Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie, but not new to music.

5 posters

Go down

Newbie, but not new to music. Empty Newbie, but not new to music.

Post by Luna Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 am

Hi there! I'm 25 years old (hopefully not the oldest person here), and I started tinkering around on the piano when I was about 5 years old. I had one of those toy "grand" pianos and it was blue LOL. I didn't take any formal lessons until I was 10, and took them for just two years because my teacher wasn't very nice.

Next, I started taking private flute lessons and joined the band. I was 1st chair flute out of 50 other flutes within two years of playing. I became quite advanced, winning awards in solo festivals, as well as playing solos during band concerts. I also taught beginning flute lessons, both during and outside of school. When I auditioned for a chair in one of the 3 high school bands, I was placed into the most advanced band right away.

Unfortunately, I had to move out of state with my family. The high school band here focused mostly on marching, and played music that just wasn't challenging for me. I ended up dropping out, and I wasn't able to find a good flute teacher either, so I just stopped playing. No My flute teacher in my old state was amazing, encouraging, and she really believed in me and knew that I would go far. I kick myself all the time for not continuing with both flute and piano despite those set-backs. I did continue with choir, however, from 5th grade all the way through high school.

So here I am, re-learning piano on my own. I want to take lessons again eventually, but since I read music very well, know my theory, and play by ear as well, I think I want to learn as much on my own first as I can. The biggest thing I need to work on to become as good of a pianist as I was at flute is learning harmony & chords. I need to get used to doing the left-hand work. The melody comes easy to me since I played flute and also sing.

Anyhow, my goal is to constantly improve myself as a musician. I want to be amazing again - but on piano this time. Music is my one true passion, despite all the other hobbies I have. My dream is to write my own songs (not just the lyrics, but the whole thing), and perform them. I would love to be a rock star Like a Star @ heaven like some of my idols, but wouldn't we all? LOL.

Luna

Number of posts : 4
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Newbie, but not new to music. Empty Re: Newbie, but not new to music.

Post by Thomandy Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 am

Liked your story Smile Then you probably got music in your body! Wink
I have playd piano since midt April-08 but we also got more experienced forumparticipants aswell. Andrew will be back next month!
I guess you found this site via Youtube? =) Awell, welcome. Be sure to contribute as much as you feel like, ask questions and have fun while doing it Wink Welcome! Glad to have you here! =)
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Phi Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am

Luna wrote:Hi there! I'm 25 years old (hopefully not the oldest person here), and I started tinkering around on the piano when I was about 5 years old. I had one of those toy "grand" pianos and it was blue LOL. I didn't take any formal lessons until I was 10, and took them for just two years because my teacher wasn't very nice.

Next, I started taking private flute lessons and joined the band. I was 1st chair flute out of 50 other flutes within two years of playing. I became quite advanced, winning awards in solo festivals, as well as playing solos during band concerts. I also taught beginning flute lessons, both during and outside of school. When I auditioned for a chair in one of the 3 high school bands, I was placed into the most advanced band right away.

Unfortunately, I had to move out of state with my family. The high school band here focused mostly on marching, and played music that just wasn't challenging for me. I ended up dropping out, and I wasn't able to find a good flute teacher either, so I just stopped playing. No My flute teacher in my old state was amazing, encouraging, and she really believed in me and knew that I would go far. I kick myself all the time for not continuing with both flute and piano despite those set-backs. I did continue with choir, however, from 5th grade all the way through high school.

So here I am, re-learning piano on my own. I want to take lessons again eventually, but since I read music very well, know my theory, and play by ear as well, I think I want to learn as much on my own first as I can. The biggest thing I need to work on to become as good of a pianist as I was at flute is learning harmony & chords. I need to get used to doing the left-hand work. The melody comes easy to me since I played flute and also sing.

Anyhow, my goal is to constantly improve myself as a musician. I want to be amazing again - but on piano this time. Music is my one true passion, despite all the other hobbies I have. My dream is to write my own songs (not just the lyrics, but the whole thing), and perform them. I would love to be a rock star Like a Star @ heaven like some of my idols, but wouldn't we all? LOL.

That's pretty impressive!! You really are NOT new to music!!
I agree that you might find it a bit challenging getting used to the bass staff --but that shouldn't be much of a problem for you Very Happy

Welcome to the forums

Phi
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 122
Job/hobbies : Student/Gaming, Piano, Programming
Length of time playing piano : Since Feb. 08
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 am

Thanks guys! I'll start posting in other areas soon. Smile

Luna

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Piano_Mangaka Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Well I'm starting to think i'm the youngest person here. I've played the the violin since I was 5. I stopped playing in 6th grade and started the guitar in 7th. Now I'm thinking about the piano. I played the piano every once in awhile since I was 5 but it was a electric keyboard and it didnt have all the keys and nobody wanted to teach me. So now I figured I'd teach myself... confused and I'm confused.

Piano_Mangaka

Female Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Piano, Guitar, and Drawing anything
Length of time playing piano : on and off for a few years
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Welcome, nice story! Very Happy
All that overall musical experience will definitely help and you should progress at a very fast pace, who knows, maybe your background in flute playing will mean you bring something unique to piano. The potential is there, it always is, you just need to want it enough. Razz
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down