Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old pianos vs new pianos

3 posters

Go down

Old pianos vs new pianos Empty Old pianos vs new pianos

Post by kentaku_sama Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 am

Now I'm sure alot of you know this but, I need to ask some questions... Wink
I have an old upright, which may be almost 80-100 years old! Still sound pretty good.

First off, Old pianos (unlike new or recently made ones) are generally heavier in touch. This could be because of the action, or just because it's old. Due to this when a pianist plays on an old piano, (well mine at least) the playing tires your arms and hands more easily, plus speed is hindered and dynamics become more difficult. When I play on my teachers upright yamaha, it has a light touch, I can repeat a note twice or 3 times as fast as on my piano. Also I can play faster and more controllable. I don't know if theres anyway to fix this problem. If so please tell me!! Smile

Next is the fact that the "Eb" right above middle C sustains for a second longer than the other keys! This is because there is only one string when there should be 3! Can most piano tuners fix this problem? [This is a bit off-topic and only because of tuning, but the G and G# on the highest octave sound exactly the same LOL!! Razz ]

I'm not sure if this is normal but the lowest G# sounds kind of like a jet whizzing by instead of a solid sound!
[Again off-topic, but do any of you have a middle pedal that has nothing attatched to it, (in other words: it does nothing... Shocked )]

I'd appreciate any answers, and I want to do some preformance vids but I don't really like playing on my piano, and I won't do preformances till it's been tuned and fixed. Cool
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Old pianos vs new pianos Empty Re: Old pianos vs new pianos

Post by Christian Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 am

I think the middle pedal is the silent pedal, so if you "lock it" in some position of some kind,(down and into a slot on the left) the piano makes less sound.

The rest. I dont know. Very Happy

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : The Irish Drinking Song!
Length of time playing piano : A serious pianist since midsummer 2008!
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 pm

On my piano the middle pedal is like this:

If you hold the C down, and then i push the middle-pedal, I can let go of the C but the Harmony of the C still flows like if I had used the Sustain-Pedal, But I can play all the other keys or the same key without getting the sustain-effect. Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 pm

I think the middle pedal is the silent pedal, so if you "lock it" in some position of some kind,(down and into a slot on the left) the piano makes less sound.

The rest. I dont know.

No, actually I think the one on the left is the quiet pedal, well on mine, the hammers move closer to the strings when I depress the left pedal.

The middle pedal literally isn't attatched to anything, we took the botton board off where the pedal mechanisms are to clean it. I saw that the sustain and quiet pedal had rods running from them, the middle one was just there, no rod or anything, just a weight. confused It's really wierd... I think it's just for looks.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content