Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

+7
Lizzy
Elongar
Geny2925
Jordan
Fryderyk
Amro
Thomandy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Being a concertpianist - parts doc. Empty Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

Post by Thomandy Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:19 pm

Documentary or series in 9 parts about music, piano, theory ect
Very interesting. Gets more and more interesting. . .

Part i

Part ii

Part iii

Part iv

Part v

Part vi

Part vii

Part viii

Part ix
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Being a concertpianist - parts doc. Empty Re: Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

Post by Amro Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Haha ...
So Interesting ... but I think that I'm so far from it Mad
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Being a concertpianist - parts doc. Empty Re: Being a concertpianist - parts doc.

Post by Thomandy Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Amro wrote:Haha ...
So Interesting ... but I think that I'm so far from it Mad

Well, Its impossible for me to become a concertpianist. He says that If you dont start untill 14-15 then there will always be something basic that will hold you back, and separate you from good - exstraorynary ... Ah well, &$^# happens Razz hehe

But you are 16 Wink That means there is still hope! Very Happy
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:30 am

I find this pretty Inspirational, educative and interesting. I think this has given me more reasons, more motivation to become a Concert Pianist but not in the sense of Technique and Virtousity but in the meaning of commitment,passion, etc. I know its a long way but if your haunted by obstacles then its going to be hard to reach it, as a wise men once said "The fear of failure makes success impossible" and it is very true...i think that Motivation, commitment and love make you succeed, its maybe that feeling that you know your against all odds, all statistics, all logic but you in a rare way think "im going to make it" and i think thats when its absolute and clear that you will succeed
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 am

Fryderyk wrote:I find this pretty Inspirational, educative and interesting. I think this has given me more reasons, more motivation to become a Concert Pianist but not in the sense of Technique and Virtousity but in the meaning of commitment,passion, etc. I know its a long way but if your haunted by obstacles then its going to be hard to reach it, as a wise men once said "The fear of failure makes success impossible" and it is very true...i think that Motivation, commitment and love make you succeed, its maybe that feeling that you know your against all odds, all statistics, all logic but you in a rare way think "im going to make it" and i think thats when its absolute and clear that you will succeed

I wish you all the best on that because it would be big accomplishment. You're 14 and that's possible but it'll be very hard because a pianist who has been playing since the age of 5 or younger will definitely have better technique than a person who started 5-10 years later. It's hard to believe, yet it's the truth. However, nothing is impossible but it'll be very hard for someone to accomplish something like that, especially if they started late. Some people disagree with concert pianists becoming concert pianists after they started playing piano later in their lives, but I disagree with that and I think that it IS possible, just very difficult. Don't give up, though. If you're really committed and dedicated to a strong point in your goal then you'll succeed as far as you want in life. Smile

Oh and, Thomas... I agree 100% with what you said, that's true in a lot of ways. Great thread also, I'm about to watch the video. Smile
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:51 am

Thomandy wrote:

Well, Its impossible for me to become a concertpianist. He says that If you dont start untill 14-15 then there will always be something basic that will hold you back, and separate you from good - exstraorynary ... Ah well, &$^# happens Razz hehe

But you are 16 Wink That means there is still hope! Very Happy

Lol lol!

I Hope So scratch
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am

Fryderyk wrote:"The fear of failure makes success impossible"

Totally Agreed
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Geny2925 Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 am

so that means if i'm 13 it will be hard to become a concert pianist??? Shocked
Geny2925
Geny2925
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : play piano, computer, tv, hmm..
Length of time playing piano : since april 19,2008
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:08 am

Geny2925 wrote:so that means if i'm 13 it will be hard to become a concert pianist??? Shocked

Well Razz No matter what Its amazingly hard to become a concert pianist. Razz But you have started at a right age! So you can acourding to theory become a concertpianist if you got the genes and you get the right and have gotten the right training Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Elongar Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 pm

Don't be discouraged. Arcadi Volodos, one of today's greatest concert pianists, is known for how late he started serious study of the piano - at age 15. With motivation, means, and, of course, a little luck, everything is possible.

Equally, there's no harm in remaining an amateur. I'm 17, with no intent on becoming a professional musician, but I'm confident that I can reach a level of playing that will satisfy me. The word amateur doesn't really mean less able. It comes from the French for "lover of", and initially just meant somebody who studied a particular subject more out of love and passion than for monetary gain. So in a sense, I'm proud to be an amateur because I know the only reason I learn is out of love for the music, and because I know being an "amateur" shouldn't be a hindrance to my desires and goals. Smile With time and willingness to learn, even the larger Chopin and Liszt works are playable for amateurs.

Elongar

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzy Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm

No hope for me then! I have just started teaching myself the age of 60 something I have always wanted to do but never had the time! Rolling Eyes

Lizzy
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Lizzy wrote:No hope for me then! I have just started teaching myself the age of 60 something I have always wanted to do but never had the time! Rolling Eyes

There is great hope for you to be Awesomely good Wink But not a consertpianist. If you do make it though, you would revolutionise the theory on this field completly Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 pm

I think anything is possible if you really want it, ofcourse there is limitations... If you really wanna be a concertpianoist go for it,
it's the only way you can actually reach out there. Aslong as you're not too old as in starting to feel the life on the body, or already have another career...

One good thing tho, in year 2000 Norwegian newborn was expected to live an average of 100 years, and it increases 1 year each 5 year.
Compared to 50 years ago we have alot more time to practice, that's just great, but everyday a new piece is made ^_^

Anyway, most who start playing piano do it for fun, not because they wanna become a concert pianist. geek

EDIT: OMG, he plays 8 hours a day, 6 days a week Shocked

Last edited by VictorCS on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 pm

VictorCS wrote:Anyway, most who start playing piano do it for fun, not because they wanna become a concert pianist.

Yep, I'm not choosing a career I Play for fun only .. Razz
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:51 am

I play it for the pleasure and because i want to become a Concert Pianist.....and well i practice 6 hours, 7 days of the week, i couldnt go with my 8 hour routine so now its 6 hours
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:50 am

Fryderyk wrote:I play it for the pleasure and because i want to become a Concert Pianist.....and well i practice 6 hours, 7 days of the week, i couldnt go with my 8 hour routine so now its 6 hours

Wow, that kicks my 1 hour a day-rule Shocked
Well that is great! Smile Real dedcation. Then it would be so much fun to see you play Smile You must have progressed far by now?
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Fryderyk wrote:I play it for the pleasure and because i want to become a Concert Pianist.....and well i practice 6 hours, 7 days of the week, i couldnt go with my 8 hour routine so now its 6 hours

Wow, that kicks my 1 hour a day-rule Shocked
Well that is great! Smile Real dedcation. Then it would be so much fun to see you play Smile You must have progressed far by now?

Yea! 6 hours a day is quite a bit! Back before I got sick etc, I practised 4-5 hours per day 6 days a week. Smile yea 8 hours is a bit much. Smile I'd love to see you play some day man!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:
Yea! 6 hours a day is quite a bit! Back before I got sick etc, I practised 4-5 hours per day 6 days a week. Smile yea 8 hours is a bit much. Smile I'd love to see you play some day man!

Yeah, 6 hours a day requieres Perfect Techniqe ALL the time, or else you are in deep &$^# Wink hehe
I think I have a cpulpe of days with 4 hours, but I dont manage to sit more than 1 hour at the time.... I get restless Razz hehe

8 is too much, as they actually say in one of these episodes in this topic that 5-6 hours is the most a person should play each day...
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:32 pm

I wonder if you use a perfect practice techniqe, maybe you could shrink the time to only 3 hours a day.
Then you wouldnt worry about your hands, arms and shoulders anymore.

This guy that won Mr. Olympia a few years ago didnt lift weights more
than about 3 hours a couple of times a week, compared to others who stay at
the gym every day working on a new part for 5-6 hours.

"Dorian Yates is a noted proponent of Mike Mentzer's espoused style of training, known as HIT or "High Intensity Training". HIT advocates several
different exercises and very few sets for a bodypart allowing it to be hit from all angles for optimum development."

