Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angela & Thomas song disscussion

+4
VictorCS
pianohama
Angela
Thomandy
8 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Angela & Thomas song disscussion - Page 5 Empty Re: Angela & Thomas song disscussion

Post by Angela Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:08 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:
100% on an exam?? Gee I've never heard of THAT ever happening. Usually an examiner can find SOMETHING to dock a student on.... but if someone COULD do it, Yundi Li probably could!!!! Well it sounds like you are already doing some sighreading:) It's a good skill to have especially if you ever have to accompany other instruments of voice. You don't ALWAYS get A LOT of time to learn a piece so if your sighreading skills are good, then that helps. OMG. there's like this amazing sighreader/accomapnist guy in Victoria and I got him to accompany me for my Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini by Rachmaninov and he like SIGHREAD his part while I played along!!! AND HIS PART WAS SOOOO HARD! But that's interesting about the staffs being like a mirror:) I can't remember HOW I learned the staffs. All I know is it was extremely difficult! hahahahaa! That's good that you are keeping Fur Elise and Turkish march.... or rondo alla turka. However you wanna refer to it! haha! Those are great pieces and you worked VERY hard on them so you might as well keep'em!! Those pieces are timeless Very Happy

Yeah Smile Thats is probably almost impossible. Over 90 is Amazing! Smile
Yeah, Im getting better and better at reading sheets. But I cant play at the same time, hehe Razz If there is only one hand, I can do some, but.. Im gona practice sightreading while playing someday.. Are you good at that??

Oh, I see. I guess he was very impressing then. There are some great Sightreaders. I guess it takes time. Like: I can read fex a letter or something and typing at the same time. Dont need to watch the keyboard on the Pc. Its harder of course to play piano, But its the same idea, kind of Razz So maybe someday Smile

So it was hard to learn?? I thought the system was easy to understand, but I guess a 23 year old SHOULD pick the system up pretty fast Razz Its not hard at all. I used a couple of hours to get it. Basicely its just counting from Middle C, up and down. And lsuddanly you can count from other notes/keys and then one day, you know them by hart. Still some notes that I have to count, especially far over and under the cleffs.. =)

So, when are we going to see your performance?????? Wink hehe Now go Kick Andrews ass for being late Wink haha, just kidding of course. I know he is in the middle of settling. Smile And Btw; I have probably used 4times the time to get Fur Elise at a good level than the Ronda alla Turca.. I started Fur Elise, full score after 2 months, its a bit to soon Razz hehe... parhaps. Smile
And now since I got mouthdiarea I actually got the section C learned on the Maple LR. Only the easy section D left Very Happy
But Sec. C is VERY slow Razz Learned it last night!! Razz

Now Im gona stop Razz:P

Yeah. That guy was flipping INSANE when it came to sighreading! He was also one of the NICEST people I've met:) As for MY sighreading... Well I'm ok!!! I need to work on it more. Taking vocal repertoire class here REALLY helped me with sighreading because we didn't always HAVE a lot of time to get the piece totally perfect. Not only did we have to learn our NOTES we had to REHEARSE the pieces which ALSO took time! Yeah I did find reading off the staff difficult, but or course, a 6 year old is gonna find it harder than a 23 year old! hahaha! That's why older students are so nice to teach! We can spend more time on fine details like sound production than on notes since they can figure that out pretty quickly! And being BIGGER, you were probably able to get around the KEYBOARD easier! hahahahaa! So you got through that C section of the Maple leaf rag?? Nice! So now the easy stuff is left. Wow! That was fast! augh! As for my performance?? Andrew will get to it! haha! I went through the WHOLE fantasie (movements 1,2,and 3) and I can still remember it. Do you memorize a lot? I've seen you play withought the music on some of your vids. I find playing stuff by memory a lot easier than playing with music. I find using music to be a bit of a pain. PLUS if you have everything memorized, it won't be a big deal if you realize you forgot your music at home 10 minutes before a performance! hahaha! Unless of course you forget your whole HEAD..... yikes! Morbid picture! Shocked

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 103
Job/hobbies : piano teacher, playing piano, working out, reading
Length of time playing piano : 18 years
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Angela & Thomas song disscussion - Page 5 Empty Re: Angela & Thomas song disscussion

Post by Thomandy Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:49 am

Angela wrote:
Yeah. That guy was flipping INSANE when it came to sighreading! He was also one of the NICEST people I've met:) As for MY sighreading... Well I'm ok!!! I need to work on it more. Taking vocal repertoire class here REALLY helped me with sighreading because we didn't always HAVE a lot of time to get the piece totally perfect. Not only did we have to learn our NOTES we had to REHEARSE the pieces which ALSO took time! Yeah I did find reading off the staff difficult, but or course, a 6 year old is gonna find it harder than a 23 year old! hahaha! That's why older students are so nice to teach! We can spend more time on fine details like sound production than on notes since they can figure that out pretty quickly! And being BIGGER, you were probably able to get around the KEYBOARD easier! hahahahaa! So you got through that C section of the Maple leaf rag?? Nice! So now the easy stuff is left. Wow! That was fast! augh! As for my performance?? Andrew will get to it! haha! I went through the WHOLE fantasie (movements 1,2,and 3) and I can still remember it. Do you memorize a lot? I've seen you play withought the music on some of your vids. I find playing stuff by memory a lot easier than playing with music. I find using music to be a bit of a pain. PLUS if you have everything memorized, it won't be a big deal if you realize you forgot your music at home 10 minutes before a performance! hahaha! Unless of course you forget your whole HEAD..... yikes! Morbid picture! Shocked

Hehe. That would be cool so see Smile I have seen some sightreadingpieces on youtube and its almost hard t belive that it is possible Smile Yeah, Its a big difference between learning at 6 and 23 Razz hehe But I would rather have started at 6 Sad hehe.. Then I would probably have majord in Music. I might consider that later in life if it turns out I got tallent for it Smile

Do you teach alot?? What do you charge? I know Andrew Charges 30$.

Yeah. I know how to play the C- section but its hard jumps for sure. It will take some time to get them up to speed. Maby im not at a stage where I can pull it of. But time will tell Smile Well, I Never Use Cheets while playing. Its impossible for me to do that. The sheets are just there by random. But Im not gona have any sheets in my vids anymor, cause Sooo many people ask me if I use the sheets, on Youtube Razz hehehe So I memorize Every single note for every piece I play Smile On my bigger pieces I use 2-3 hours and on the smaller pieces I use 30-60min to learn by hart. Often I need the sheets just to refresh the next day. But it sticks pretty fast now.

I think I got fair memory. I have learned a 3 page piece now the last two days, and conected LH and RH. Its a really nice piece written by a 9year old youtuber. Its awesome Smile Might be a grade 3-4-5 piece. Lots of Albertie's, and it got a cool sound to it. Smile Looking forward to recording that Smile

Ah, Fantasie is a great piece Smile I have listened to it a couple of times Smile
Hehe, so you have forgotten your sheets?? That sucks if you really need them Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Hehe. That would be cool so see Smile I have seen some sightreadingpieces on youtube and its almost hard t belive that it is possible Smile Yeah, Its a big difference between learning at 6 and 23 Razz hehe But I would rather have started at 6 Sad hehe.. Then I would probably have majord in Music. I might consider that later in life if it turns out I got tallent for it Smile

Do you teach alot?? What do you charge? I know Andrew Charges 30$.

