Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher!

3 posters

Go down

Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher! Empty Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher!

Post by BrandonWalsh Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 am

Hello from Sweden!

I've finally picked up "proper" piano training. I've been fiddling with playing the piano for years but I never really studied it. I just played whatever I thought sounded good without any focus on fingering, scales or music theory. Now, I decided that I was to learn reading sheet music and start studying things on the net and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I could find high quality video tutorials from a mad genius piano teacher!

Currently I'm working my way through the videos while at the same time playing a lot of sheet music flash games and practising on my keyboard. Although I've produced music for years and in that way learned the basics as to what chords go together and things like that, I feel like a complete newbie when it comes to all the theory. And, only after a couple of weeks, I find that this theoretical (and practical) knowledge taught by you has boosted my general interest in music tenfold! Not being able to _really_ play the piano has always been something that I wanted to fix and I truly feel that with your videos, and a lot of practice, I can eventually get there Smile.

Perhaps I will post a couple of songs down the road with me playing the piano. Thanks a lot for the videos, looking forward to join the discussions here!

Daniel,
Sweden.
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 12
Length of time playing piano : Started watching Andrews videos 2009-08, prior to that I've dabbled with it but never took it seriously.
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher! Empty Re: Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher!

Post by aendym Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 am

Hey Brandon! Whats up?
Loved the part about the "mad genius piano teacher". You're definitely right about that!
Cant wait til you post some of your songs!
Andria,
Germany sunny
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher! Empty Re: Polar Bears, Piano and Confusion - you're the teacher!

Post by BrandonWalsh Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 am

Hello Aendym! Nice to hear from you, a fellow european! Smile

Have you been playing for four weeks (I read you signature)? That's cool, did you start with Andrews videos as well?

I just started proper training and I think I got the major scale down and also some basic sight reading.. it's very exciting. Time to try to understand the circle of fifths, I watched the video but I think I need to watch it again to fully grasp it Smile.
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Length of time playing piano : Started watching Andrews videos 2009-08, prior to that I've dabbled with it but never took it seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 am

Yeah, I always wanted to learn the piano and was finally able to buy an epiano and while waiting for it to arrive I was checking out youtube to find some nice tutorials on some songs and stumbled over Andrews lessons. And after watching a couple of them I started buying some additional books and lessons and playing "Air-Piano" until my real one finally arrived! And now - its hard to believe - I can actually play some stuff on it! Very Happy Its really amazing!
The videos are really cool as to understand the theory behind the playing! Some of the videos go beyond the things I need to know as an absolute beginner, but are interessting anyway. Even though I might have to watch some of them a second time to actually understand what the hell Andrew is talking about ... hehehe...
The Circle of Fifths was one of them. But I noticed theres not much to understand about it. You just have to memorize which scale has which sharps and flats (at least thats all I memorized about it!)

I bet its way more difficult to understand the "circle of fists" (HAHAHA Sorry, couldnt stop myself from writing that! Razz )
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonWalsh Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 am

That is nice to hear Smile Glad your air piano payed off! As I've been producing music for a while I learned the rudimentary stuff but I've always wanted to just sit down and play some sheet music... or know how to transpose stuff properly (without using the "transpose function in the sequencer, although it does come in handy Wink) and the theory behind it all. I just want to be able to play a lot of beautiful things on the piano I guess... I'm not there yet but I am working about it.

Circle of fists.. yeah, I guess that's what happens when you get it wrong and Andrew comes to your house and punches you in the face for getting it all wrong Wink

I am going to buy some beginners books as well to really get into it. You should put something you play up on the forum when you are happy with the sound of it.. it is very inspiring to watch other play! Smile
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:23 am

Hahaha! It will take AAAAGES untill Im actually happy with the sound of my playing!!! So I think your gonna have to wait until Im actually any kind of inspiring for others... Razz

And that is a pretty good explenation for the circle of fists... hahaha!!!
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonWalsh Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

Hehe, we will see who puts up a song first then.. we both have a long way to go! Smile
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi Brandon, welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your lessons.

(and as my user name would suggest, I've been punched in the face by Andrew for not playing properly. Razz )
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 pm

lol!
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down