Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.)

5 posters

Go down

New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.) Empty New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.)

Post by BTWriter Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 pm

My name is Ben, and I'm what you might call a musical cripple. I grew up in a household devoid of any kind of musical appreciation, except seeing my father get out his guitar and play maybe once a year. Basically, I never sang, played an instrument, or really listened to music much. I think it really hampered my musical development.

To give you an idea, I turn 20 next month, and just bought a CD for the first time like 2 months ago.

Anyway, I am a writer, as my name suggests. I have only recently listened to much music that truly gets to me, and I am thrilled to discover an entire realm of existence that is thus far unexplored. For the longest time, I thought I was literally missing something, biologically, like a section of my brain was nonexistent and I was unable to sense in music what others did. I thought I was tone deaf.

Then I heard Pomplamoose, and I was so taken by it that I became angry that I knew nothing about music, and could not express myself in such a fundamental, beautiful way. I began to study music theory, trying to find what it was I was missing, until a musician friend of mine told me I could only truly understand music theory if I applied it toward an instrument. So I picked the most technical, classically musical instrument I could think of, and went with Piano. I acquired a cheapo keyboard and set out on the net to find a good introductory lesson, and came across Andrew's youtube video.

How lucky I am. I started the C Major scale just last night, and after a short frustrating spell I found I could do it, and kept doing it, until it got smoother and smoother until it felt like it was simply flowing from me. It's just a simple stupid scale, I know, but I felt like a whole new world was opening before me. Now, today, as I was continuing practicing, I started thinking about the nature of scales, and notes, and how they sound pleasurable to the human ear. I thought about singing, and how great it would be to be able to produce such beauty directly from your body, and, playing a C note, endeavored to attempt to reproduce it vocally. Holy crap! I actually could tell when I was off key, and when I hit the right note I could feel it resonate through my head and lock in with the instrument. I'm not tone deaf! I can hit the note, and tell when I'm hitting it! I probably sound like an idiot right now, but this is a definite, "Eureka!" moment for me. For the first time in my life, I can see what all the fuss is about, why people can devote their lives to music, how it can be so powerful and expressive. I feel like I'm seeing in color for the first time in my life, and am finally in on a great big inside joke the rest of the world shared.

Amazing, wonderful life! Thank you, Andrew, for the part you've played in revealing this to me, and the parts you will play in the future. I'm going to go practice more... and hopefully, step by step, find all that this world has to offer.
BTWriter
BTWriter

Number of posts : 2
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.) Empty Re: New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.)

Post by maggiekedves Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum Ben, you are indeed a born writer and your dramatical description how you found music was amazing.
It is actual a real sad story because I cant imagine any kid growing up without music.
These events are miraculous and very powerful. I hope you will wonder in the land of music and this forum can help you learn a lot about piano. You are very welcome asking anything you need to deepen and widen your knowledge in this realm. Maybe you will even create your own music how many of our other forum members did. I would encourage you to join our community and make this forum richer with your comments and questions. Good luck turning into a musical. ( And NO you did not sound as an idiot, forget about such demeaning words.)
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.) Empty Re: New Guy (To this forum and to music in general.)

Post by Thomandy Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:10 am

Hi Smile Welcome - Hope that you get you focus right and that you get the help you need Smile I was kind of in your same boat just 9-10 months ago Smile Even though I had listened to music, but its a whole different way to starting to play and to start liking classical music Smile which is something of the mot beautiful music ever made Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome to the forum sunny

Ben, you really have a great dramatical description as Maggie Said ..
" You are a Good writer Very Happy "

You'll find it easy to play to Piano with Andrew's Vids, & the forum support or at least you'll reach the first piece you wanna Play ..
Then you'll have a great Feeling & enthusiasm ..

I hope you to reach this Piece Very Sooon Very Happy Very Happy

WELCOME AGAIN cheers
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:22 am

Man! that was such an entertaining story there! I didn't think you sounded like a weirdo at all! Smile

I'm honored to have helped you with the first step! Very Happy

WELCOME to the forum!! cheers
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down