Yeah. I know how to play the C- section but its hard jumps for sure. It will take some time to get them up to speed. Maby im not at a stage where I can pull it of. But time will tell Smile Well, I Never Use Cheets while playing. Its impossible for me to do that. The sheets are just there by random. But Im not gona have any sheets in my vids anymor, cause Sooo many people ask me if I use the sheets, on Youtube Razz hehehe So I memorize Every single note for every piece I play Smile On my bigger pieces I use 2-3 hours and on the smaller pieces I use 30-60min to learn by hart. Often I need the sheets just to refresh the next day. But it sticks pretty fast now.

I think I got fair memory. I have learned a 3 page piece now the last two days, and conected LH and RH. Its a really nice piece written by a 9year old youtuber. Its awesome Smile Might be a grade 3-4-5 piece. Lots of Albertie's, and it got a cool sound to it. Smile Looking forward to recording that Smile

Ah, Fantasie is a great piece Smile I have listened to it a couple of times Smile
Hehe, so you have forgotten your sheets?? That sucks if you really need them Razz

Me?? Teach?? affraid Aaaa! Well Yeah I have abit. I charge about that much, $30. You've definitely got the DRIVE for music:) I mean Rondo alla Turka after like not even a year of playing? Geesh! Now THAT is DRIVE! As for the C section of Maple Leaf rag, it sounds like you need a bit more time to get to know that hard section: It's not like you can't DO it!!! There's like this one little passage in my brahms concerto that comes back TWICE.... and for some darned REASON, i keep messing it up!!! Very frustrating but I probably just need more time on that too. That's good that you aren't using music as much when you perform. I feel if I have a piece memorized, I can enjoy the music more. ya know let the fingers do their thing and just enjoy:) So where did you find this piece by a 9year old youtuber? Are ya gonna post that one some time? Speaking of new pieces, I've started learning Ravel's "Pavane pour une infant defunte". Translates as Pavane to a dead princess. Wow. It's not a long piece but it sure is beautiful. And if i DARE say... it's not super difficult as far as notes are concerned. Not like Alborada del gracioso. Aa! THAT piece was killer! That's where I got my callouses from! Have I forgotten my music? lol, well yeah. once. I was getting ready to play at a local competition and I grabbed my music before I left. Well guess WHAT? I had GRABBED THE WRONG MUSIC!!!! And I realize this about 20 minutes before I had to perform. Luckily my parents were there so they rushed back and got the RIGHT music. My dad was like swearing and stuff so it was pretty funny Laughing . I couldn't believe it! Like I was so surprised I did that because that has NEVER happened to me! Even when I was on my own in Victoria, that never happened ONCE! Geez. Anyways, here's a recording of Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunt played by the brilliant SVIATOSLAV RICHTER! He died I think in 1997, but I swear. This guy was a freak of nature because he was so amazing. Anyways, enjoy (bring out some kleenex Surprised )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuFwt66Vr6U

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 am

Angela wrote:
Me?? Teach?? affraid Aaaa! Well Yeah I have abit. I charge about that much, $30. You've definitely got the DRIVE for music:) I mean Rondo alla Turka after like not even a year of playing? Geesh! Now THAT is DRIVE! As for the C section of Maple Leaf rag, it sounds like you need a bit more time to get to know that hard section: It's not like you can't DO it!!! There's like this one little passage in my brahms concerto that comes back TWICE.... and for some darned REASON, i keep messing it up!!! Very frustrating but I probably just need more time on that too. That's good that you aren't using music as much when you perform. I feel if I have a piece memorized, I can enjoy the music more. ya know let the fingers do their thing and just enjoy:) So where did you find this piece by a 9year old youtuber? Are ya gonna post that one some time? Speaking of new pieces, I've started learning Ravel's "Pavane pour une infant defunte". Translates as Pavane to a dead princess. Wow. It's not a long piece but it sure is beautiful. And if i DARE say... it's not super difficult as far as notes are concerned. Not like Alborada del gracioso. Aa! THAT piece was killer! That's where I got my callouses from! Have I forgotten my music? lol, well yeah. once. I was getting ready to play at a local competition and I grabbed my music before I left. Well guess WHAT? I had GRABBED THE WRONG MUSIC!!!! And I realize this about 20 minutes before I had to perform. Luckily my parents were there so they rushed back and got the RIGHT music. My dad was like swearing and stuff so it was pretty funny Laughing . I couldn't believe it! Like I was so surprised I did that because that has NEVER happened to me! Even when I was on my own in Victoria, that never happened ONCE! Geez. Anyways, here's a recording of Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunt played by the brilliant SVIATOSLAV RICHTER! He died I think in 1997, but I swear. This guy was a freak of nature because he was so amazing. Anyways, enjoy (bring out some kleenex Surprised )

Akay, 30$ is a fair price I guess Smile Well, yeah, Im satiesfied with The Rondo, and that the maple leaf was so easy. Smile
And as for sheetmusic, I never use it when I perfrome actually. Thats way to hard for me to read sheets and play at the same time Razz

Ah, so you have these passages to?! Its frustrating to mess up. Im actually messing up more in the beginning in easyer pieces. Its cause I go to fast. I feel that I can play it uptempo right away Razz hehe I should do a slowpracticeday on them to, but Im to eager to get it right away. But the harder pieces I know I have to get it right before I play faster.

Haha, so your dad was mad then. Heehe, thats a fun sight. I guess you got pretty stressed? How did that performance go?

She is a youtubefriend of mine. Commenting some on my vids and Im commenting on hers. Her mother runs her accaunt and I asked for the sheets and got it in via Email. It was actually cind of hard at first. Well, the first hour or two. Cause I am NOT used to lots of Alberties. But I finally got everything right today. So Im planing on 2-3 days of some practice, and recording this weekend if nothing gets in the way Smile She is defenently a tallented composer and pianist Smile Shes 11 now I think...

Ah, Ill check that link now Smile Looking forward to it. Hehe, hopefully i wont need kleenex Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Akay, 30$ is a fair price I guess Smile Well, yeah, Im satiesfied with The Rondo, and that the maple leaf was so easy. Smile
And as for sheetmusic, I never use it when I perfrome actually. Thats way to hard for me to read sheets and play at the same time Razz

Ah, so you have these passages to?! Its frustrating to mess up. Im actually messing up more in the beginning in easyer pieces. Its cause I go to fast. I feel that I can play it uptempo right away Razz hehe I should do a slowpracticeday on them to, but Im to eager to get it right away. But the harder pieces I know I have to get it right before I play faster.

Haha, so your dad was mad then. Heehe, thats a fun sight. I guess you got pretty stressed? How did that performance go?

She is a youtubefriend of mine. Commenting some on my vids and Im commenting on hers. Her mother runs her accaunt and I asked for the sheets and got it in via Email. It was actually cind of hard at first. Well, the first hour or two. Cause I am NOT used to lots of Alberties. But I finally got everything right today. So Im planing on 2-3 days of some practice, and recording this weekend if nothing gets in the way Smile She is defenently a tallented composer and pianist Smile Shes 11 now I think...

Ah, Ill check that link now Smile Looking forward to it. Hehe, hopefully i wont need kleenex Smile

Yeah gotta be careful with those faster pieces. If you practise them too fast before doing enough slow practise, bad habits develop. THEN those are a PAIN to undo! In my Alborada del gracioso, I had done something weird with the fingering for the repeated notes. I tried to correct it but since I had done it for SO long (and didn't even realize it) I couldn't undo it. NOT even with all the slow practise i did, I still couldn't. Luckily it didn't interfere too much with performance so I was lucky there!!! YEAH! my dad was NOT happy about me grabbing the wrong music. I felt like a complete idiot myself. As for the performance, well it went ok:) I still got honour's with distinction for it so I couldn't complain. Yeah some people just have a thing for composing. I have a friend who i met at UVic. he goes to UBC in Vancouver now and he is a brilliant composer as well. Very intelligent and also a fine pianist as well. He;s the nicest guy ever though!!! So how did you like the link? Isn't that a beautiful piece??

