Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals.

3 posters

Go down

My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals. Empty My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals.

Post by PaperDesigner Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I have, like many others, feared the concept of possessing a lower ceiling because I started playing piano later in life (a few years ago at twenty). I have heard the stat that it takes 10,000 hours to master something... I figure adults have trouble becoming true high-end pianists because once you get into your adult years, and things like a career and family and other time considerations enter your life, it's impossible to find the time to get to that level. My goal is to circumvent that, fulfill my potential by finding that many hours (I've probably practiced around 1000 hours total to this point), and hopefully be a concert pianist. I... have very little interest in NOT being able to play Revolutionary Etude, Beethoven's more complex sonatas, or anything else Chopin has written. There's a part of me that needs to express itself through complexity, and for that, I desperately desire to play incredibly difficult pieces.

So, my goals are (and I did break them down much the way Andrew recommended):

Long-term:
Concert Pianist
Excellent composer

Next three years (I'll be working on my undergraduate degree majoring in music during this time):
Grade 9 piano (Royal Conservatory) and progress on grade 10.
Strong pop, jazz, rock and classical ability.
Numerous written piano songs, both in both popular and classical forms.

This year:
30 hour practice week established early and consistently, including daily practice of at least two hours, but preferrably four.
Grade 7 piano obtained.
Composition of two or more piano pieces.
Three or more popular style piano songs.
The ability to sight-read grade four level pieces or the grade seven standard of sight-reading, whichever is more challenging.
Completion of my 600 chart (it's a grid of 600 squares I drew where each square represents two hours of practice) in one calender year.
Completion of at least one repertoire piece per month.

I still have to break down my goals by month and day (I might skip breaking it down into weeks, just because it might be as effective and quicker to plan how to hit monthly goals within thirty or so individual days, but we'll see), but I do believe it's realistic. I've progressed quickly despite not investing time consistently (I will practice for four or five hours one day, none for the next, then just get in thirty minutes for the next two... my variable) to the point where I am able to tackle grade eight pieces, but I'm choosing to target grade seven because I need to bring certain other weaker skills (sight-reading, some technique) up to around the same level. I will likely re-assess these goals in a year. If daily practice and added hours makes more of an impact than I suspect, then I may end up moving up some of my targets, but for now, I think this is realistic given the speed of my progress thus far and the amount of time I've put in; hitting my targets will effectively double my lifetime practice time to date within a calender year, so I certainly hope that I can outdo some of my targets!

PaperDesigner
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 5
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals. Empty Re: My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals.

Post by rbacl Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 am

My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals. Clap

I think that's wonderful. Having a great goal is inspirational, and being organized is essential. 'If you don't plan it, it won't happen.'

Feel free to tell us how it is going periodically.

rbacl
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 27
Length of time playing piano : a few years in childhood, now seeking to kindle
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-10-30

Back to top Go down

My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals. Empty Re: My "Screw the system, this can be done!" goals.

Post by VictorCS Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:11 pm

It's great to aim high. 3 hours a day, for ten years, and you'll be good. I do believe you'd be better of aiming for composing than aiming for concert pianist. For once, young pianists that practice to be a concert pianists today will allways push the limits and be better, because when they are 11-12 they already have atleast 10k hours behind the piano. When they reach your age they'll have the double amount.

Composing music doesnt require to play each and every note perfect ( nothing can be perfect tho ), or learning huge amount og sheets. It requires you to use your creativity and skills of understanding.

I myself have started concentrating on composing music, I've done alittle bit for 2-3 years, but in october i decided I would spend more time composing than learning new pieces and actually manage to complete them, and not make em half way ^_^

But even do you cant beat the pianists that start when they where kids, I suppose you could manage to get to the level where you play in a concert hall. I dont think we should limit what we can do when it's actually doable.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down