Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My goals for week #1

4 posters

Go down

My goals for week #1 Empty My goals for week #1

Post by Steinbergbaum Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Andrew, I've decided to start learning to play the piano by your lessons.

My goal is to be able to play the piano in a year (thomandy's progress video really inspired me to do so, I also got to your site through his channel), I will practise each of your lessons for a week (or more, if I can't get the hang of it), My goals for the first week are (or were...):

* Be able to recognize the notes on the piano instantly, without any difficulty [Still need to think, might have to practise it for more than a week...]
* Master proper posture [DONE, at least so I hope]
* Master the C Major scale (up and down, left hand, right hand) [DONE]
* be able to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" (right hand and left hand)[DONE]
* Master finger tucking (right hand and left hand) [DONE]

so pretty much, each week I will try to master the subjects covered in your lessons, hopefully, I will be able to play the piano by lesson #40.

any tips or ideas for improvement would be very welcomed.

Also, how do you guys practise, how did/do you learn (I'm especially interested in your learning process, thomandy, it's really amazing what you've accomplished)?

Steinbergbaum

Male Number of posts : 3
Length of time playing piano : 1 week
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

My goals for week #1 Empty Re: My goals for week #1

Post by frank Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Steinbergbaum wrote:
Also, how do you guys practise, how did/do you learn (I'm especially interested in your learning process, thomandy, it's really amazing what you've accomplished)?

I have a teacher for 45 minutes every week. You can learn many things by video, reading etc., but I think a teacher at your side while you are trying to play (and trying to be not too nervous Smile helps a lot at the beginning, if your name is not thomandy. The rest of the week I practice about half an hour per day.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Smile Well, I have to smile when I read your comments sunny
Well, first of all thanks for the compliments Smile I must say its very motivating for me that you guys are so supportive of me as well Smile Thanks!! Smile

And yeah, its like Frank say, I also think its an great advantage to have a teacher! I might try to get into a school next year, and then I will get a teacher as well Smile ..

My learning process:
Well, I try to challenge myself with most of my pieces. In the beginning I chose piece that was very unlike each other, so I could learn different things. I read very early about how most pianists, even professional pianists go to fast when learning a piece! After that day I stopped playing fast in the beginning, making lots of mistakes, instead I went so slow that I didnt make "ONE SINGLE" mistake. Then I got to play the pieces good even faster, it just seam so slow in the beginning, and it is, but in the end you will have used less time! Smile

Also I feel composing have helped my skills getting better faster, cause when I compose I sort of get to know the piano better. Where is the different cites, roads, buildings ect(basically meaning note relations, scales ect) but still I dont know where the special stones and bumps ect are! To put it in straight words, I still dont know the piano as if it where my own pocket! Smile

Read about things when you are bored, listen to a lot of music that give yo inspiration and motivates you... And learns you how music should sound! Smile Learn scales, basic theory, do some ex(Even though Im very bad at this Razz) but most of all try to have as much fun as you can! Im not very good at forcing myselfe to the piano! If I dont want to play, I dont. That might be dumb, but.. I dont know. I get an avrae of 1hour practice most of the days. Would have liked to get 1more hour, but.. Lack of motivation atm Sad ... but still I get 1hour +/- avrage a day.

Also break practice into sessions. Its better with 2-3x20min then
1x60 min Smile Cause your brain work on things in between! Like sleep is Great for my progress on a piece. I play it slow before I sleep, then when I wake up I know how to play it a lot better Smile

In a session on 1hour; Get some scales done, other ex, but use most of your time on a piece, maybe 20-40min learning, playing and perfecting already learned pieces Smile If you practice HARD like Bach, get 5-10min pauses every 15-30 min depending on how hard, to avoid injuries! Also other pieces, but Bach is often very physically demanding!

Yeah, I have probably forgot a lot Smile But I think I got a lot in there as well Smile Good Luck! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 pm

I use two very effective methods to remember when practising:

"If you are trying to imprint something, say the physical groupings/shifts in a given passage, it is not advisable to repeat it more than three or four times in a row, since your mind will begin to wander, and mindless practice is not much use."

