Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning every single key on the piano by ear

+2
Christian
kentaku_sama
6 posters

Go down

Learning every single key on the piano by ear Empty Learning every single key on the piano by ear

Post by kentaku_sama Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I had this idea where someone presses a key, and you guess the answer. first, you start out with C,D, and E. And work your way up adding more keys, until eventually you won't make a mistake. You do this once a day every day (you can) for 5-10 minutes. Is this a good idea, and if so, how long will it take to acquire the sound of every single key on the piano. This would be an awesome skill to have.
Or is there a better way. confused

One more question, is this what perfect pitch is? Wink
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Learning every single key on the piano by ear Empty Re: Learning every single key on the piano by ear

Post by Christian Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : The Irish Drinking Song!
Length of time playing piano : A serious pianist since midsummer 2008!
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Learning every single key on the piano by ear Empty Re: Learning every single key on the piano by ear

Post by VictorCS Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Perfect pitch has to be developed in the early lifetime, and is more common where people speak a pitch language.

But relative pitch is possible to attain. And as you practice you will be getting better. But it'll never be perfect. Scientists believe that in people with perfect pitch, "sound cells" in the brain dont move, they stay at the exact same spot, while a "normal" brain they move quite alot. But practicing relative pitch will make em move less, and the brain will recognice a key much easier.

Most people who've been around a piano for a while, will usually be able to pick the middle C without having a special skill tho.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 am

So I definitely won't ever have perfect pitch? Sad
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:18 am

kentaku_sama wrote:So I definitely won't ever have perfect pitch? Sad
Dont be sad, Perfect pitch is useful and all but it has its downfalls and its not "A MUST HAVE" for instrument players exactly
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:57 am

What are some benefits of relative pitch, that perfect pitch can't do?
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 am

kentaku_sama wrote:So I definitely won't ever have perfect pitch? Sad

We have had a perfect pitch discussion here at the forum. And one thing, is that Perfect Pitch is a collaboration between your genes and your experience and practice.

You got to have it in your genes, and I have read that 1/10 000 naturally possesses the perfect pitch ability.
And to get it out on the piano, you of course have to know where to place all the sounds. So you sort of got to memorize what key fits what sound, and when you have done that you can just walk up to the keys and touch them, or write down notes from songs without checking with the piano... But this is a rare thing no matter what.

But Relative Pitch, is most common, and a great thing to make better Smile It can get so good that you can almost do exactly the same as if you had perfect pitch... Or you might be toandeaf, and the boat has sailed Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:31 pm

By being born with it, do you mean like: The first or second time you here a note you'll know which one it is if you here again it later? or do you mean like with practice you'll pick up the sound of the note by it's name or location on piano naturally? From practicing scales (which I recently started doing) I am naturaly starting to pick up the sound the notes by name.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:36 pm

I have perfect pitch. Took a DNA test. That would be cool would it not? Very Happy

But no.

I'm pretty sure a teacher I had last hear has perfect pitch. Hes a total genius with instruments and music in general.

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:20 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:By being born with it, do you mean like: The first or second time you here a note you'll know which one it is if you here again it later? or do you mean like with practice you'll pick up the sound of the note by it's name or location on piano naturally? From practicing scales (which I recently started doing) I am naturaly starting to pick up the sound the notes by name.

Yeah, some are born with it. And to use it on a piano, no matter what you have to practice.
But you can test if you got perfect pitch without having it to do with piano.

They cant of course tell you where is on the piano unless they have learned where the sounds are on that piano. Then it would just be guessing.. How can they then know that the 3 A sounds like it does if they never have heard what sounds that key is producing. But If they memorize what key fits to what HrZ/sound then they can tell you with perfect precision what key you are playing.

Most common is Relative Pitch, and you can practice and train so that you also have almost the same skill as one with perfect pitch. Also most people with genetically perfect pitch have to practice and train for it to be clear. And some can just memorize what keys fit to what sound instantly.

