Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to develop speed most effieciently

4 posters

Go down

How to develop speed most effieciently Empty How to develop speed most effieciently

Post by JediMaster Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Hey,

I'm playing for 8 years now and it seems like I've a big problem of a speed barrier.
It seems I can't get any piece of music up to speed.
What is the best way to overcome this speed barrier?

Thanks,

JediMaster
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 8
Length of time playing piano : 6 years and counting
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

How to develop speed most effieciently Empty Re: How to develop speed most effieciently

Post by Jordan Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 pm

JediMaster wrote:Hey,

I'm playing for 8 years now and it seems like I've a big problem of a speed barrier.
It seems I can't get any piece of music up to speed.
What is the best way to overcome this speed barrier?

Thanks,

Hi JediMaster,

A great way to practice your flexibility with speed would be with a metronome. When you're playing a particular piece that has a tempo marking on it, like 120 BPM for example, set your metronome on the exact tempo marking that is specified on the piece, and practice playing it with the metronome. It will definitely help you overcome your speed and help you to maintain an accurate tempo during a piece, even if it has rubato indicated.

Last edited by Jordan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

How to develop speed most effieciently Empty Re: How to develop speed most effieciently

Post by maggiekedves Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 am

Im totally in the same problem... keeping the tempo is not easy for me...
I was hoping to overcome that ... I did not know people can have this problem for years.... so Im happy I read the post, I wont be too discourage if it wont happen overnight with me...
Although the ticking of my metronome drives me crazy... I just need to stop it... is there a cure for me?
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am

maggiekedves wrote:Im totally in the same problem... keeping the tempo is not easy for me...
I was hoping to overcome that ... I did not know people can have this problem for years.... so Im happy I read the post, I wont be too discourage if it wont happen overnight with me...
Although the ticking of my metronome drives me crazy... I just need to stop it... is there a cure for me?

The metronome is a great way to help you practice the tempo of a piece. If you're easily irritated by the clicking, another way of doing it is by counting the key signature with your voice (eg. "1, 2, 3, 4... 1, 2, 3, 4...", or "Tick, tock, tock, tock", etc). It depends on what you prefer. I personally don't mind using a metronome.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 am

i tell my students that metronomes can be very annoying at first, but they become your best friend if you just give them a chance and get to know them.

Also I tell them that the best way to stay on time with a metronome is "talk over" the metronome, imagine you know someone that annoys you, so every time they go to talk, you plug your ears and say "la la la" when they talk. This is what you want to do with the metronome, you should hear your notes falling directly on top of the clicking to the point where it's hard to hear the clicking because the note is happening at the same time!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down