Wandering is no good, then you play without progress.

"You create associations at key points, triggering the memory of what comes next. Since it involves muscle memory, it is useful to keep to hands poised, lightly in touch with the keys, while reading the music. Removing the hands completely, or completely relaxing them, requires you to re-orient yourself at the keyboard in mid-phrase."

When you draw a line with a pencil, you dont wanna lift the pencil up, and then put it down again to continue.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Steinbergbaum Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:07 pm

frank wrote:
I have a teacher for 45 minutes every week. You can learn many things by video, reading etc., but I think a teacher at your side while you are trying to play (and trying to be not too nervous Smile helps a lot at the beginning, if your name is not thomandy. The rest of the week I practice about half an hour per day.
Thanks, I would like having a teacher very much, but it's really expensive and I just can't pay for it.

Thomandy wrote:Smile Well, I have to smile when I read your comments sunny
Well, first of all thanks for the compliments Smile I must say its very motivating for me that you guys are so supportive of me as well Smile Thanks!! Smile

And yeah, its like Frank say, I also think its an great advantage to have a teacher! I might try to get into a school next year, and then I will get a teacher as well Smile Smile..

My learning process:
Well, I try to challenge myself with most of my pieces. In the beginning I chose piece that was very unlike each other, so I could learn different things. I read very early about how most pianists, even professional pianists go to fast when learning a piece! After that day I stopped playing fast in the beginning, making lots of mistakes, instead I went so slow that I didnt make "ONE SINGLE" mistake. Then I got to play the pieces good even faster, it just seam so slow in the beginning, and it is, but in the end you will have used less time! Smile

Also I feel composing have helped my skills getting better faster, cause when I compose I sort of get to know the piano better. Where is the different cites, roads, buildings ect(basically meaning note relations, scales ect) but still I dont know where the special stones and bumps ect are! To put it in straight words, I still dont know the piano as if it where my own pocket! Smile

Read about things when you are bored, listen to a lot of music that give yo inspiration and motivates you... And learns you how music should sound! Smile Learn scales, basic theory, do some ex(Even though Im very bad at this Razz) but most of all try to have as much fun as you can! Im not very good at forcing myselfe to the piano! If I dont want to play, I dont. That might be dumb, but.. I dont know. I get an avrae of 1hour practice most of the days. Would have liked to get 1more hour, but.. Lack of motivation atm Sad ... but still I get 1hour +/- avrage a day.

Also break practice into sessions. Its better with 2-3x20min then
1x60 min Smile Cause your brain work on things in between! Like sleep is Great for my progress on a piece. I play it slow before I sleep, then when I wake up I know how to play it a lot better Smile

In a session on 1hour; Get some scales done, other ex, but use most of your time on a piece, maybe 20-40min learning, playing and perfecting already learned pieces Smile If you practice HARD like Bach, get 5-10min pauses every 15-30 min depending on how hard, to avoid injuries! Also other pieces, but Bach is often very physically demanding!

Yeah, I have probably forgot a lot Smile But I think I got a lot in there as well Smile Good Luck! Smile
Thanks for the great tips! I will try that as soon as I pick up the basics.

VictorCS wrote:I use two very effective methods to remember when practising:

"If you are trying to imprint something, say the physical groupings/shifts in a given passage, it is not advisable to repeat it more than three or four times in a row, since your mind will begin to wander, and mindless practice is not much use."

Wandering is no good, then you play without progress.

"You create associations at key points, triggering the memory of what comes next. Since it involves muscle memory, it is useful to keep to hands poised, lightly in touch with the keys, while reading the music. Removing the hands completely, or completely relaxing them, requires you to re-orient yourself at the keyboard in mid-phrase."

When you draw a line with a pencil, you dont wanna lift the pencil up, and then put it down again to continue.
Thanks, these are some great tips, I did do lots of mindless training during this week...

Steinbergbaum

Male Number of posts : 3
Length of time playing piano : 1 week
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down