Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to implement certain techniques and chords

4 posters

Go down

How to implement certain techniques and chords Empty How to implement certain techniques and chords

Post by nipponman21 Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi,

I'm new. My question is how do I use higher level chords in a song. For example, say I have the lead sheet to twinkle twinkle little star and I know where to use the chords, CM, etc. How would I "Jazz it up" by including 9ths, 13ths, 7ths etc. in my playing? Is such a thing possible? I find the information on the subject to be confusing. Also, I wonder how do I make my playing sound more interesting? For example I can play straight chords fine, but I rarely hear a straight chord; rather, some medley involving the chord tones in the left hand is played. So basically, I'm wondering if there are any specific techniques to vary the way I play chords. E.g. instead of just playing CM, playing C-E-G-E-G etc.

nipponman
nipponman21
nipponman21
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Programmer
Length of time playing piano : Huh? 10 years on and off
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

How to implement certain techniques and chords Empty Re: How to implement certain techniques and chords

Post by Thomandy Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 am

Hi =) And welcome!! Smile

Well, Im not the best to answer this and It also seams you know more already about this subject than I do... But my advice must be before you know all the things there is to know - fool around abit!! Wink

Music is all about emotions, and what you feel is right. If you try out and you like it, it dosnt matter if its correct according to all the rules!! Smile And meanwhile you will probably get better theoretical and these things(fooling around and looking for cool thing) will give you experience around the piano. Well.. Thats my tip, so maybe someone with better theoretical baggage got something more reasonable to say Smile hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

How to implement certain techniques and chords Empty Re: How to implement certain techniques and chords

Post by nipponman21 Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Thx for above. I've tried many different experimentations but they sound rather disjoint and kinda crappy, frankly. I mean, I'm looking for something to make my playing more interesting. Thanks anyway.
nipponman21
nipponman21
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:47 pm

try doing sevenths, for example heres normal twinkle little star

C
C C G G A A G

You can try changing your C chord (c e g) to a c7, C E G B
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by nipponman21 Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks I've tried that already. I'm looking more for techniques people use to improve the sound of their playing. Like rhythm/melody changes, systematic chord substitutions, various chord voicings etc. I know this must seem horribly general and broad. I just want to go to the next level in piano playing.
nipponman21
nipponman21
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 am

I know what your saying. You can learn the blues scale, the one for C major would go like this:

A C D D# E G

and sometimes just make a run through it in the song, adds a jazzy feel to it ;D
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 am

Also, Jazz tends to have alot of distance between the notes often. So think about that when youre forming your chords =)
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Do you play jazz chords using the i-iii-v like in a major scale? Because the number of semi-tones between the i'th jazz scale note is different from a major/minor.
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Phobik2000 wrote:Do you play jazz chords using the i-iii-v like in a major scale? Because the number of semi-tones between the i'th jazz scale note is different from a major/minor.

Jazz often tends to sound very much like its "floating" achieved by alot of 7ths, try this progression in C Major scale:

C7 -> F7 -> G dominant 7
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down