Not that it's possible to HIT train the brain to memorize faster lol!
VictorCS
VictorCS

Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:04 am

Hehe, still Victor, You cant compare piano playing with bodeybuilding cause the drugs used in bodeybuilding is different from "athlete" to athlete... And the resistance is working the muscles in a whole different way + there are so many other factors to pianoplaying than just muscle-inecresement and stamina.. Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:07 am

yeah ive progressed much, im quite the quick-learner plus my great memory helps quite a bit i practice without sheets unless i need to learn a new section i have terrific memory , i have pretty good keyboard memory, but i dont know about photographic memory but oh well if i dont progress much i wouldnt have a chance to become a concert pianist, well if i ever get the real chance to tape myself or record mysefl well then walla, ill soon have a Chopin valse and a Rachmaninov prelude to show off Razz XD, anyways sorry for off-topic but i never had problem with my arms, shoulders when i practice, i do 3 hannon exercises twice in a row and i never have pain nor nothing, and i always play them at 90 or something like that, but i sometimes spend most of the practice time randomly playing, the only bad things is that i need to strenghen my left hand a bit...well at least i can play the presto part of the Octave passage in the Hungarian Rhapsody n 6, but i sometimes wonder how much would i progress if i practiced very seriously but i dont know studying the arts of grade 6-9 is always hard when you played for only 8 months Laughing , i try to learn easier pieces though, but sometimes i get bored of them because i learn them too fast so i end up not learning it all, gotta fix that habit
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:34 am

Fryderyk wrote:yeah ive progressed much, im quite the quick-learner plus my great memory helps quite a bit i practice without sheets unless i need to learn a new section i have terrific memory , i have pretty good keyboard memory, but i dont know about photographic memory but oh well if i dont progress much i wouldnt have a chance to become a concert pianist, well if i ever get the real chance to tape myself or record mysefl well then walla, ill soon have a Chopin valse and a Rachmaninov prelude to show off Razz XD, anyways sorry for off-topic but i never had problem with my arms, shoulders when i practice, i do 3 hannon exercises twice in a row and i never have pain nor nothing, and i always play them at 90 or something like that, but i sometimes spend most of the practice time randomly playing, the only bad things is that i need to strenghen my left hand a bit...well at least i can play the presto part of the Octave passage in the Hungarian Rhapsody n 6, but i sometimes wonder how much would i progress if i practiced very seriously but i dont know studying the arts of grade 6-9 is always hard when you played for only 8 months Laughing , i try to learn easier pieces though, but sometimes i get bored of them because i learn them too fast so i end up not learning it all, gotta fix that habit

Okay, I see Smile That sounds Great Smile

But are you sure that its cause of the hours you progress that quickly?? Cause I as I have said practice 1 hour, baybe 2 hours a day and I use about 4-5 hours to learn pieces that are grade 6+ if they are 4-5 pages long. Like My Maple Leaf Rag, have you seen it?? Its a grade 10/11 and I got a 93 on that one... I used 30 hours +/- to get it at a 93score... And I have also played 8months, 4 of them on a piano... Smile

I also get bored with easyer pieces so if they are long I tend to cut them out and learn harder pieces or Short easy pieces that take me like 1 hour to get in performancemode!! Smile

Im just saying that its maybe not the hours you spend, but how you spend the time that matters... Smile
If you get better at that, you wont need 8 hours a day.. Thats at least something I belive... Cause its in between the hours your brain works to really improve, that goes for everything, generally in life... Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I believe that you can overload your brain in a certain way, but you can never ever feed the brain with enough information,
i'm not thinking about the 90% is never used, because that "fact" isnt a fact after all.

When you have done something 8 hours in a row, your brain wont be as motivated.
I dont think it likes to do the same stuff over and over again.
And then you dont really practice the best way.

The brain also need some time to sort the information it gets, and it's easier to clean some every hour, than after 8 hours.
Lets pretend you have a puzzle, each hour the puzzle master gives you 100 pieces,
you can either puzzle 100 pieces each hour, or puzzle 800 pieces at the end of the day.
Trust me, it's much easier to see what fits when you have 100 pieces infront of you, compared to 800 pieces.

Play 1 hour, take a 1 hour break ( or atleast 30 min ), and play another 1 hour... Then you'll give the brain a quiet moment.
If you usually used 8 hours to practice, you can still practice between 4-6 hours a day, but with more break.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:10 pm

dedication, discipline >>>>> talent
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:03 pm

talent, dedication, discipline >>>>>>>>> dedication, discipline >>>>> talent

Complex but true.

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : The Irish Drinking Song!
Length of time playing piano : A serious pianist since midsummer 2008!
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next