as though I were Johnny Depp charging into the mouth of the Kraken, I would like nothing better than just for that to happen.

Actually, it is rather the world outside my door that seems like the monster and not the piano. I would rather stay inside my house being pleasurably hunched over the keyboard all day long. Kind of like that kid in the Charlie Brown cartoon. I have the time you know. I have every hour of the day to spend on piano lessons.

I want to be a person that checks the box that says I even play in my sleep. That is what I want.

But right now. I watch videos for six hours and play the piano for ten or fifteen minutes.

They look like teeth from a monster? What a vivid description! I've never thought of it like that. Seriously though, no matter how much you regret not starting sooner, or the fear you might be experiencing, at the end of the day the piano is a set of keys that we use to express ourselves. There really is no good or bad, just what we connect to. Don't try to cloud yourself with rules and regulations. Sure it's great to have the knowledge, but if you only pursue the knowledge and don't let yourself just savour the moments spent at the keyboard you're...missing out on the best part of music. Right now, just go to your piano, sit there and hit a few keys and just enjoy the sound coming out, don't worry about playing right or wrong for now Smile You can balance practising your skill with also letting out your soul Smile

So what if you didn't start earlier? You're here now, and the past doesn't change.

Enjoy the music, let it be an expression of what's going on in your soul and then you will start to connect with something more deep then a superficial popular song.

Thanks for your post again ^_^ I enjoyed reading it
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 am

I don't really have a scheduled time, I just sit down and practice scales going up and down the piano, songs that I know, songs that I'm learning, and my technic and piano lesson book. 2-3 or 4 hours total a day!!
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:05 am

i try to do 6 hours
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:57 am

The reason I envy those who can start their piano lessons in an early age that they have long hours to practice, can practice for 2, 3, 4 or more hours without consequences.
Wish I would have the time on my hand to practice more...
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:25 am

maggiekedves wrote:The reason I envy those who can start their piano lessons in an early age that they have long hours to practice, can practice for 2, 3, 4 or more hours without consequences.
Wish I would have the time on my hand to practice more...

You could spend that much time practising, all you'd have to do is quit everything else in your life ^_^ lol...maybe not! Very Happy yea I know what you mean, when I was a kid i could practise so much, now life gets in the way.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Aigle Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:30 am

Well, I play just to relax myself (maybe that's why I always have stupid smile on my face Very Happy )
If I have something to do aand this takes a lot of time, I take breaks to play a little bit
Aigle
Aigle
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

How long do you practice for? Empty when I partice

Post by Pianokid220 Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 pm

I just play alot 2-4 hour a day I enjoy it

Last edited by Pianokid220 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy Murray Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am

im just starting but i try to do atleast 1-2 hours a day

Troy Murray

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gredran Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:35 pm

my guitar/piano teacher never gives me a set time like 1 hour a day. of course its an estimate but its best to do repitition like 4 times a day. the reason why he doesn't give me a length of time is because usually people who are timed to do something like practice(usually boring stuff if its basic lesson stuff) they always look at the timer and no progress is usually made. I have gotten really good at guitar and decent at piano with this method

Gredran
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : jobless/guitar, piano, singing, video games, composing, chatting online, researching, hanging out wi
Length of time playing piano : I don't have a set
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by d.chimeraan Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 am

I wish I could have a real pattern, but that'll take a piano first of all.

d.chimeraan
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Ultimate, pool, gaming, and now piano
Length of time playing piano : Nonexistent
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SX001 Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 am

07dwarves wrote:I started piano two days ago. I actually sit in front of the keyboard for only 15 minutes a day; however, then I look on the internet for six or seven hours all day long and watch piano videos.

Welcome, I play 30 minutes in a day and sometimes longer, but some day I even dont touch... and I am now 30 and
thinking that amazing, why I did not started earlier. Unfortunately I even did not had any opportunities!
Fear issues... if just 2 days, its in the very beginning. I have had these situations 2 years. But I guess that I found now way out -- I need to learn new material, to get familiar with daily practicing routine with NEW songs.

I have had quite similar experience, but actually not with keyboard but everything which is related with arrangering,composing the ready songs what I improvise. Every time when I think that "its nice and now I need this as ready song" I get a serious barrier. And I have thought about it for a while now that needing to deal with it ...

Idea... perhaps its the block that I am not familiar with the entire process and its not my daily habit? So, lets try to extend the playing routine.

That you look the videos is a good start encouragement start, but why not to try also at the same time when you look, and starting from the simple, it requires still quite hard work but just take the first step and play first notes when you look the video. SO far I have noticed that the songs I like I would like to play also... so it helps to extend the playing routine.

Good that you know what you want.. and keep this idea and it will take off the fear also. Just play and this is the first step.
but remind to yourself the first initial idea... who you want to be? work towards the dream. And I guess that we just have to be started, have patience... I know that it is years to learn, thats good that you know who you want to be and you are counting your hours.... it includes much different areas to learn, but if we will take stepwise... I have now learned and played and composed aprox 2 years with keyboards and unfortunately becouse of these blocks "why I havent started earlier" havent been pleased to dedicate time for music theory but just thinking and hesitating... but when I learn and exercise I am glad.

SX001
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : composing/arranging/playing music, keyboards, electronics, 80-s synth music, spacesynth
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kwesifriends Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 am

I don't know it depends on the day hehehe drunken
kwesifriends
kwesifriends
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 139
Job/hobbies : Student, Bookaholic, Piano, Violin
Length of time playing piano : 10 months
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://kwesifriends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Depo007 Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 pm

I practice for about 30 minutes a day during the week, and an hour a day on weekends. Sometimes the time flies. Other times I find myself staring at the timer because I'm preoccupied with getting other stuff (read: homework) done.
Depo007
Depo007
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Software Developer
Length of time playing piano : Started taking lessons 22 June 2010
Registration date : 2008-06-04

http://www.vgmusic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by no2man Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 am

I am currently in a situation where I can only get to touch a piano during the weekends. But during the weekends, I will practise whenever I am free, which is around 2-4 hours a day.

no2man
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : Piano, Mangas, Eating, Listening to music
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SocksOnRight Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat as 07dwarves.
After school I come home and sit in front of my computer watching piano related videos, or put on some Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky or Debussy.
I have only recently gotten into classical music (or rediscovered, at least... as a very young kid I used to love listening to my grandma's CDs, one of my favourites used to be Grieg's Peer Gynt!! Very Happy).

I would love to be able to sit at a piano and just play, for however long I felt like. There are a number of reasons I can't, primary ones being:
1. Life, School, Soccer... gets in the way of everything.
2. Lack of Pianos. (lol). At the moment the only thing I have working is a little kiddy keyboard I recieved at about age 3. It has just 22 keys Sad I have a fairly decent organ, which I would love to be able to use that. Unfortunately, a friend of my sister's came over and sort of... stuffed it...

Ah, I shall get there. I am regoing over the theory parts of the lessons, and practising when I can!!
SocksOnRight
SocksOnRight
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : Total Beginner
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitya Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I played/practise today about 9 hours, but usualy 2-3 hours a day sometimes less sometimes more i try to practice as much as i can Very Happy

Mitya
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by onewingedpigeon Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:16 am

At the moment im finding it had to do the practical side, I actually have given myself eyestrain from reading up so much music theory but im extremely lacking on my playing, when i try and play a piece the metronome reading the music and playing with both hands is sort of overcrowding my sense, ive started breaking pieces up into measures and that helps a little. But as for practising times? I usually find its best that I stop when im going backwards in progress or when I feel that I cannot learn anything new in that session (aka my brain has fried). Also dwarves dont be afriad of your piano, we are going to make ourselves its boss remember ? you can do it! Very Happy

onewingedpigeon
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Programmer (C/C++/C#/Direct X)
Length of time playing piano : Less than two weeks
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next