Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION

5 posters

Go down

HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION Empty HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION

Post by raptors_back Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:01 pm

I am currently learning the song piece called "Greif and Sorrow" aka "Hokage's Funeral"
I am able to memorize 1/4 of the song, but the thing is, I cannot play how it is played in the original version!
When I listen back to my recording, its the right key but, for some reason, it just dont make me feel depress like how the
original version does.

raptors_back
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 5
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION Empty Re: HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION

Post by Thomandy Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:55 pm

raptors_back wrote:I am currently learning the song piece called "Greif and Sorrow" aka "Hokage's Funeral"
I am able to memorize 1/4 of the song, but the thing is, I cannot play how it is played in the original version!
When I listen back to my recording, its the right key but, for some reason, it just dont make me feel depress like how the
original version does.

Hi Smile Try to look up one of Andrews lessons on how to perform!! Smile Its on his YoutubeChannel...
That might help you!

One trick is to picture something sad, an image or a story and visualize when you play. Also I guess practicing the way you tuch the keys so you can control it even better is a great help... Smile Im not sure, I feel I manage to play a piece how I want it so Im no expert on tips and tricks here!! Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION Empty Re: HELP!! I AM UNCAPABLE OF PLAYING WITH EMOTION

Post by pianohama Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:56 am

raptors_back wrote:I am currently learning the song piece called "Greif and Sorrow" aka "Hokage's Funeral"
original version does.

It is normal to not be "feeling" that a song sounds as good when you're playing it than when you're only "hearing" it. I often play improvs and record it, it doesn't feel like much when I play it, but after I record it I listen to it again and I think it sounds aloooot better than when I were actually playing. What I'm trying to say is, that when you're actually playing your mind is busy doing something else than enjoying the music =).
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:21 pm

pianohama wrote:
original version does.

It is normal to not be "feeling" that a song sounds as good when you're playing it than when you're only "hearing" it. I often play improvs and record it, it doesn't feel like much when I play it, but after I record it I listen to it again and I think it sounds aloooot better than when I were actually playing. What I'm trying to say is, that when you're actually playing your mind is busy doing something else than enjoying the music =).

But what he is saying it that he does Not like his recordings and that he feel they lack passion and feeling.

One major issue to become a Great pianist is to manage to hear how you play, when you play the piece. So that is probably something you have to practice also I guess if it dosnt come naturally Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:24 am

playing with emtion is a tough subject. Mainly because emotion itself sometimes doesn't come when you need it to. If your recordings aren't sounding good. Try to play the piece when you're sad, play it at night, play it when you first wake up. Also imagine the piece in your mind how you want it to be played, but DO NOT play the piece, keep thinking about it for about 3 days. Then after you go to play it, you'll need to release all these thoughts you've had in your head, and you should get a better performance.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by SinkingHigher Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 am

Playing with emotion is all about accents. You play the same notes in the same order as the original song. The only thing sheet music doesn't tell you is the emotion. That's up to you.

Play along with the song. You'll learn which notes are soft, medium and hard. Eventually after a couple of... play-alongs you'll be able to change it into your own version.

The most important thing is that the song connects with you on SOME level. Doesn't matter which, there just has to be a connection. You said it should be depressing. To me, depressing includes:

forte/ff/mezzoforte low notes
Mezzopiano/mezzoforte middle notes
piano/pp high notes.

Accents are key. Tempo is important to. No one expects you to keep to the metronome exactly, so it's okay, infact it's good to stray away from it slightly but remember to get back to the beat. Speed things up, slow things down, play around with it and have fun. The quickest way to get to emotion is to just let go.

Close your eyes and picture the song in your head as you play. You don't need to picture physical objects or anything like that. I tend to picture songs as these kind of liquid, ethereal, Aurora-Borealis-type soundwaves that sort of undulate and fluctuate with the pitch. Let your body and hands flow with the rhythm. Listen to what it's trying to tell you and let the song guide you, but don't let it control you.

SinkingHigher
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 am

SinkingHigher wrote:Playing with emotion is all about accents. You play the same notes in the same order as the original song. The only thing sheet music doesn't tell you is the emotion. That's up to you.

Play along with the song. You'll learn which notes are soft, medium and hard. Eventually after a couple of... play-alongs you'll be able to change it into your own version.

The most important thing is that the song connects with you on SOME level. Doesn't matter which, there just has to be a connection. You said it should be depressing. To me, depressing includes:

forte/ff/mezzoforte low notes
Mezzopiano/mezzoforte middle notes
piano/pp high notes.

Accents are key. Tempo is important to. No one expects you to keep to the metronome exactly, so it's okay, infact it's good to stray away from it slightly but remember to get back to the beat. Speed things up, slow things down, play around with it and have fun. The quickest way to get to emotion is to just let go.

Close your eyes and picture the song in your head as you play. You don't need to picture physical objects or anything like that. I tend to picture songs as these kind of liquid, ethereal, Aurora-Borealis-type soundwaves that sort of undulate and fluctuate with the pitch. Let your body and hands flow with the rhythm. Listen to what it's trying to tell you and let the song guide you, but don't let it control you.

That's some good advice ^_^ You sound like a teacher. How long have you been studying piano?
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SinkingHigher Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 am

A few months. I'm pretty noob. I heard this song I loved and I had to learn it, next thing I know I couldn't learn enough. At first I couldn't sightread so I had to play by ear, then eventually I learned to sightread. I'm on lesson 26 of your videos, so now I know about scales, arppegios, posture (which I just realised was a huge issue), and that stuff.

My goal is to be able to play level 10ish songs and improvise fluidly but I have no clue what level I'm at now.

Anyway, I'm an artist at heart so that's where that little peptalk came from. Razz

Edit:

You're in BC?! No way! I was there a few months back. I'm in Calgary now. All this time I just assumed you lived somewhere in the U.S. I didn't pick up a Canadian accent :/

SinkingHigher
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 pm

SinkingHigher wrote:A few months. I'm pretty noob. I heard this song I loved and I had to learn it, next thing I know I couldn't learn enough. At first I couldn't sightread so I had to play by ear, then eventually I learned to sightread. I'm on lesson 26 of your videos, so now I know about scales, arppegios, posture (which I just realised was a huge issue), and that stuff.

My goal is to be able to play level 10ish songs and improvise fluidly but I have no clue what level I'm at now.

Anyway, I'm an artist at heart so that's where that little peptalk came from. Razz

Edit:

You're in BC?! No way! I was there a few months back. I'm in Calgary now. All this time I just assumed you lived somewhere in the U.S. I didn't pick up a Canadian accent :/

ahh! yes, i live in BC, Calgary isn't too far, maybe about 12 hour drive to PG.

Yes, you've got some good ways with words! Maybe a few years down the road you'll become a good piano teacher heh Wink
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down