Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's how I've started - any suggestions?

4 posters

Go down

Here's how I've started - any suggestions? Empty Here's how I've started - any suggestions?

Post by KimnKs Sat May 24, 2008 10:49 am

I've started with the easiest, finger numbering - thumb is 1 and so forth. I found a site on the internet that has the music as well as how they want the song actually played. So I've made it through all of the starter songs and am now ready to play actual notes. I'll have the music in front of me and loop the music over and over until my flow is correct. So I have two questions:
1. How do I know which set of keys the piece starts in, for both the left and right hand. I've read and seen so much on middle C - I want to start EVERY thing there Wink
2. There are notes that are above or below the lines - how are those interpeted?
Thanks everyone, I'm a newbie. Everyone has to start somewhere right?
Thanks again.

KimnKs
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 9
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Here's how I've started - any suggestions? Empty Re: Here's how I've started - any suggestions?

Post by maggiekedves Sat May 24, 2008 5:44 pm

KimnKs wrote:I've started with the easiest, finger numbering - thumb is 1 and so forth. I found a site on the internet that has the music as well as how they want the song actually played. So I've made it through all of the starter songs and am now ready to play actual notes. I'll have the music in front of me and loop the music over and over until my flow is correct. So I have two questions:
1. How do I know which set of keys the piece starts in, for both the left and right hand. I've read and seen so much on middle C - I want to start EVERY thing there Wink
2. There are notes that are above or below the lines - how are those interpeted?
Thanks everyone, I'm a newbie. Everyone has to start somewhere right?
Thanks again.

The answer to your first question is that you need to analyze the piece before you start to play it.
Look at the time signature 3/4, 4/4, etc that will tell you "pulsation" of the piece, next you look at the key signature (no key signature = means C major - all white keys are used, or you can see either # - sharp or b - flat... these can be different scales which also uses the black keys... to go into a litt more depth about scales please visit https://afpa.hooxs.com/piano-scales-f3/scales-list-t26.htm the scales list of Andrew ( tell more about the system of all the scales called Circle of Fifths)

After you got the scale right you look at the piece and try to figure out how can you use your fingers to reach the notes needed. More practiced piano players can help you if you have problems with it but I think the best way to learn it is to try to practice ( starting with easier pieces first where they have lot of consequetive notes so u can use finger 1-5 Smile )

Answer to your second question every note in the staffs are corresponding to a key on the keyboard
I should show that too... here it is

Here's how I've started - any suggestions? Scalekeyboard

I also have a cheet sheet I like to use for sightreading

Here's how I've started - any suggestions? Cheatsheet
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Here's how I've started - any suggestions? Empty Re: Here's how I've started - any suggestions?

Post by Admin Andrew Sat May 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks maggie!

Also, i'd really suggest watching all my videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/lypur

I think this will help you understand more, and it'll be easier to understand over a video! Then after watching it, if you still have questions this is the place to be!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by KimnKs Sat May 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks Maggie and Andrew. I went to the music store and bought two books and a metronome. I was thinking I was going to have to search out a site for beginners because everyone here is playing high tech fancy stuff. I figured that by watching Andrews videos, (he makes it so simple and fun) that I could do it with a few website songs and notes - well when I got stuck, I was lost because I didn't build a solid foundation of understanding. I wanted or I should say - I want to play so bad that being "wrong" per se was beyond frustrating. So how I got myself out of the mess, was watching a few more videos on You Tube with the scales explained when the notes exceed the normal scale and going to the book store for a few beginner books. I think in Andrews videos he stresses, get some books - the library had slim pickings so I just went to the music store and found a great book called Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson book Level one, it came with a cd too. I think it was 14.95 - and to be honest, seeing the material laid out in front of you, with pictures and going step by step was a huge relief on putting all the pieces together where my foundation lacks. Now - I know it is a long road ahead but taking it slow and easy and not trying to learn so much so quick was a valauable lesson for me here. Reinforcing what I have already learned is so important. So, in short, I'm taking my time and better understanding the layout of the notes and why, the structure of notes, the metronome really helps keep the beat and going over the easy stuff more and more to make sure the harder steps arn't unsurmountable.
Anyhow, I found the answers and a great valuable lesson. I still am aiming to play Canon in D and Amazing Grace - Maybe in a few more years I'll hit some more fancy pieces like everyone here is playing!
Thanks for the helpful information Maggie and Andrew. Oh and Andrew - Thank you so much for your wonderful videos. They are uplifting and helped me feel like playing the piano was something I can do. I know it takes a lot of time to post and to prepare. So my sincere thanks goes out to you. As a side note, your girlfriends performance was outstanding and her dress was beautiful. If you've already married, then you've found a keeper!
Glad you got your braces off too! They weren't horrible or anything - just looked like it made you feel so much more of your upper teeth Smile
Kim

KimnKs
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sat May 24, 2008 11:46 pm

I'll bet you'll play some fancy stuff in "no time", just look at thomandy, playing great just after a few months.
( sorry if I dont mention others, but my memory is busy with music )

The playing itself is easy when you first understand how to properly read a sheet. Then you'll just have to press the right keys at the right time. Good thing you bought a metronome, I started using a metronom 1 month ago, and it really helps at getting steady, and play at the right speed.

It all depends on how much you practice and how you practice, and it's you that'll have to find the best way to practice,
because noone practice the exact same way... You'll need to find your best way to learn...

Make sure you pick an easy piece so you dont struggle and lose interest because you cant get it right. Start easy, aim high.
But one thing is for sure, you'll need to learn how to read before you can read.
( remember the time when you couldnt read a book? Reading a book is like reading a sheet, almost ^_^ ).

( ye, I know i dont read sheets myself when I practice, instead I read weird colors Razz But I can read the basic, as the penguin sheet )
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KimnKs Sat May 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks Victor, your right on with understanding the notes. I'd like to get to the point where I can guestimate what the piece will sound like just by looking at it. I'm labeling music in my mind and moving my fingers for the keys of the pieces I'm working while I'm doing other things than playing. I've also found that as all the wise have said - posture will make or break a piece :-) Yep, the ole wrists and forearms tend to quit working for me even when my mind says - you've almost got it - just a few more rounds on this last.... yeah - so I'm working on that too. I'll make it, just takes time.
When you say start simple, that is no joke, I've nailed the following 'songs': The Monkey and the Mirror, Au Clair De La Lune, Rain, Rain Go Away, Ode to Joy, Row Row Row your Bot and Jolly Old Saint Nicholas oh and Yankee Doodle - hahahha.. so those took a bit but I have them down.
Thanks for your time to reply Victor.
Kim

KimnKs
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun May 25, 2008 12:04 am

Well, you're off to a great start, i'm very glad you bought a metronome! they are INVALUABLE to helping you become a great musician! ^_^

Very Happy Before you know it you'll have a good skill set developed. It's importaint in the early months to really buckle down and form good habits of rhythm, steadyness, posture and fingering before you form BAD habits!

You're like a jello mold right now, everything can be shaped still, but after alittle time the mold will start to harden, and it'll be tougher to change bad habits. Smile I know this because i've formed bad habits over the years, we all have. Luckily we can change them, it just takes extra work, but it's always worth the effort

Smile thanks for joining!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down