Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand)

+3
pianohama
Thomandy
Depo007
7 posters

Go down

Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand) Empty Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand)

Post by Depo007 Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm a lefty. Because of this, I tend to play louder with my left hand than my right hand. This often drowns out the main melody being played by the right hand. Are there any good techniques to practice to make my right hand stronger, or help me control the balance of sound a bit better than I am now?
Depo007
Depo007
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Software Developer
Length of time playing piano : Started taking lessons 22 June 2010
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-04

http://www.vgmusic.com/

Back to top Go down

Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand) Empty Re: Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand)

Post by Thomandy Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Depo007 wrote:I'm a lefty. Because of this, I tend to play louder with my left hand than my right hand. This often drowns out the main melody being played by the right hand. Are there any good techniques to practice to make my right hand stronger, or help me control the balance of sound a bit better than I am now?

Easy to practice Wink I have read in an other post that you just got to think heavy on the side you want to play louder.
Its just practice really! To be good you must be able to controll both hands and arms exactly the way you want to.
There are pieces that demands a louder basscleff than treble also... Think heavy and practice pushing harder with your melody hand and lighter with your left hand! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand) Empty Re: Bringing Out the Melody (i.e. Playing Stronger with the Right Hand)

Post by pianohama Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm

It will eventually just come to you as you get more comfortable with the piece Smile no worries
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 pm

pianohama wrote:It will eventually just come to you as you get more comfortable with the piece Smile no worries

True, And when the brain gets more developet nerves for each hand. The cind of wotk with the same nerves in the beginning!
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor V. Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, I feel it too. It's specially hard to control the force you'll put into the keys with the right hand, so it's either a short touch that won't even trigger the sound or something that will turn the calmest songs into a haphazard.

Victor V.
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 9
Length of time playing piano : 3 months (keyboards)
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 pm

Strenght isnt a problem, but endurance and how to control your muscles are... Cool
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Eventually after some practice your left hand will feel somewhat "equal" to your right. Try out some Hanon exercises with both hands and develop a strength for both hands at the same time, eventually your left hand will catch up.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:16 pm

VictorCS wrote:Strenght isnt a problem, but endurance and how to control your muscles are... Cool

Well.. The more developed muscels you got, the more controll you get. And the stronger we get, less power is used to push a key, and then our endurance will get better Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 am

The best thing to do for learning to play a singing melody line is to work on Hand independence which means doing exersizes where one hand is doing something different than the other.

A good example is playing staccato with one hand while you play legato with the other, or a steady poly rhythm like 2 vs 3 while you play C major.

Then once you get used to it, REVERSE it, keep your brain thinking on it's feet, and while you do things that require independence focus on how your brain feels when you're getting it right, you should feel different, sort of separate but united.

As you do this more and more you will be able to separate your hands easier. Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction! ^_^ Good luck!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down