Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it...

4 posters

Go down

I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it... Empty I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it...

Post by kentaku_sama Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:42 pm

yesterday we went to millers piano store. I was like WOW! there were sooo many beutiful new pianos I played sooo many. We were beginning to look for the one we we'll buy when our house is built in summer. There was a room with 8 grand pianos and all were stienway! I thought becuase I played a $35,000.00 piano that it would sound amazing! But when I did it was about like the other expensive brand new uprights in the store I played. Turns out it was great but the sound wasn't that much better than a $6000.00 upright piano we looked at. Wierd huh? Shocked I also learned that upright pianos sound wierd when there in a big room where the sound goes bouncing everywhere.
And don't freak out!! We weren't gonna buy the stienway we were just gonna try it since I was there.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it... Empty Re: I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it...

Post by Thomandy Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Interesting Smile Might be that a Grand dosnt really get to it rights in a normal room, and that you really should have it in a room build for acoustic sound ect like a concert hall where they. As you say, if the Normal piano is &$^# in a big room then the Grand might have some problems delivering its full potential in a normal room? I dont know, just a thought Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it... Empty Re: I played a steinway grand and didn't really feel it...

Post by pianohama Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:28 am

kentaku_sama wrote:yesterday we went to millers piano store. I was like WOW! there were sooo many beutiful new pianos I played sooo many. We were beginning to look for the one we we'll buy when our house is built in summer. There was a room with 8 grand pianos and all were stienway! I thought becuase I played a $35,000.00 piano that it would sound amazing! But when I did it was about like the other expensive brand new uprights in the store I played. Turns out it was great but the sound wasn't that much better than a $6000.00 upright piano we looked at. Wierd huh? Shocked I also learned that upright pianos sound wierd when there in a big room where the sound goes bouncing everywhere.
And don't freak out!! We weren't gonna buy the stienway we were just gonna try it since I was there.

People tend to blow things out of proportion, a grand is afterall just a big piano. I've tried playing both digital and grands(reaaaally expensive ones), but I have to say the grands might have a better feeling cause of the wooden keys and its dynamics, but still I think in no way I would choose a grand over my digital piano.. Even if I'd get one for free (it would probably end up being decoration)
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:17 am

Well...I have to disagree, I've played some expensive grands and SOME of them were amazing. I've also played some piano's that were liek $40,000 and I thought they sounded like crap with a very bad action. So it really depends on the piano. You need to maintain them really well Smile Plus each piano has it's own personality. Smile

I'm a big fan of grand pianos.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:38 am

Admin Andrew wrote:

Me to, even without ever trying one. I just hope I can afford one someday. Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:24 am

Thomandy wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:

Sure you can afford one Smile Heck, you could could get one right now if you're ok with selling one of your kidneys Wink
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:21 am

Admin Andrew wrote:
Thomandy wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:

Sure you can afford one Smile Heck, you could could get one right now if you're ok with selling one of your kidneys Wink

Haha lol! .... okay, if you ever need a kidney let me know, and we can make a deal Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down