Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major

+7
kwesifriends
Jordan
Admin Andrew
CripKilla
Thomandy
VictorCS
pianohama
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major - Page 2 Empty Re: How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major

Post by pianohama Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:09 am

[quote="Thomandy"]
pianohama wrote:
hm... sure about that??
i might be wrong now, but Im just shooting it out! Razz

the first chord in a C major could be a minor -> C Eb G = i
isnt this possible you mean?

Instead of a C I = (C E G) you got a C i = (C Eb G)

Sure you can play a C minor, but then you are no longer in the C major scale, as Andrew said. If you play in C Major and suddenly play a C minor chord, you have modulated to i of the c minor scale, or the ii of B flat major scale, and the iii of G# major scale, if I'm correct(not sure about the last one)... But you can never play a C minor and remain in C major scale, you would have to modulate back!

Andrew do you agree? I'm not 100% on this
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major - Page 2 Empty Re: How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major

Post by pianohama Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 am

quick wrote:What determines which number/Letter is Major and which are minor because I dont understand for example why B is minor and F is major

Oh ya, and I forgot to point out B is not minor in C major scale, it is a diminished chord.

And if you're asking yourself, why is the first chord in a major scale always major? why is the sixth of a Major scale always a minor chord? Well, it just is, simply cause you can't fit in another chord.
For example,
C D E F G A B C

You need B D and F# to create a B minor, but theres only a normal B in the C major scale, so it makes it B D F instead, thus you get a diminished chord.

I always think like this: If I can fit a chord in a scale using the notes of the scale without going outside of the scale it is always going to sound good, that's my general rule...
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 am

Admin Andrew wrote:mmm, no that wouldn't work Thomas, then you're not in C major anymore, you're borrowing the i chord from C minor now. In later music they do borrow from the minor on the 3rd 6th and 7th notes on occasion. but you would say it's from C minor not major. It has to be from the key Smile so only C D E F G A B C exist in C major. Think of C minor as another dimension completely. Hopefully that makes sense...XD

Okay Smile Yeah, I wasnt sure at all about the terms here Smile
I still lack a lot in this part of the theoretical field, got to learn more about that someday, hopefully Im applying for School in 2010 Razz .... maybe... Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:54 am

Thomandy wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:mmm, no that wouldn't work Thomas, then you're not in C major anymore, you're borrowing the i chord from C minor now. In later music they do borrow from the minor on the 3rd 6th and 7th notes on occasion. but you would say it's from C minor not major. It has to be from the key Smile so only C D E F G A B C exist in C major. Think of C minor as another dimension completely. Hopefully that makes sense...XD

I still lack a lot in this part of the theoretical field, got to learn more about that someday, hopefully Im applying for School in 2010 Razz .... maybe... Smile

Dude thats awesome, I'm really happy for you, wish you the best, if anyone deserve to make it big it's you.

Lycka till ;D
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:17 am

pianohama wrote:
Thomandy wrote:

Dude thats awesome, I'm really happy for you, wish you the best, if anyone deserve to make it big it's you.

Lycka till ;D

Woah Smile That was very nice to hear Smile
Takk Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:46 am

yea! Good luck

Lycka till....does that mean good luck?
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:42 am

Admin Andrew wrote:yea! Good luck

Lycka till....does that mean good luck?

Yeah it does in Swedish Smile But Swedish and Norwegian is very simular so we pretty much uncerstand everything over the borders Smile

English - Good Luck
Norweg- Lykke til
Swedish- Lycka til
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major - Page 2 Empty Thanks

Post by quick Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:36 pm

pianohama wrote:
quick wrote:What determines which number/Letter is Major and which are minor because I dont understand for example why B is minor and F is major

Oh ya, and I forgot to point out B is not minor in C major scale, it is a diminished chord.

And if you're asking yourself, why is the first chord in a major scale always major? why is the sixth of a Major scale always a minor chord? Well, it just is, simply cause you can't fit in another chord.
For example,
C D E F G A B C

You need B D and F# to create a B minor, but theres only a normal B in the C major scale, so it makes it B D F instead, thus you get a diminished chord.

I always think like this: If I can fit a chord in a scale using the notes of the scale without going outside of the scale it is always going to sound good, that's my general rule...

[b] thanks, that really helped me understand why the roman numbers were major and minor, since I like understanding why things are.

Oh and I wish you well with school Thomandy

quick
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Travel. Basketball
Length of time playing piano : 2 weeks trying
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

How to create a chord progression in Minor and Major - Page 2 Empty Exotic progressions??

Post by quick Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40 am

Do All chord progressions start at the root note of the scale? because I'm trying to get a better understanding of the options in chord progression, and how to form the different types used in different music genres. I also am puzzled to know if only major and minor scales use chord progression, for example does exotic scales use chord progression?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but as a beginner somethings are kind of confusing and I thank you all for entertaining my questions.

quick
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Travel. Basketball
Length of time playing piano : 2 weeks trying
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by sameer Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Well i think for the beginners to understand How Chord Progression works...Probably the following video helps a little bit. If doesnt then i am sorry Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIEmMDwc7E&feature=related

sameer

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Reg_B Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm

OK, bear with me for a while - - PLEASE ! ? I'm a technoid from long ago.

I just watched that you tube video and it helps, but on the Circle of fifths and everything that comes with it, did anyone ever devise any sort of a "circular slide rule" to help with this ?
I am thinking that there are so many cardboard circular gadgets with inner and outer wheels and cut out windows through the outer wheel to view the inner wheel when things are brought into alignment.
As teaching aids ? As composing/writing aids ?
Anything ?

Anyone want to DESIGN one and sell it in music shops for a few bux ?
(-:

Reg_B
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reg_B Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm

http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/
for a point and click "interactive" circle of 5ths.

Reg_B
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Reg_B Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Reg_B wrote:OK, bear with me for a while - - PLEASE ! ? I'm a technoid from long ago.

I just watched that you tube video and it helps, but on the Circle of fifths and everything that comes with it, did anyone ever devise any sort of a "circular slide rule" to help with this ?
I am thinking that there are so many cardboard circular gadgets with inner and outer wheels and cut out windows through the outer wheel to view the inner wheel when things are brought into alignment.
As teaching aids ? As composing/writing aids ?
Anything ?

Anyone want to DESIGN one and sell it in music shops for a few bux ?
(-:

Here is a link to something along the lines I was thinking - the circular slide rule thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96hgKvLytCk&feature=related
I know, "ORGANS and Old Folk", but theory is theory and some of this may help some of us.

\R

Reg_B
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2