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 am

Angela wrote:
Yeah gotta be careful with those faster pieces. If you practise them too fast before doing enough slow practise, bad habits develop. THEN those are a PAIN to undo! In my Alborada del gracioso, I had done something weird with the fingering for the repeated notes. I tried to correct it but since I had done it for SO long (and didn't even realize it) I couldn't undo it. NOT even with all the slow practise i did, I still couldn't. Luckily it didn't interfere too much with performance so I was lucky there!!! YEAH! my dad was NOT happy about me grabbing the wrong music. I felt like a complete idiot myself. As for the performance, well it went ok:) I still got honour's with distinction for it so I couldn't complain. Yeah some people just have a thing for composing. I have a friend who i met at UVic. he goes to UBC in Vancouver now and he is a brilliant composer as well. Very intelligent and also a fine pianist as well. He;s the nicest guy ever though!!! So how did you like the link? Isn't that a beautiful piece??

Yeah Smile Ill try to not create any bad habits. But actually I found The Maple Leaf Rag on a Sheetsite as a grade 6/9!! Razz
I thought it was 8/9 or 10/11. But, hm.. now Im not sure Razz Dosnt really matter. Its a cool piece. But its actually more fun if it actually was a topgraded piece.

Yeah, I would love to be a good composer someday. I have gotten alot of great comments on my Prelude. I am very satiesfied with that to. I feel I managed to compose a sad piece matching the Romantic period. Razz And ofcourse its up to others do agree or disagree Razz

Yeah, I liked it. I didnt need the clineex, but I found it relaxing Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:08 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Yeah Smile Ill try to not create any bad habits. But actually I found The Maple Leaf Rag on a Sheetsite as a grade 6/9!! Razz
I thought it was 8/9 or 10/11. But, hm.. now Im not sure Razz Dosnt really matter. Its a cool piece. But its actually more fun if it actually was a topgraded piece.

Yeah, I would love to be a good composer someday. I have gotten alot of great comments on my Prelude. I am very satiesfied with that to. I feel I managed to compose a sad piece matching the Romantic period. Razz And ofcourse its up to others do agree or disagree Razz

Yeah, I liked it. I didnt need the clineex, but I found it relaxing Smile

haha! Glad you liked the ravel piece. Hmmmm. As far as Maple leaf rag is concerned, it's graded as gr.10 here. Your prelude? Hmmm I don't remember it. I'll have to check you YouTube channel to see. I might have missed it! lol! Ah that's nice that you compose in a Romantic style. Some of the composers today compose stuff that sounds a bit too crazy for me! Like I started this.... TERRIBLE 20th century piece last year. It was SO awful. I actually didn't know how awful it was until I started it. Luckily, my teacher let me change it. But wow! Every time I practised it it was like the most PAINFUL hour of the day! AAAGH! hahaa! Anyways, it was so excruciating for both me and my teacher, that he assigned me Messiaen instead! haha! GOOD MOVE! AAA! I was practising today and NOTHING would work for me No . It's like my fingers decided they weren't gonna do it today. I tried to get them to do SOMETHING. And they did A LITTLE, but I could tell. They were telling me "No! We are on strike until further notice!" Well, HOW ABOUT THAT! So I quit earlier than usual. OMG. I was on Youtube yesterday and check this out! Basso Profondo! These guys are singing SO low it's amazing. I mean... I didn't even know it was humanly POSSIBLE to sing THIS low! And YES! These in fact ARE real people singing!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpD2Cspn6g. Cool stuff!!!!

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:22 am

Angela wrote:
haha! Glad you liked the ravel piece. Hmmmm. As far as Maple leaf rag is concerned, it's graded as gr.10 here. Your prelude? Hmmm I don't remember it. I'll have to check you YouTube channel to see. I might have missed it! lol! Ah that's nice that you compose in a Romantic style. Some of the composers today compose stuff that sounds a bit too crazy for me! Like I started this.... TERRIBLE 20th century piece last year. It was SO awful. I actually didn't know how awful it was until I started it. Luckily, my teacher let me change it. But wow! Every time I practised it it was like the most PAINFUL hour of the day! AAAGH! hahaa! Anyways, it was so excruciating for both me and my teacher, that he assigned me Messiaen instead! haha! GOOD MOVE! AAA! I was practising today and NOTHING would work for me No . It's like my fingers decided they weren't gonna do it today. I tried to get them to do SOMETHING. And they did A LITTLE, but I could tell. They were telling me "No! We are on strike until further notice!" Well, HOW ABOUT THAT! So I quit earlier than usual. OMG. I was on Youtube yesterday and check this out! Basso Profondo! These guys are singing SO low it's amazing. I mean... I didn't even know it was humanly POSSIBLE to sing THIS low! And YES! These in fact ARE real people singing!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpD2Cspn6g. Cool stuff!!!!

Ah, then Ill trust you Wink Yeah. I like alot of chopin. And he was a great romantic composer, if im not terribly mistaken Razz hehe
But you didnt miss my Prelude. You actually wrote this as a comment: "Wow! That was mesmerizing. Whoa. Keep it up!"
I remember that comment very well since that was very meaningful to me Smile

Yeah, I have heard some of those comps, made today. And MANY "classical" pieces today are dreadful Sad
You almost have to turn t filmmusic to get good compositions, Like the Titanictheme is great, and lots from Danny Elfman +
Maby Ill get a breaktrough in 20 year, hahaha, that would be fun. BUT, never gona happen Razz hehe
Oh, what piece was that????? Razz haha, good you got to start a new one. You should never play if you arent passionate about it. I saw this documentary and the topteachers there said that, even thoug pieces might be good for learning, if you dont like it, the effect might have a negative instead of an positive inpact on the pianist.

Haha, strike until further notice Wink Good one, what is the demands? Maby they want a pedicure, or was is manicure Razz On of them is footcare Razz haha, i cant remember which one Razz

Ah, Ill check that one out now Smile Great that you are sharing some fun Wink

Edit: Just watched it - DAMN!!! That was cind of scary Razz Impressing! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Ah, then Ill trust you Wink Yeah. I like alot of chopin. And he was a great romantic composer, if im not terribly mistaken Razz hehe
But you didnt miss my Prelude. You actually wrote this as a comment: "Wow! That was mesmerizing. Whoa. Keep it up!"
I remember that comment very well since that was very meaningful to me Smile

Yeah, I have heard some of those comps, made today. And MANY "classical" pieces today are dreadful Sad
You almost have to turn t filmmusic to get good compositions, Like the Titanictheme is great, and lots from Danny Elfman +
Maby Ill get a breaktrough in 20 year, hahaha, that would be fun. BUT, never gona happen Razz hehe
Oh, what piece was that????? Razz haha, good you got to start a new one. You should never play if you arent passionate about it. I saw this documentary and the topteachers there said that, even thoug pieces might be good for learning, if you dont like it, the effect might have a negative instead of an positive inpact on the pianist.

