Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arabesque #1

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Fri May 23, 2008 2:47 am

Hello all,

First off I'd like to give a little bit of background. I started playing piano since I was 8, and continually took lessons until 15. I'm 18 now, and I've been off and on the piano, but now I am seriously coming back to piano except with no teacher. I feel that my previous teachings were never that great because I was never taught Hanon, and I still truly don't understand what the bottom time signature means, and alot of stuff i've kinda missed out, yet I've been able to scrape by.

Right now I am trying to play Arabesque #1 by Debussy, but it is extremely difficult. The polyrythyms are extremely difficult, even though I had them when I was learning Le Petit Negre by Debussy. I'm practicing the part on the 6th scale everyday constantly at a slow and even pace, but I feel like I'm not advancing in being able to play this. Also my piano is very much out of tune (haven't tuned it for over 6 years).

Also, I forgot what a certain sign means on scale 19, the left hand on F.

Thanks.
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 am

Hi btw Very Happy Its a great song Smile And I can see that you might struggle a bit. Andrew Probably got som helpul tips. He plays it just amazing!


Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 am

The other Piece you where talking about.
Le petit Negre, Claude Debussy

But, I post because of the little girl playing. Look at That little girl vs that "Gigantic" piano.... Very Happy hehe

Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Fri May 23, 2008 4:31 am

Shouji wrote:Hello all,

First off I'd like to give a little bit of background. I started playing piano since I was 8, and continually took lessons until 15. I'm 18 now, and I've been off and on the piano, but now I am seriously coming back to piano except with no teacher. I feel that my previous teachings were never that great because I was never taught Hanon, and I still truly don't understand what the bottom time signature means, and alot of stuff i've kinda missed out, yet I've been able to scrape by.

Right now I am trying to play Arabesque #1 by Debussy, but it is extremely difficult. The polyrythyms are extremely difficult, even though I had them when I was learning Le Petit Negre by Debussy. I'm practicing the part on the 6th scale everyday constantly at a slow and even pace, but I feel like I'm not advancing in being able to play this. Also my piano is very much out of tune (haven't tuned it for over 6 years).

Also, I forgot what a certain sign means on scale 19, the left hand on F.

Thanks.

Hey there! Welcome to the forum

I was just wondering, when you say "scale 19" do you mean bar 19??

Ahhh yes, i know, this piece is evil, because for quite awhile until you get used to polyrhythms this piece can make you feel like you're smashing your head against a brick wall. Soemitmes it feels like it's going no where. What i suggest is one..take it phrase by phrase. SLOWLY hands separate at first, then hands together. use the metronome and stay steady. Next, as much as possible relax your hands, with this piece your hands MUST feel like they're as soft as melted butter on clouds. Once you master one phrase, go along to the next. and when you get to passages with the 3 vs 2 polyrhythm make sure to say "NOT DIFF-I-CULT" WHILE you use the metronome to keep you steady. After awhile you'll start to get the hang of it, and eventually it'll become much easier. Then speed it up, WITH the metronome, metronome is KEY here. then once it's at a nice fast tempo with the metromone off then work on hand motions. Try to move your hands in the direction that the notes are going. Try leading your hand to the note it needs to go to with your arm. Play to the bottom of the key, but play lightly. Hope that helps!

Also, for you to get your polyrythms right please watch this lesson I made specifically for polyrhythms.


_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by maggiekedves on Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

thomandy wrote:Hi btw Very Happy Its a great song Smile And I can see that you might struggle a bit. Andrew Probably got som helpul tips. He plays it just amazing!

Is it just for me? All of the videos posted in this topic says The video is no longer available.. Sad
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Age : 120
Location : Salt Lake City
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Fri May 23, 2008 6:28 am

maggiekedves wrote:
thomandy wrote:Hi btw Very Happy Its a great song Smile And I can see that you might struggle a bit. Andrew Probably got som helpul tips. He plays it just amazing!

Is it just for me? All of the videos posted in this topic says The video is no longer available.. Sad

Tested them now, and they work for me!
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Fri May 23, 2008 8:24 am

that's odd they're working for me

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 am

Hey thanks for the great replies. Yes, by scale I meant bar, just got my vocab mixed up. I don't understand what that symbol is >_<
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Sat May 24, 2008 3:31 am

Shouji wrote:Hey thanks for the great replies. Yes, by scale I meant bar, just got my vocab mixed up. I don't understand what that symbol is >_<

Did you find the answer you were looking for?

