Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

+7
Lizzy
Elongar
Geny2925
Jordan
Fryderyk
Amro
Thomandy
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Being a concertpianist - parts doc. - Page 2 Empty Re: Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

Post by Thomandy Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Christian wrote:talent, dedication, discipline >>>>>>>>> dedication, discipline >>>>> talent

Complex but true.

Not so very complex Razz But yeah... If you want to acheve anything in life you got to give it your best.
The greater talent you got, less effort is needed to get you there!

So like you say: Talent + dedication and discipline = Great Results Smile

Of Topic:

I have just calculated that I have used about 270 hours at the piano the last 6 months - With the avrage of 1 hour and 30 min each day(wich is a litte more than my actuall avrage) that equals 11,25 days... Thats not that much, hehehe... But I dont belive that I would have progresse That much more if I had used 5-6 hours a day Razz I think that the time in between hours at the piano is a very important thing... I usually sit by the piano 10 times during the day - 5min to 30 min -

But of course 5-6 hours a day used correctly I would have progressed some more Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Being a concertpianist - parts doc. - Page 2 Empty Re: Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

Post by pianohama Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Christian wrote:talent, dedication, discipline >>>>>>>>> dedication, discipline >>>>> talent

Complex but true.

very good daniel-san. wax on wax off
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:29 pm

I've always considered talent as another word for very dedicated and also learn with ease. But what is a talent really?
Most people you see that has a talent, has been practicing their talent many hours a day, maybe years.
Even if they learn with ease they still have to work hard. And even then people who dont have the talent, but dedication and discipline are close.

One of the very few I've considered as a real talent is Bjørn Dæhli ( cross-country, skiing ), I only remember 1st place, 1st place, 1st place,
he has the world record for the highest score of a VO2 max test, 96 ml/kg/min, off season...
By comparison a competitive club athlete might achieve a VO2 max of around 70 ml/kg/min.
The average young untrained male will have a VO2 max of approximately 3.5 litres/minute and 45 ml/kg/min.

You can't compare the top 10 consertpianists even if the play the same, and you dont know if they got talent because they all started before they could say,
"I've got a talent", because early in life you pick up stuff with ease. Music isnt that measurable, and there is lot of personality
involved that affects the playing. It's like fighting about Pepsi and Coca-cola... It's a dead race...

I would say talent is a missused(?) word, I watched this chinese "talent" woman on Oprah ( probably on youtube ),
and she told the audience to pick 5 notes on the piano, and she would improvise only using those.
But if you know music theory, and have playd for a while, you would manage to improvise.

If I told the dedicated [b]pianohama[b] to improvise a song using D,F,G,G#,A... He would do it with ease ( give us a new improvise please ^_^ ), I want more stuff in the performance topic Smile

( I'm waitin for my dad to make a sound, so I can get my money, then I'll post some vids myself. Why do I always write too much Shocked )
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Ive seen that girl on oprah. Looked old and crappy. No not the girl, but the recording. And even I can improv in Cmaj.

Look up Emily Bear. Thats talent for you. Razz

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : The Irish Drinking Song!
Length of time playing piano : A serious pianist since midsummer 2008!
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:00 pm

One easy way to describe talent is:
The more talent, the less you need to work to get the results.

The very best in the world got Great talent And the have worked hard as well. But someone without talent would NEVER have managed to be one of the best in the world NO MATTER how many hours they spend on getting there!!! Thats talent vs dedication... Smile

VictorCS wrote:

You can't compare the top 10 consertpianists even if the play the same, and you dont know if they got talent because they all started before they could say,
"I've got a talent", because early in life you pick up stuff with ease.

They all got talent or else they wouldnt be where they are, all 10 of them!!! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:25 am

Thomandy wrote:They all got talent or else they wouldnt be where they are, all 10 of them!!! Smile

You got a point there Cool
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:14 am

Fryderyk wrote:I play it for the pleasure and because i want to become a Concert Pianist.....and well i practice 6 hours, 7 days of the week, i couldnt go with my 8 hour routine so now its 6 hours

"Therefore, as you practice, try to gauge your progress so that you can quit and go to something else as soon as a point of diminishing returns is reached, usually in less than 10 minutes. Like magic, your technique will keep improving by itself for at least several days after a good practice. Therefore, if you had done everything right, then, the next day, you should discover that you can now play better. If this happens for just one day, the effect is not that big. However, the cumulative effect of this occurring over months or years is huge.

It is usually more profitable to practice several things at one sitting and let them all improve simultaneously (while you are not practicing!), than working too hard on one thing. Over-practicing can actually hurt your technique if it leads to stress, bad habits or injury."
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:25 pm

I luckily never over-practise nor work too hard on the same thing, im like Horowitz, i dont practice i "rehearse", thats bad in a way since im no Horowitz Razz, also despite that it is a good piano guide i dont like it
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2