Haha, strike until further notice Wink Good one, what is the demands? Maby they want a pedicure, or was is manicure Razz On of them is footcare Razz haha, i cant remember which one Razz

Ah, Ill check that one out now Smile Great that you are sharing some fun Wink

Edit: Just watched it - DAMN!!! That was cind of scary Razz Impressing! Smile

hahahahaaaaa! That post was hilarious!! After I read it I was like laughing so hard! Oh! So I did see the prelude! Ok! Well I'm very happy that my comment was meaningful to you!!!Smile Yeah no kidding! Some of the 20th century classical music is completely insane! I'm just like "what is THAT?? confused " SOME of it isn't too bad though. Andrew's Pas de Deux I believe is a 20th century piece but it sounds very nice. Very romantic and passionate. There's also a piece I did during my fourth year at UVic called "In memorium to the Victims of Chornobyl" and that is a very intense piece that is suppose to depict that nuclear disaster in Chornobyl. it sounds "ugly" but then again, it's depicting an ugly event. that's interesting about what you said about learning pieces that one isn't passionate about. I suppose it makes sense. I had to learn a haydn sonata I absolutely HATED!!! After I was FINALLY done with that piece, I said to myself "I hate haydn's music! I'll never play it again!!!" But now this year, I'm playing a theme and variations by Haydn and I just CAN'T get enough of the piece!!!! Maybe one of the negative impacts is that if one happens to learn a piece by a certain composer but doesn't like that piece, that could make them HATE that composer. I dunno!!!

As for my hands? Well I have no idea what their demands are!!! I think they are just being stubborn. Maybe they will be better in a day or two. (Oh and Manicure is for the hands, pedicure is for the foot)

Yeah, that Basso Profondo thing kinda creeped me out too. I think it's because the voices were singing lower than I'm used to hearing. Like hearing these singers sing THAT low I was like "AAAAA! affraid " But after a couple fo listens, I got used to the incredibly, ridiculously low voices and now I think it's quite nice. Here's another choral piece by RACHMANINOV!!!! Man this guy WAS a genius!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVKdE9ZEVE

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 am

Angela wrote:
hahahahaaaaa! That post was hilarious!! After I read it I was like laughing so hard! Oh! So I did see the prelude! Ok! Well I'm very happy that my comment was meaningful to you!!!Smile Yeah no kidding! Some of the 20th century classical music is completely insane! I'm just like "what is THAT?? confused " SOME of it isn't too bad though. Andrew's Pas de Deux I believe is a 20th century piece but it sounds very nice. Very romantic and passionate. There's also a piece I did during my fourth year at UVic called "In memorium to the Victims of Chornobyl" and that is a very intense piece that is suppose to depict that nuclear disaster in Chornobyl. it sounds "ugly" but then again, it's depicting an ugly event. that's interesting about what you said about learning pieces that one isn't passionate about. I suppose it makes sense. I had to learn a haydn sonata I absolutely HATED!!! After I was FINALLY done with that piece, I said to myself "I hate haydn's music! I'll never play it again!!!" But now this year, I'm playing a theme and variations by Haydn and I just CAN'T get enough of the piece!!!! Maybe one of the negative impacts is that if one happens to learn a piece by a certain composer but doesn't like that piece, that could make them HATE that composer. I dunno!!!

As for my hands? Well I have no idea what their demands are!!! I think they are just being stubborn. Maybe they will be better in a day or two. (Oh and Manicure is for the hands, pedicure is for the foot)

Yeah, that Basso Profondo thing kinda creeped me out too. I think it's because the voices were singing lower than I'm used to hearing. Like hearing these singers sing THAT low I was like "AAAAA! affraid " But after a couple fo listens, I got used to the incredibly, ridiculously low voices and now I think it's quite nice. Here's another choral piece by RACHMANINOV!!!! Man this guy WAS a genius!

Hhee Smile Well yeah Smile I have started a couple of comps that Im having a bit of trubble finishing. Seem like my creativity just stops Razz But I made one classically inspired yesterday! Just got to practice that one abit more! Razz

I havnt heard to much 20st pianomusic. Hm, maby in 300 years that is the music being played as classics Razz Hopefully todays classical music wont be forgotten! Razz Might be forgotten someday. But not in some centeries! Maby never, who knows. But older pianomusic kicks moderns pianomusics ass. At least what I have heard of it Razz

Yeah, you are right about that. If you learn a bad piece by one Composer you might hate the composer, and not just see that that composition wasnt anything for you. I recorded a small Hydn Serenade that was very nice for some time ago Smile I havnt to much knowledgje about him, but I think I like him, hehe Smile Favorites might be Chopin first, and I love Beethoven to. Bach is a bit behind in the line. Liszt of course, but not on top. Mozart also behind Chopin and Beethove.. They might be charing the firstplace Razz hehe

Yeah, your fingers wont be on strike for so long Wink They might get bored! Razz
But I have also had some days where my fingers wont do what they are told. That is frustrating for sure!

Ah, il check it out... hehehe - RACHMANINOV had big hands Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Hhee Smile Well yeah Smile I have started a couple of comps that Im having a bit of trubble finishing. Seem like my creativity just stops Razz But I made one classically inspired yesterday! Just got to practice that one abit more! Razz

I havnt heard to much 20st pianomusic. Hm, maby in 300 years that is the music being played as classics Razz Hopefully todays classical music wont be forgotten! Razz Might be forgotten someday. But not in some centeries! Maby never, who knows. But older pianomusic kicks moderns pianomusics ass. At least what I have heard of it Razz

Yeah, you are right about that. If you learn a bad piece by one Composer you might hate the composer, and not just see that that composition wasnt anything for you. I recorded a small Hydn Serenade that was very nice for some time ago Smile I havnt to much knowledgje about him, but I think I like him, hehe Smile Favorites might be Chopin first, and I love Beethoven to. Bach is a bit behind in the line. Liszt of course, but not on top. Mozart also behind Chopin and Beethove.. They might be charing the firstplace Razz hehe

Yeah, your fingers wont be on strike for so long Wink They might get bored! Razz
But I have also had some days where my fingers wont do what they are told. That is frustrating for sure!

Ah, il check it out... hehehe - RACHMANINOV had big hands Razz hehe

huh? AAAA! affraid Andrew posted my Schumann already! Thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed some Schumann. What a man! Ironic thing is I just happen to be wearing that exact shirt today AND I played through all three movements of that piece earlier today too. Weirdness! Soooooo..... gonna pick up that Traumerei some time???? SCHUMANN FEST! WOO HOO!

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm

Angela wrote:
huh? AAAA! affraid Andrew posted my Schumann already! Thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed some Schumann. What a man! Ironic thing is I just happen to be wearing that exact shirt today AND I played through all three movements of that piece earlier today too. Weirdness! Soooooo..... gonna pick up that Traumerei some time???? SCHUMANN FEST! WOO HOO!

Yeah. Its wellplaced in my favorites! Smile It was awesome! And I love that its so long cause I use longer pieces to sleep to, and relax to, and you playd all 12 min perfectly Smile Ill give you a 100% on that one Wink There! Finally you got a 100!!!! Not only Yundi that can get that score anymore Wink Awesome!!! cheers

Hm, I want to learn it, but Im not motivated to learn a slow-type of piece atm Sad
Actually Im not motivated to learn anything at the moment. Still got the last part of Maple left to learn.
I have decided to get it by hart this week.. Do you got any advice on a piece I can learn?? Smile
Preferably a bit fast, semiknown or known and alot of fun! Wink hehehe If you got some advice cause Im looking for a piece that get me that feeling that: THAT I GOT TO LEARN!!!! NOW!! Razz hehe

I also listened to Brams last night. And thought about you since you are a Bram-fan. It was the hungarian dance!! I have heard it before, but didnt remember anything of it! That was a cool piece! Do you know how to play it??