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 3:46 am

Lol well I was hoping you could tell me what that symbol is Smile
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 3:50 am

Shouji wrote:Lol well I was hoping you could tell me what that symbol is Smile

What symbol?? Razz

This: >_< ???
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 3:58 am

Well it's this symbol that for example, if it's on an F key, you automatically play the key above, but something about it I don't understand. It's also in Moonlight Sonata mvt 1, and the symbol is there, but you have to move all the keys up one in that bar in order for it to sound right, bleh I'm too confused! Please just let me know what it's called and what it officially does! It looks kinda like an asterik. *
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 4:08 am

Shouji wrote:Well it's this symbol that for example, if it's on an F key, you automatically play the key above, but something about it I don't understand. It's also in Moonlight Sonata mvt 1, and the symbol is there, but you have to move all the keys up one in that bar in order for it to sound right, bleh I'm too confused! Please just let me know what it's called and what it officially does! It looks kinda like an asterik. *

To be honest, I dont understand a word that are comming out of your... Well, hands..! But, Its late for me now. Might be that, maby someone else understands Razz hehe Smile Hopefully, or you could post a pic of the symbol since you dont know what it is named! =)
That would help me at least, so I know what sign you are talking about... And, the reason I might not understand Can be that I, myselfe havnt learned that symbol as well... But we dont know that yet, so.. Picture please Very Happy
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 4:33 am

If you can find me the sheet online I'll be glad to show you. If not, then just know that this symbol is on bar 19, first note in the left hand.
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 am

Ill let these pictures do the talking Wink

Moonlight Sonata - Bar 19

Arabesque #1 Nanan11

Explanation from - www.pianonanny.com/start.html

Arabesque #1 Marks110
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 6:16 am

That is indeed bar 19 for Moonlight Sonata, but I meant bar 19 in Arabesque #1.
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 am

Shouji wrote:Well it's this symbol that for example, if it's on an F key, you automatically play the key above, but something about it I don't understand. It's also in Moonlight Sonata mvt 1, and the symbol is there, but you have to move all the keys up one in that bar in order for it to sound right, bleh I'm too confused! Please just let me know what it's called and what it officially does! It looks kinda like an asterik. *

Shouji wrote:If you can find me the sheet online I'll be glad to show you. If not, then just know that this symbol is on bar 19, first note in the left hand.

thomandy wrote:Ill let these pictures do the talking Wink

Moonlight Sonata - Bar 19

Arabesque #1 Nanan11

Explanation from - www.pianonanny.com/start.html

Arabesque #1 Marks110

Shouji wrote:That is indeed bar 19 for Moonlight Sonata, but I meant bar 19 in Arabesque #1.

lol!
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 6:57 am

Well, it raises the note/tone by two chromatic semitones. It is the same a a whole tone.
so that A, is actually a B

Well thats a stupid sign!!! Razz


Arabesque #1 - bar 19
Arabesque #1 Uten_n10
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Sat May 24, 2008 7:13 am

Looks like i got in alittle late on this one, the sign you're talking about is a double sharp, it raises everything up 2 semi tones. Looks like Thomas already got to it. (good job thomas afro )

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 7:17 am

Admin Andrew wrote:Looks like i got in alittle late on this one, the sign you're talking about is a double sharp, it raises everything up 2 semi tones. Looks like Thomas already got to it. (good job thomas afro )

afro
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Shouji on Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:Looks like i got in alittle late on this one, the sign you're talking about is a double sharp, it raises everything up 2 semi tones. Looks like Thomas already got to it. (good job thomas afro )

So it does raise every note in that bar by 2 semi tones, ok. Well this complicates things >_<

and thomandy, thank you so much!!!
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Sat May 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Shouji wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:Looks like i got in alittle late on this one, the sign you're talking about is a double sharp, it raises everything up 2 semi tones. Looks like Thomas already got to it. (good job thomas afro )

So it does raise every note in that bar by 2 semi tones, ok. Well this complicates things >_<

and thomandy, thank you so much!!!
Actully it only raises the note the double sharp is on. So as long as that note isn't repeated in the LH (which it isn't) you only have to play that double sharp that one time since you don't run into it again.

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm

thomandy wrote:Well, it raises the note/tone by two chromatic semitones. It is the same a a whole tone.
so that A, is actually a B

Well thats a stupid sign!!! Razz


Arabesque #1 - bar 19
Arabesque #1 Uten_n10

Hehe... As I said Wink : so that A, is actually a B Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Admin Andrew on Sat May 24, 2008 6:24 pm

thomandy wrote:
thomandy wrote:Well, it raises the note/tone by two chromatic semitones. It is the same a a whole tone.
so that A, is actually a B

Well thats a stupid sign!!! Razz


Arabesque #1 - bar 19
Arabesque #1 Uten_n10

Hehe... As I said Wink : so that A, is actually a B Smile

uhhh....actually it's an F double sharp which would make it a G natural Rolling Eyes sorry to have to be the one to correct you

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."

Arabesque #1 Piano_10
Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 33
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Thomandy on Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:
thomandy wrote:
thomandy wrote:Well, it raises the note/tone by two chromatic semitones. It is the same a a whole tone.
so that A, is actually a B

Well thats a stupid sign!!! Razz


Arabesque #1 - bar 19
Arabesque #1 Uten_n10

Hehe... As I said Wink : so that A, is actually a B Smile

uhhh....actually it's an F double sharp which would make it a G natural Rolling Eyes sorry to have to be the one to correct you

Aah, so it isnt in the bass clef. I could not see that since I analyzed it after I created the image Smile
Was sure it was in the bass clef Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 35
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Arabesque #1 Empty Re: Arabesque #1

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum