Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart"

5 posters

Go down

Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart" Empty Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart"

Post by pianohama Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:58 pm

So I've been playing the piano for about 7 months.

7 Months ago I first learned how to find the C button on a piano

Today I present to you my first improvised piece Smile Enjoy! And by the way if you come up with a better title, tell me Smile Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHjNBGuyHEY
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart" Empty Re: Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart"

Post by Jordan Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:18 pm

pianohama wrote:So I've been playing the piano for about 7 months.

Today I present to you my first improvised piece Smile Enjoy! And by the way if you come up with a better title, tell me Smile Thanks

Wow dude... I really love that! It's really emotional and I love your improvising. I'm assuming its on C minor? Very soulful bro, keep that up because it was awesome.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart" Empty Re: Improvisation no. 1 "A bruised heart"

Post by maggiekedves Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 am

Jordan wrote:

Wow dude... I really love that! It's really emotional and I love your improvising. I'm assuming its on C minor? Very soulful bro, keep that up because it was awesome.

Yes he is a talented composer.
Good job cheers
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 am

Jordan wrote:

Thanks man, +1 confidence for me Very Happy. It starts off in C minor(harmonical), then goes into F# Major, then back to C minor

Last edited by pianohama on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:38 am

I love your playing Smile

I still dont understand how you know what notes sound good together....

Lets say I play a C-chord ( C-E-G ) with my left, what notes can I play with the right the <--- that's my problem when it comes to improv.

I watched some of the videos from www.playpianotoday.com, I wanna play like that.
Would be really cool to just improvise something that doesnt sound "out of tune".
I love learning songs from sheets, but would be fun to improvise stuff too.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 am

Well. If you wanna talk theory, it comes down to what scale you are playing. All scales has 7 chords(?) in them , all these chords works with the notes in that scale, for example C Major scale has the chords FMaj and CMaj, those chords will basically work with all notes in the Cmaj scale(all the white keys), but after that, it all boils down to using your musical ear Smile

A good way to get started is to take famous chord progressions, and try to make up melodies for them Smile Thats how I started learning
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am

VictorCS wrote:I love your playing Smile

I still dont understand how you know what notes sound good together....

Lets say I play a C-chord ( C-E-G ) with my left, what notes can I play with the right the <--- that's my problem when it comes to improv.

I watched some of the videos from www.playpianotoday.com, I wanna play like that.
Would be really cool to just improvise something that doesnt sound "out of tune".
I love learning songs from sheets, but would be fun to improvise stuff too.

Once you know your scales, whether it's harmonic minor, melodic minor, natural minor, blues, major, chromatic, or anything else, you'll be able to improvise without having to think about what chords or notes to play during your interpretation. If you're improvising on one scale, D minor for example, your left hand and right hand need to improvise on D minor only. If you change scales or play the wrong notes then you'll hear dissonance, and sometimes dissonance can sound good, but when you're playing notes that aren't supposed to be played in a particular scale, it sounds very bad.

The best advice I can tell you is to learn your scales. Start learning the chromatic scale and strengthen your fingers with techniques such as the Hanon exercises.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 am

Wow, I'm truly impressed!for the amount of time you've been playing piano, that was incredible! I left a comment on the video for you as well!

I have a question for you though, when you said it was an improv, did you mean you improved it before hand, wrote it down and then practised it? or did you improvise everything on the fly? Either way, GREAT job! I'd love to hear more in the future! Very Happy
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 am

Admin Andrew wrote:Wow, I'm truly impressed!for the amount of time you've been playing piano, that was incredible! I left a comment on the video for you as well!

I have a question for you though, when you said it was an improv, did you mean you improved it before hand, wrote it down and then practised it? or did you improvise everything on the fly? Either way, GREAT job! I'd love to hear more in the future! Very Happy

I played it on the fly ^^ Thanks man I appreciate it=) If you have any critic please tell me. I know my rhythm is off, I have absolutely no education in rhythms when it comes to the piano(stupid I know..), I just go with what feels natural for me but I'll try to practice rhythm for my next Improvisation Smile
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down