Ps: What does TRIO mean. Its written over the C-Section in Maple Leaf Rag. And i didnt find it it the term-topic at the forum Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Yeah. Its wellplaced in my favorites! Smile It was awesome! And I love that its so long cause I use longer pieces to sleep to, and relax to, and you playd all 12 min perfectly Smile Ill give you a 100% on that one Wink There! Finally you got a 100!!!! Not only Yundi that can get that score anymore Wink Awesome!!! cheers

Hm, I want to learn it, but Im not motivated to learn a slow-type of piece atm Sad
Actually Im not motivated to learn anything at the moment. Still got the last part of Maple left to learn.
I have decided to get it by hart this week.. Do you got any advice on a piece I can learn?? Smile
Preferably a bit fast, semiknown or known and alot of fun! Wink hehehe If you got some advice cause Im looking for a piece that get me that feeling that: THAT I GOT TO LEARN!!!! NOW!! Razz hehe

I also listened to Brams last night. And thought about you since you are a Bram-fan. It was the hungarian dance!! I have heard it before, but didnt remember anything of it! That was a cool piece! Do you know how to play it??

Ps: What does TRIO mean. Its written over the C-Section in Maple Leaf Rag. And i didnt find it it the term-topic at the forum Razz

Hi Thomandy:) Yeah glad you enjoy the Schumann. As for your question about what Trio means, if you haven't already found out yet, it's a piece that's for 3 voices (for piano, we play all three because we can!!!) or three intruments. It can also be a middle section of a piece ie: minuet and trio, scherzo and trio. Actually, I think the second movement of sonata in A major K.331 no.11 (that's the sonata Rondo alla turka is from), is a minuet and trio. And the moonlight sonata second movement also has a trio section in it too. Anyways, hope that helps somewhat. What piece do I recomment you to learn?? hahah! Well.... since we're talking about Mozart's sonata in A major, have you ever thought of learning the FIRST movement of that? It's quite nice. It's a theme and variations and it isn't like "fluffy" sounding lol!!! I played that sonata before. And THEN I changed it to that Haydn sonata. I have no idea what drug I was on that influenced me to make that decision!!! hahaha! But yeah. I think you'd like that movement. You could do it. I mean.... if you can play that Rondo alla turka, you should be able to do this one. It will probably just take some time:) hahaha! There's a piece in this Leila Fletcher book 5 and it's an arrangement of "I've Been Working On the Railroad" and it is SO much fun! Quite showy, but it isn't super difficult except for the section where you have to play with your hands crossed over each other. Unfortunately, I don't have the music here with me. It's back at my parents' place, but Andrew might be able to find a copy. But i could SO see you playing that!!!! (from what I know of you!!!) OMG. I'm on a roll here! There's another piece I found "hungarian dance no.4...." well I have it here and the arrangement isn't super difficult. It's ok as long as you don't mind reading a lot of sharps. BUT it is SO fun! Very passionate and energetic! Anyways, hopefully that isn't too overwhelming. But the easiest one is the "I've been working on the Railroad" piece. So if you have any other questions about those pieces, let me know k???? tongue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADtL7a6wxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaatVheomAo&feature=related
Brahms but the arrangement I have with me isn't THIS hard!!!! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5FRin1WrBo&feature=related

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Ah, Im listening to the first movement now! Its Awesome! I have only heard the beginning before I think. This is a piece with alot of fun to it!! Smile
Its emotional, fast, slow, a litte of this and that, hehe, its like a candy - mix - bag Wink Well, its long. Ill consider it. I also got the Urge t learn the Chopin Valse that Andrew play on youtube. He suggested that as a great piece to learn. Damn, now I want both Sad

Ah, I havnt tryed any pieces yet that need handcrossoverteqniqe yet! Hehe.. But I have tryed som improv with that just to get the feel of it! Smile I might search the net and see if i fint that Ive been working on the railroad. Showpieces is fun! Smile But lots of other things are fun aswell. Like that first m of k331 sounds like A lot of fun to..

Yeah that Hungarian dance is awesome! Very Happy Isnt it like cheating to learn pieces that are arranged easyer?? hehe Smile

I was wondering: What is school for you like? What do you guys do?? And how do you get tested and in what?? Is it hard??
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 am

Thomandy wrote:Ah, Im listening to the first movement now! Its Awesome! I have only heard the beginning before I think. This is a piece with alot of fun to it!! Smile
Its emotional, fast, slow, a litte of this and that, hehe, its like a candy - mix - bag Wink Well, its long. Ill consider it. I also got the Urge t learn the Chopin Valse that Andrew play on youtube. He suggested that as a great piece to learn. Damn, now I want both Sad

Ah, I havnt tryed any pieces yet that need handcrossoverteqniqe yet! Hehe.. But I have tryed som improv with that just to get the feel of it! Smile I might search the net and see if i fint that Ive been working on the railroad. Showpieces is fun! Smile But lots of other things are fun aswell. Like that first m of k331 sounds like A lot of fun to..

Yeah that Hungarian dance is awesome! Very Happy Isnt it like cheating to learn pieces that are arranged easyer?? hehe Smile

I was wondering: What is school for you like? What do you guys do?? And how do you get tested and in what?? Is it hard??

haha! Yeah the mozart is a pretty piece! The second movement is also beautiful! The Trio section is SO cool! That has hand crossing too but it isn't too bad. Who knows! Maybe The mozart k.331 will be your first complere sonata! My fist complete sonata was the moonlight sonata! LOVE that one! Ah yes! I think it is the minute waltz you are talking about. Now THAT is a neat piece! It isn't too long yet it's showy:) But yeah! I was just naming stuff off the top of my head. Like the I've been working on the railroad thing is a piece that one can have fun with and it isn't MEANT to be serious!!! As for the Brahms Hungarian dance? Beg your pardon let me rephrase that: I have a version that LIES UNDER THE HAND better!!! Laughing For the piece, it isn't really CHEATING to play a version that is a bit more manageable. They can sound just as showy as the more difficult versions cyclops Actually... I think the hungarian dances were originally piano DUETS. It's just they have been arranged to different instruments possibly for their popularity:) So you can pretty much pick and choose which arrangement you want to do, since there are several out there!!!! But Ooooo! Can't WAIT to hear YOUR interpretation of the minute waltz!!!!! What a Face

As for school? Well it's fun even though it can be difficult!!! I enjoy it! We get to play big repertoire and do collaborative music, like playing for singers and instrumentalists. The only thing that's a bit of a bother in my program is the essay writing course. Sometimes, I think the profs take the question-everything-you-read thing a little TOO far.... to say the least. But it's a great experience:)

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 am

Angela wrote:haha! Yeah the mozart is a pretty piece! The second movement is also beautiful! The Trio section is SO cool! That has hand crossing too but it isn't too bad. Who knows! Maybe The mozart k.331 will be your first complere sonata! My fist complete sonata was the moonlight sonata! LOVE that one! Ah yes! I think it is the minute waltz you are talking about. Now THAT is a neat piece! It isn't too long yet it's showy:) But yeah! I was just naming stuff off the top of my head. Like the I've been working on the railroad thing is a piece that one can have fun with and it isn't MEANT to be serious!!! As for the Brahms Hungarian dance? Beg your pardon let me rephrase that: I have a version that LIES UNDER THE HAND better!!! Laughing For the piece, it isn't really CHEATING to play a version that is a bit more manageable. They can sound just as showy as the more difficult versions cyclops Actually... I think the hungarian dances were originally piano DUETS. It's just they have been arranged to different instruments possibly for their popularity:) So you can pretty much pick and choose which arrangement you want to do, since there are several out there!!!! But Ooooo! Can't WAIT to hear YOUR interpretation of the minute waltz!!!!! What a Face

