Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Synthesizer

3 posters

Go down

Synthesizer Empty Synthesizer

Post by supitsbran Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am

Hey guys i'm kind of a piano noob.. actually yeah I'm definitely really a piano nooby.

Using Andrew's guide i learned how to play Fur Elise fairly easily, probably due to the power of his tutorial though.

Well anyway, I just recently got into piano because I'm also looking into getting into synthesizers. Ultimately I want to be the synth player in a pop/punk/hardcore band, like Motion City Soundtrack, Chiodos, The Devil Wears Prada, Forever The Sickest Kids, and Scary Kids Scaring Kids, just to name a few...

Anyway I've looked for hours and cannot find ANYTHING that teaches you where to begin, I recently bought myself a MicroKorg and it's very fun to play around on, though I cannot find that soft but powerful pop/punk sound.

If anyone knows where to begin or has any say on where to begin with this or can just talk about it, any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Brandon

supitsbran

Male Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Tutoring and learning
Length of time playing piano : About a month
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Synthesizer Empty Re: Synthesizer

Post by Phi Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Brandon...
Welcome. Most of us here are piano noobs, so you are not alone Smile

If I'm right, a microKorg has 49 keys. Which means you'll run out of keys sooner or later. Shocked
Since you want to become a band keyboardist, you could start by learning chords, and how they work. Do a google search on "Chord based piano". That should get you on your way.

The microkorg's main feature is its vocoder -so I wouldn't expect to find any really decent sounds in it. Though it's a really nice keyboard, and you could use it to learn keys and their names.
Once you're past this stage, ditch the keyboard!!... hehe Very Happy -Seriously. 49 keys are not enough to learn on.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have...
Glad to have you here.

Phi
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 122
Job/hobbies : Student/Gaming, Piano, Programming
Length of time playing piano : Since Feb. 08
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:48 pm

A microKorg got 37 keys, I almost bought one myself, but ended up with a synth modul, a Roland SH-32.

microKorg:
Synthesizer Microkorg

If you got a keyboard, you could just buy synthmoduls, instead of a synth with keys...
But if you dont have a keyboard, it's better to by a keyboardsynth.

I'm amazed of what you can do with a microKorg ( if you dont look at the few keys )...
It's cheap, you get a vocoder, and you get a bunch of possibilities,
maybe you could just buy a keyboard and hook it up with the Korg?

But you say you dont get the pop/punk sounds you want, so better find a new synth.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by supitsbran Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:58 am

thanks for the input guys! i've taught myself a bit with the first few of andrews lessons, and i agree with both of you about the microKorg, its definitely worth the 400 dollars and i think its great for an intro synth just to see how things work, but not fit for stage work. the editing capabilities of the microKorg are endless, Korg really did a good job. From the time i started looking into synths, Roland has always popped out at me.

i also have a Yamaha keyboard, an SYT-300, very basic, it has about 5 octaves so thats like what 40-ish keys.. i got it along long time ago as a gift of somesort. I do have the MIDI link and have linked them before though just as I'm writing this i realized i havent tried linking the yamaha as the Outport and the microKorg as the In, i think thats what you guys may have been talking about, i'll have to see if that works.

another question, the synthmodules you're talking about, are they kind of like pedals for a guitar? they just modify the sound coming out of my keyboard?

thanks alot guys!

hmm.. i think my dream synth is the Roland Fantom X6 =]

supitsbran

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 am

They're just synths without keys.... So you'll need a keyboard to play it... My Roland SH-32 got 1 octave (12 round knots ),
so you can barely play on it, you can only just test the sound... They skip the keys, and give you an ultraportable synth....

SH-32:
Synthesizer Roland_sh32
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by supitsbran Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Ohhh ohh got it.. about how much do they go for? and which one do you think would be a good one just for begginners

supitsbran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down