Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What could be the best song to win a competition?

+4
Admin Andrew
pianohama
Thomandy
Adelbert0923
8 posters

Go down

What could be the best song to win a competition? Empty What could be the best song to win a competition?

Post by Adelbert0923 Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Yes. What could be the best song to win a competition? I'm thinking of a song which I could use to win a competition but I don't know what is the best song to use. I only have four months before the competition so I hope you can give me an advise about this. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Very Happy
Adelbert0923
Adelbert0923
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : College
Length of time playing piano : Total: 2months only coz I stopped...
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-19

https://www.youtube.com/user/Adelbert0923

Back to top Go down

What could be the best song to win a competition? Empty Re: What could be the best song to win a competition?

Post by Thomandy Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Adelbert0923 wrote:Yes. What could be the best song to win a competition? I'm thinking of a song which I could use to win a competition but I don't know what is the best song to use. I only have four months before the competition so I hope you can give me an advise about this. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Very Happy

It really depends on how good you are?? I dont know what to suggest, but moonlight sonata 1movement - Grade4. If you nail that emotionally you got a good chance I think! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

What could be the best song to win a competition? Empty Re: What could be the best song to win a competition?

Post by pianohama Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Go with something original, moonlight sonata, fur elise, etc, thse would be things to avoid. if its a classical piece you have to choose I would say you should try on a Rachmaninoff composition =) otherwise, you should try out some modern classical music(movie-music rox) go hans zimmer imo Very Happy
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:01 am

Could always try Chopin's E minor concerto it's only alittle over 100 pages long Very Happy (that's actually a GREAT piece to win competitions with)

but piano hama is right. It's best to go with something more unknown because playing things that everyone knows will only make you look bad because there will be so many people who could've played it better than you. Yet if it's unknown you could do a less than steller job and still look good if it was convincing ^_^
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:17 am

But either way, if you choose known or unknown piece, you HAVE to REALLY want to learn it. Thats my advice then since my Moonlight Sonata was ruled down, hehe Smile If you only choose a piece cause you think it will win, and not cause you want to play it, I am almost 100% sure that you wont manage to play the piece as good as if you had chosen something you really wanted to learn aswell! Smile

And there isnt anythinf wrong with choosing known pieces if you can learn to play them Greatly. I see many competitions have these really known pieces as main-pieces to contest with for Really Advanced players!! Like Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, Turkish March + So pick one you feel that: "THIS I GOT TO LEARN, I LOVE THIS PIECE!", then I think you stand a bigger chance Smile

Its how you performe it and what feelings you can awaken in the judges that is imortant, not if its this or that!! That my opinion Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm

It's usually good to pick a known piece, but not an over used piece.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:39 pm

VictorCS wrote:It's usually good to pick a known piece, but not an over used piece.
well thats very paradojical but true, but a frank opinion is that its not up to the piece BUT to the peformer to win the competition, a hard piece or advanced piece with a good tune and do a great show of technique but still i thiink its 100% up to the peformer to be worthy of winning the competition and not the piece in question
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelbert0923 Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Before anything else I like say thank you to everyone who gave their advices and opinions. I really appreciate that.
OK!.

I have my choices now and these are:

1. Fur Elise - Beethoven
2. Moonlight Sonata 1st movement - Beethoven
3. Turkish Mach - Mozart
4. Le Petit Negre - Debussy

Which of these could be the best song to use?

Now if you have more suggestions, advices, or opinions you're all free to post...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Very Happy
Adelbert0923
Adelbert0923
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Beethoven's are used pretty much everywhere....
I'll suggest you go with 3 or 4.

But it all depends on your skills to perform it.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Adelbert0923 wrote:Before anything else I like say thank you to everyone who gave their advices and opinions. I really appreciate that.
OK!.

I have my choices now and these are:

1. Fur Elise - Beethoven
2. Moonlight Sonata 1st movement - Beethoven
3. Turkish Mach - Mozart
4. Le Petit Negre - Debussy

Which of these could be the best song to use?

Now if you have more suggestions, advices, or opinions you're all free to post...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Very Happy

Well, 3 of the ones on that list is alreeady something I mentioned sunny hehe

Thomandy wrote:... I see many competitions have these really known pieces as main-pieces to contest with for Really Advanced players!! Like Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, Turkish March...

I have already said that I think you should go for Moonlight Sonata 1Mov. Master that emotionally and you got great chances.
Thats also technically alot easyer thatn the full Fur Elise and Turkish March. You dont got time to learn the other two good enough, I think in that time!! Le Petit Negre is my least favorite pieces but very different.

One vote for Moonlight Sonata 1M Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by CripKilla Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 pm

I suggest you
Chopin Op.28 no.4 Prelude It's only one page long and it's really beautiful!

And not that hard to play, but hard to have a great performance i guess cause if you follow the sheet and dont do your interpretation it will be bad.
CripKilla
CripKilla
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 423
Job/hobbies : Bank Robber
Length of time playing piano : Since Huamn Existence
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:38 am

CripKilla wrote:I suggest you
Chopin Op.28 no.4 Prelude It's only one page long and it's really beautiful!

And not that hard to play, but hard to have a great performance i guess cause if you follow the sheet and dont do your interpretation it will be bad.

He updated and said he only got 4 choices Smile

Fur Elise
Moonlight Sonata 1M
Turkish March
Le petite Negre
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:23 pm

that thing good about beethoven is that it never gets old
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelbert0923 Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:29 pm

What if I'm going to choose between Turkish March and Le Petit Negre? Very Happy
Adelbert0923
Adelbert0923
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Adelbert0923 wrote:What if I'm going to choose between Turkish March and Le Petit Negre? Very Happy

How long time do you got now?? And how good are you??? Smile

I dont know the grade and dificulty on le petit negre but I know the turkish march is 7/9, and that would demand some hours. There are some tricky parts that demands special atention to get also... Smile

Turkish March -

VS

Le Petite Negre

Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Adelbert0923 wrote:What if I'm going to choose between Turkish March and Le Petit Negre? Very Happy

Mmm ..
Turkish March Very Happy
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelbert0923 Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:28 pm

I have 4 hours to practice 5 - 6 times a week from Monday to Friday or Saturday...but I don't know how good I am.... Very Happy
Adelbert0923
Adelbert0923
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Adelbert0923 wrote:I have 4 hours to practice 5 - 6 times a week from Monday to Friday or Saturday...but I don't know how good I am.... Very Happy

Well: I used about 30 hours to get my Turkish march to the standard that is. And that got a 83/100 from Andrew...
So, if you are equal to me and got 4 hours every day, with Good practice-time that should take you about 7-8 days
but I practiced a lot less every day, so I think that the rest time is important to. So, its a hard nut to crack, but you just got to try!!! Then you will get the answer Smile And of course post here on the Forum Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelbert0923 Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:50 am

Thomandy wrote:
Adelbert0923 wrote:I have 4 hours to practice 5 - 6 times a week from Monday to Friday or Saturday...but I don't know how good I am.... Very Happy

Well: I used about 30 hours to get my Turkish march to the standard that is. And that got a 83/100 from Andrew...
So, if you are equal to me and got 4 hours every day, with Good practice-time that should take you about 7-8 days
but I practiced a lot less every day, so I think that the rest time is important to. So, its a hard nut to crack, but you just got to try!!! Then you will get the answer Smile And of course post here on the Forum Smile

Thank you very much!!...Of course I will!!.... Very Happy
Adelbert0923
Adelbert0923
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down