As for school? Well it's fun even though it can be difficult!!! I enjoy it! We get to play big repertoire and do collaborative music, like playing for singers and instrumentalists. The only thing that's a bit of a bother in my program is the essay writing course. Sometimes, I think the profs take the question-everything-you-read thing a little TOO far.... to say the least. But it's a great experience:)

Yeah, I favorited two versions of it. Daaamn, why have I not heard that yet!!! I have barely heard the first min of it! Razz
Mozart is actually starting to climb the ladder. I guess I cant make any decisions yet on witch one is my favorite composer, hehe. To many pieces to hear, that I havnt heard. Complete? As in all movements? Maybe, since I really want to learn the first movement, but havnt found the sheets after about 45 min f looking for it Sad

As for the Menuet Waltz, hm.. It might be to hard?! What grade is that. It looks very hard. Andrew said He thought I could do it. Then I guess I can Smile hehe But even some of the pro-playings of it I dont like, I feel they rush it a bit just to "show of" - When Im saing that, I really mean the middle section. I think that should be very emotionally played. And then the fastparts can be fast as they want to be. Smile This girl actually got one of the better versions I think. And Andrew does a great interpetation aswell. I got the sheets, but hesatate a little. Hehe.. Looks so hard Razz Even though its short as you say, its 5 pages long. Probably repeted sections, well. I must think, its so cool!!! Smile

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1cOWyHmJg

((-The vid wouldnt show unless its as a link))

This is also Awesome:

He takes good time to express something in the middle section.

I see Smile Yeah, you are right. I guess thats not cheating Smile hehe
If I find the sheets ill start Mozart next I think, then Menuet Waltz after that, or maybe at the same time.
I need to finish the Maple Leaf Rag before I really get into anything new and big. But I only got the last 6 bars to learn. So.. Smile

Ah, I see Smile But youll get a degree that will come in handy in the future, and you are still young. I want to go school to, but I might be to old, and this proguy said that its impossible to be AWESOME if you starte after the age of 13-14. You can be good, but there is always some things that will ruin in the basicteqniqe, so schooling might be... aaah, I dont know. Maybe one day Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:haha! Yeah the mozart is a pretty piece! The second movement is also beautiful! The Trio section is SO cool! That has hand crossing too but it isn't too bad. Who knows! Maybe The mozart k.331 will be your first complere sonata! My fist complete sonata was the moonlight sonata! LOVE that one! Ah yes! I think it is the minute waltz you are talking about. Now THAT is a neat piece! It isn't too long yet it's showy:) But yeah! I was just naming stuff off the top of my head. Like the I've been working on the railroad thing is a piece that one can have fun with and it isn't MEANT to be serious!!! As for the Brahms Hungarian dance? Beg your pardon let me rephrase that: I have a version that LIES UNDER THE HAND better!!! Laughing For the piece, it isn't really CHEATING to play a version that is a bit more manageable. They can sound just as showy as the more difficult versions cyclops Actually... I think the hungarian dances were originally piano DUETS. It's just they have been arranged to different instruments possibly for their popularity:) So you can pretty much pick and choose which arrangement you want to do, since there are several out there!!!! But Ooooo! Can't WAIT to hear YOUR interpretation of the minute waltz!!!!! What a Face

Yeah, I favorited two versions of it. Daaamn, why have I not heard that yet!!! I have barely heard the first min of it! Razz
Mozart is actually starting to climb the ladder. I guess I cant make any decisions yet on witch one is my favorite composer, hehe. To many pieces to hear, that I havnt heard. Complete? As in all movements? Maybe, since I really want to learn the first movement, but havnt found the sheets after about 45 min f looking for it Sad

As for the Menuet Waltz, hm.. It might be to hard?! What grade is that. It looks very hard. Andrew said He thought I could do it. Then I guess I can Smile hehe But even some of the pro-playings of it I dont like, I feel they rush it a bit just to "show of" - When Im saing that, I really mean the middle section. I think that should be very emotionally played. And then the fastparts can be fast as they want to be. Smile This girl actually got one of the better versions I think. And Andrew does a great interpetation aswell. I got the sheets, but hesatate a little. Hehe.. Looks so hard Razz Even though its short as you say, its 5 pages long. Probably repeted sections, well. I must think, its so cool!!! Smile

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1cOWyHmJg

((-The vid wouldnt show unless its as a link))

This is also Awesome:

He takes good time to express something in the middle section.

I see Smile Yeah, you are right. I guess thats not cheating Smile hehe
If I find the sheets ill start Mozart next I think, then Menuet Waltz after that, or maybe at the same time.
I need to finish the Maple Leaf Rag before I really get into anything new and big. But I only got the last 6 bars to learn. So.. Smile

Ah, I see Smile But youll get a degree that will come in handy in the future, and you are still young. I want to go school to, but I might be to old, and this proguy said that its impossible to be AWESOME if you starte after the age of 13-14. You can be good, but there is always some things that will ruin in the basicteqniqe, so schooling might be... aaah, I dont know. Maybe one day Razz hehe

Ah I see! Well have you asked Andrew is he can find a copy of the music? If he can and has a scanner, he might be able to scan the music and send it to you? Something like that. I'm very technologically illiterate! hahahaha! but yeah that's always an option!! Minute waltz? Well I've never played that piece but I think it has its difficulties but it doesn't look like there's anything in there you CAN'T do!!!! I think it's one of those pieces that you HAVE to play relaxed in order to get through it so it could be a good piece for you to do!!!! As for the mozart, if you ever started that, just learn it slowly in parts so it isn't like " affraid AAAAAA! 20 pages of music!" (or however many pages it is! haha!) As for music school?? never say never! You're doing pretty well now! Just see where you will be in a few YEARS!!!!

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Angela wrote:
Ah I see! Well have you asked Andrew is he can find a copy of the music? If he can and has a scanner, he might be able to scan the music and send it to you? Something like that. I'm very technologically illiterate! hahahaha! but yeah that's always an option!! Minute waltz? Well I've never played that piece but I think it has its difficulties but it doesn't look like there's anything in there you CAN'T do!!!! I think it's one of those pieces that you HAVE to play relaxed in order to get through it so it could be a good piece for you to do!!!! As for the mozart, if you ever started that, just learn it slowly in parts so it isn't like " affraid AAAAAA! 20 pages of music!" (or however many pages it is! haha!) As for music school?? never say never! You're doing pretty well now! Just see where you will be in a few YEARS!!!!

Hehe, I wont bother Andrew with that Wink He got enough to do, other than start doing my dirtywork aswell Smile Im sure Il find it online. Im not starting now anyways, maby in a week or two. Got to get full control on the Maple first! Smile

Yeah, I got the sheets in a book for Minuet Waltz. Since Andrew suggested it, it would be cool to follow up on that one!
And I really love that middle section. Its fast but still so beautiful. Not that fast cant be beautiful, but... Smile Yeah, you are probably right Smile And that Mozart, did you say 20 pages? Surprised That sounds like alot, hehe But Maby Ill manage it of I go at it as you say. Done by next summer then Wink hehe

Can never say never about school Smile You recomend it?
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:04 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Hehe, I wont bother Andrew with that Wink He got enough to do, other than start doing my dirtywork aswell Smile Im sure Il find it online. Im not starting now anyways, maby in a week or two. Got to get full control on the Maple first! Smile

Yeah, I got the sheets in a book for Minuet Waltz. Since Andrew suggested it, it would be cool to follow up on that one!
And I really love that middle section. Its fast but still so beautiful. Not that fast cant be beautiful, but... Smile Yeah, you are probably right Smile And that Mozart, did you say 20 pages? Surprised That sounds like alot, hehe But Maby Ill manage it of I go at it as you say. Done by next summer then Wink hehe

Can never say never about school Smile You recomend it?

hahah! Yeah you're right:) I don't know how you find music online since I am very bad with technology in general. For me, I just buy the books! loL! Costs a bit more $$$ but at least I still have my sanity! And just so we don't have a misunderstanding, the mozart k.331 1st movement isn't 20 pages!!!!! I just said that because I was being a drama queen and was exaggerating!!! haha! but don't let the length scare you or anything. It's long but it's not THAT long! Yeah well which ever one you wanna start first! Both are great pieces!!!

How is Maple leaf rag going anyways? Is it coming together somewhat?

Yeah! Never say never about music school:) There's a guy who just finished his undergrad in voice and is starting his first year master's this september...... and he's almost 40 years old and he has a wife and 2 kids!!!!!! Very Happy Oh! and when I was in my 4th year at UVic, I was accompanying this AMAZING master's level violinist and she was probably in her 30s (don't know for sure but she was older) and she had a husband and two year old twins.... who were making a ruckus at the grad ceremony which was very funny and cute! So yeah. Older people have been known to get into music school in university. do I recommend it? I think if you ever pursued it, it would be a great experience being around other musicians and being around such a musical atmosphere. I found I did better at Schools with a more relaxed and supportive atmosphere, which is why I love UWO so much!!!! Some schools have a more competitive atmosphere and if you can thrive in that, all the power to ya!!!!!! oh! I found a stunning recording of the minute waltz that might interest you. Played by Dinu Lipatti, a Romanian pianist/composer. Brilliant! Beautiful! I love you I love you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJ--k4I46g

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:29 am

Angela wrote:
hahah! Yeah you're right:) I don't know how you find music online since I am very bad with technology in general. For me, I just buy the books! loL! Costs a bit more $$$ but at least I still have my sanity! And just so we don't have a misunderstanding, the mozart k.331 1st movement isn't 20 pages!!!!! I just said that because I was being a drama queen and was exaggerating!!! haha! but don't let the length scare you or anything. It's long but it's not THAT long! Yeah well which ever one you wanna start first! Both are great pieces!!!

Yeah! Never say never about music school:) There's a guy who just finished his undergrad in voice and is starting his first year master's this september...... and he's almost 40 years old and he has a wife and 2 kids!!!!!! Very Happy Oh! and when I was in my 4th year at UVic, I was accompanying this AMAZING master's level violinist and she was probably in her 30s (don't know for sure but she was older) and she had a husband and two year old twins.... who were making a ruckus at the grad ceremony which was very funny and cute! So yeah. Older people have been known to get into music school in university. do I recommend it? I think if you ever pursued it, it would be a great experience being around other musicians and being around such a musical atmosphere. I found I did better at Schools with a more relaxed and supportive atmosphere, which is why I love UWO so much!!!! Some schools have a more competitive atmosphere and if you can thrive in that, all the power to ya!!!!!! oh! I found a stunning recording of the minute waltz that might interest you. Played by Dinu Lipatti, a Romanian pianist/composer. Brilliant! Beautiful! I love you I love you

Hehe Smile I started a piece that was 11 pages long. But that was like 1 month after I started playing. It was TitanicTheme.. And that was way to hard for me at the time. I learned 2 pages and played it but Bad, and it took soooo long to learn 1 bar Razz
Ill let you in on a secret Wink hehe... I wasnt really a big fan of classical music before I started to play piano. Razz
But now, It has become, maby my favoritemusic to listen to. Strange how those things can turn in such short period of time Smile
Okay, Im not so scared that its a long piece. I learned that Comp. from this 9year old girl, its a 3 page long piece In 2-3 hours. But its was actually harder to get it nice, so I used 1 week with practice.

BTW; I just found the sheets - its little over 6 pages Smile Its like 13 pages cause every sectin is repeted twice! Smile But it look harder than I though, alot harder. Its probably way up there conserning grade? Diffeculty! Razz

Its this if you havnt seen it. You asked if I was to post it I remember. Smile

Maple Leaf is comming along great actually. The C section is easyer than I thoght, even though Im not up to speed on that one, and a tricky as **** passage is a bit of still, but... I at least know the score by hart now.. Smile But I cant practice to much since its a bit though on my LF wrist. I got plenty of enjuries in that wrist from soccer and snwboard Razz So its affecting a little...

Ah, 40 year old Smile Then I got a chance someday parhaps. Well, you are lucky then that the atmosphere isnt to competative Smile
In this doc I saw, Juliard, is VERY competative... I dont know. Im not sure I want to go to a school like that. Id rather have friends that would help me acheve, than looking behind my back, to see if anyone is for real or not..

Wow, that was a Great Waltz Very Happy Anderw should get a chance to record with that Audio to, and I am sure it would sound just as nice Smile On his vid he uses a older cam, but still its one of the best ones on youtube Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 am

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Hehe Smile I started a piece that was 11 pages long. But that was like 1 month after I started playing. It was TitanicTheme.. And that was way to hard for me at the time. I learned 2 pages and played it but Bad, and it took soooo long to learn 1 bar Razz
Ill let you in on a secret Wink hehe... I wasnt really a big fan of classical music before I started to play piano. Razz
But now, It has become, maby my favoritemusic to listen to. Strange how those things can turn in such short period of time Smile
Okay, Im not so scared that its a long piece. I learned that Comp. from this 9year old girl, its a 3 page long piece In 2-3 hours. But its was actually harder to get it nice, so I used 1 week with practice.

BTW; I just found the sheets - its little over 6 pages Smile Its like 13 pages cause every sectin is repeted twice! Smile But it look harder than I though, alot harder. Its probably way up there conserning grade? Diffeculty! Razz

Its this if you havnt seen it. You asked if I was to post it I remember. Smile

Maple Leaf is comming along great actually. The C section is easyer than I thoght, even though Im not up to speed on that one, and a tricky as **** passage is a bit of still, but... I at least know the score by hart now.. Smile But I cant practice to much since its a bit though on my LF wrist. I got plenty of enjuries in that wrist from soccer and snwboard Razz So its affecting a little...

Ah, 40 year old Smile Then I got a chance someday parhaps. Well, you are lucky then that the atmosphere isnt to competative Smile
In this doc I saw, Juliard, is VERY competative... I dont know. Im not sure I want to go to a school like that. Id rather have friends that would help me acheve, than looking behind my back, to see if anyone is for real or not..

Wow, that was a Great Waltz Very Happy Anderw should get a chance to record with that Audio to, and I am sure it would sound just as nice Smile On his vid he uses a older cam, but still its one of the best ones on youtube Smile

haha! So u didn't like classical music much before huh? Well I'm glad you do now! Classical music is SOOOO not old fashioned! So the maple leaf rag is coming along and the C section isn't as hard as you thought? Yeah some sections or pieces, you just have to START it, then you realize it isn't so bad after all. There were a couple of pieces from the Klavierstucke by Brahms that kinda freaked me out 'cause they looked difficult! And they were!!! Laughing But once I started them, it wasn't as bad. You played soccer and you snowboard. Yeah I don't do that stuff! I am SO not an athlete!!! I used to jam my fingers in gym class when I was in high school. NOT fun!!!! But yeah. It's soo nice being at a school where it isn't so competitive. Everyone here at UWO is really friendly and supportive. I find it easier to learn in a less competitive atmosphere:) So I have my first lesson with my teacher tomorrow affraid . So I'm bracing myself here. He's very unpredictable so I never know what to expect from him. He can be in a really good mood one week and be in a cranky mood the next week!!! It can be a little scary, but it makes for some excitement at the same time. This teacher of mine is french and sometimes there's a bit of a language barrier that can make things stressful on both of us. AAAANYWAYS! We'll see if this goes ok. If I post tomorrow, that means I survived my lesson and my teacher didn't eat my alive! jk

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:08 am

Angela wrote:
haha! So u didn't like classical music much before huh? Well I'm glad you do now! Classical music is SOOOO not old fashioned! So the maple leaf rag is coming along and the C section isn't as hard as you thought? Yeah some sections or pieces, you just have to START it, then you realize it isn't so bad after all. There were a couple of pieces from the Klavierstucke by Brahms that kinda freaked me out 'cause they looked difficult! And they were!!! Laughing But once I started them, it wasn't as bad. You played soccer and you snowboard. Yeah I don't do that stuff! I am SO not an athlete!!! I used to jam my fingers in gym class when I was in high school. NOT fun!!!! But yeah. It's soo nice being at a school where it isn't so competitive. Everyone here at UWO is really friendly and supportive. I find it easier to learn in a less competitive atmosphere:) So I have my first lesson with my teacher tomorrow affraid . So I'm bracing myself here. He's very unpredictable so I never know what to expect from him. He can be in a really good mood one week and be in a cranky mood the next week!!! It can be a little scary, but it makes for some excitement at the same time. This teacher of mine is french and sometimes there's a bit of a language barrier that can make things stressful on both of us. AAAANYWAYS! We'll see if this goes ok. If I post tomorrow, that means I survived my lesson and my teacher didn't eat my alive! jk

Nope. I hadnt heard anything almost. We are not a big classical music family. I hade heard the beginning of fur elise and was kind of known to moonlight sonata and some others... But I saw classical music as the "horrible" bgmusic when the testimage came on tv when the programs where over for the day! Buts its just like anything, some classical music sucks, and some dont, and some you just love! Smile

What do you do in a schoolday? Most theory or is it more playing? And I guess you guys have to do recitals?! Or atleast play for eachother? Thats good that there is a good enviroment Smile

What? Hehe.. But is that a good teacher then?? Razz I would rather have a predictable teacher that was in a good mood at lessons than a shifting one... But he must be really good then?? hehe
Haha, hope he dosnt eat you Wink hehe

And about the maple leaf rag. I got it down now. I could try to record within a day or so, but there is this tiny passage from C to D that im kind of stuck on. I havnt practiced it as much as the rest so I have to give it more time cause of that!! Sad Just these two damn bars Sad The fun thing about this whole thing is that I never mess up Razz Well, 8/10 almost I manage to play trough with no errors. Smile That is promising for the recording of it Smile Like The Turkish March I used 5 hours trough the day Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Nope. I hadnt heard anything almost. We are not a big classical music family. I hade heard the beginning of fur elise and was kind of known to moonlight sonata and some others... But I saw classical music as the "horrible" bgmusic when the testimage came on tv when the programs where over for the day! Buts its just like anything, some classical music sucks, and some dont, and some you just love! Smile

What do you do in a schoolday? Most theory or is it more playing? And I guess you guys have to do recitals?! Or atleast play for eachother? Thats good that there is a good enviroment Smile

What? Hehe.. But is that a good teacher then?? Razz I would rather have a predictable teacher that was in a good mood at lessons than a shifting one... But he must be really good then?? hehe
Haha, hope he dosnt eat you Wink hehe

And about the maple leaf rag. I got it down now. I could try to record within a day or so, but there is this tiny passage from C to D that im kind of stuck on. I havnt practiced it as much as the rest so I have to give it more time cause of that!! Sad Just these two damn bars Sad The fun thing about this whole thing is that I never mess up Razz Well, 8/10 almost I manage to play trough with no errors. Smile That is promising for the recording of it Smile Like The Turkish March I used 5 hours trough the day Razz hehe

YAAAAAAAAAY! I went to my first lesson, and came out..... ALIVE Laughing . Yeah I was a bit nervous to go in yesterday, but it went quite well:) I played him my Haydn variations since that is my strongest piece, just so we kick the year off nicely!!!! But NEXT week....... who knows! Actually my teacher here IS a good teacher. Very particular AND he seems to pick out some great rep for me!!!! However, he almost pulled his little "I'm-gonna'change-your-rep-after-you spent-all-summer-working-on-it" stunt. Buuuuut, I said nope! Not gonna happen Laughing ! But every lesson is interesting since I never know what to expect! Good job at getting the maple leaf rag down!!!!! I am looking forward to hearing THAT one!

As for my school day, it's mostly playing:) One class has a bit to do with theory but in general, I do a lot of playing. And of COURSE there's the big grad recital at the end!!!! ALWAYS exciting! We get to play an hour's worth of music!!!! Last year I had more courses but this year, not as much!!!!!

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by kkbbccgg Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm

I also love Fur Elise and Monlight Sonata....but I'd like to add one more Beethoven favorite to the list....the popular name I know of is Rage over a lost penny...I don't know the actual name of the piece...but it's beautiful and powerful, quite different from Elise or Moonlight....
kkbbccgg
kkbbccgg
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : I work for the government. I build Web sites
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing for about 7 years now.
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Angela wrote:
YAAAAAAAAAY! I went to my first lesson, and came out..... ALIVE Laughing . Yeah I was a bit nervous to go in yesterday, but it went quite well:) I played him my Haydn variations since that is my strongest piece, just so we kick the year off nicely!!!! But NEXT week....... who knows! Actually my teacher here IS a good teacher. Very particular AND he seems to pick out some great rep for me!!!! However, he almost pulled his little "I'm-gonna'change-your-rep-after-you spent-all-summer-working-on-it" stunt. Buuuuut, I said nope! Not gonna happen Laughing ! But every lesson is interesting since I never know what to expect! Good job at getting the maple leaf rag down!!!!! I am looking forward to hearing THAT one!

As for my school day, it's mostly playing:) One class has a bit to do with theory but in general, I do a lot of playing. And of COURSE there's the big grad recital at the end!!!! ALWAYS exciting! We get to play an hour's worth of music!!!! Last year I had more courses but this year, not as much!!!!!

Aah, so good Smile hehe How did he receve your playing. Did he grade you or something?? Hope he is a bit more stabile so next week is good to, haha. Wow, so he almost, or at least tried to change your rep.. Thats not a good move though. I guess it would have been a different thing if it was the next day or something Razz But not a whole summervacation Razz

Okay. Damn, you are living the dream then Wink Just playing and having a blast at the piano all day long Wink hehehe, well almost Smile
And less courses = more pianoplaying/or time off to do other things Smile My second year on school was like that to, that was a great year Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next