But most people got relative pitch, which is great to have Smile Then we can recognize and fuigura out what keys and sounds we have heard by comparing the sounds. And with practice, we can pinpoint almost 100%, or with just 2-3 keys apart every time.
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 am

Well then I don't know if I have perfect pitch or not... confused
Because i haven't ear trained enough to know, however I can always tell when someone or something is off key even be a half step! So may'be I do, may'be I don't, either way I'm gonna continue to work hard practicing, and studying music! One thing I do know is that music is natural to me even though i didn't start till I was 12 or 13 Smile I believe It was natural to me even before I was interested in it.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am

kentaku_sama wrote:Well then I don't know if I have perfect pitch or not... confused
Because i haven't ear trained enough to know, however I can always tell when someone or something is off key even be a half step! So may'be I do, may'be I don't, either way I'm gonna continue to work hard practicing, and studying music! One thing I do know is that music is natural to me even though i didn't start till I was 12 or 13 Smile I believe It was natural to me even before I was interested in it.

Yeah, I can also hear if a song I know is being played with a halfstep of or more, but thats probably because I compare with what I already know. Im happy cause it seams I got a deasent Relative pitch, and thats really all you need Smile So be happy you to Wink

Yeah, I feel its natural to me to. I started at the age of 23 Razz You are lucky you started at 12 Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:50 pm

actually you can't just have the genetics to it, you also have to practice it really young...
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:31 pm

So could I still get it? Besides not all the great composers started when they were below 8 years-old.
And plus my dad tried to learn piano when I was like 4 or 5 so may'be since I was exposed to it then may'be I could get close to it Smile
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:47 pm

Why are you so obsessed with having perfect pitch? :p

Thats me being curious, not being rude. Smile

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:02 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:So could I still get it? Besides not all the great composers started when they were below 8 years-old.
And plus my dad tried to learn piano when I was like 4 or 5 so may'be since I was exposed to it then may'be I could get close to it Smile

well... it would take so much time i would say its a total waste of time.. seriously trust me its not worth it
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:49 am

Well Simply because I want improvise piano solos from songs that don't even have a piano in them!! , Plus compose without playing many notes. It's Awesome when you have this ability,
but perhaps I could just buy a ear training course, here's one that got an awesome review: Perfect pitch course Relative pitch course

ALthough these courses probably aren't that great even though it ranked 2nd place in all music by ear courses. Nah, forget it, bounce
What I really want is a way to train my ear where it will be more sensitve to pitch.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:43 pm

dude.. have you checked out my improvisations in performances? i dont have perfect pitch. check them out, ive played piano for a year.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:21 am

Dude these are awesome!! I better get to working on my compositions!!

One I'm working on right now is Called "Black Rain" or "黒い雨" "Kuroi ame"

I'm also planning on a scary, creepy song that may be titled: "The Harvest moon" Don't know yet though Smile
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 am

kentaku_sama wrote:Dude these are awesome!! I better get to working on my compositions!!

One I'm working on right now is Called "Black Rain" or "黒い雨" "Kuroi ame"

I'm also planning on a scary, creepy song that may be titled: "The Harvest moon" Don't know yet though Smile

Wow, Loved the Title: The Harvest Moon Very Happy
Looking forward to hearing that one Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:29 am

I think one problem I may have is that my piano hasn't been tuned since we got it! Trying to get the piano man to call us and come tune it.
Switching between a keyboard, piano's online that are in tune, and my out of tune piano! That's probably messing with my sound comprehension Shocked
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:10 am

kentaku_sama wrote:I think one problem I may have is that my piano hasn't been tuned since we got it! Trying to get the piano man to call us and come tune it.
Switching between a keyboard, piano's online that are in tune, and my out of tune piano! That's probably messing with my sound comprehension Shocked

I thought you had perfect pitch. Twisted Evil

Whats a online piano? If this means playing with your computer-keyboard, stay away. Thats not a useful skill. :p

And I think playing different pianos should not affect your hearing, as the notes sound the same. (When tuned.)
I'm going "back home" for the hollidays, and we have an old upright there, and it sounds like sheit, but I know what its supposed to sound like so its still playable for me. Smile

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:58 pm

I really ain't sure if I do or not, but what ever I'll try to learn the rest of the intervals by sound at least, that should help alot. after all I know all the notes in a c chord by ear before I hear them. Smile and I might know d as well, I can also tell what a scale will sound like, even ones I haven't even tried to learn yet. (well major and minor only). Anyone here tried to play an improvisation of a song that doesn't have a piano in it, it's really difficult! It takes a long while to compose the piano music.
I'm trying to create an improvisation of a strings and choir song, (no piano in it!) therefore you have to make up a melody that harmonizes by sound AND rythem! It's daring stuff. But I try my best Smile
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down