Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another newbie "what piano" thread ..

4 posters

Go down

Another newbie "what piano" thread .. Empty Another newbie "what piano" thread ..

Post by dealgan Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi folks,
I'm new here, so be gentle Very Happy

My son is about to start piano lessons and is so enthusiastic about music, I think I'll be needing a piano shortly.
(He is starting with a borrowed keyboard for a few weeks to make sure he has an interest)
I intend to try to teach myself a little also using Andrew's fantastic lessons.

I have a couple of questions for you folk:
1. Acoustic vs Digital
I cannot seem to find a proper up to date comparison. Some reviews say the weighted wooden keys feel exactly like an acoustic, so reviews say they dont feel right, etc etc.
I like the idea of the digital for 2 reasons : Easier to move between rooms (we have stairs !) & can practice quietly if necessary.

Are these weighted like proper acoustic keys ?
Yamaha's "Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keyboard" as used in the YDP-140

So, my question is, can you get a digital piano with the proper acoustic piano "feel" ?

If so, what make & model are the best, without getting into the "good" acoustic price range ?

If not, then next question applies :

2. New Acoustic vs Used Acoustic
After quite a bit of reading up, and some advise, an acoustic will most likely be a Yamaha.
Next problem is : new Budget range or used higher end range. Which is best ?
Example of approximate pricing here in Ireland:

New Yamaha B1 = 2700 Euro
New Yamaha B2 = 3300 Euro
New Yamaha B3 = 3900 Euro
-versus-
Used Yamaha U1E (1972) = 2650 Euro
Used Yamaha U1A (1983) = 3550 Euro

I would naturally want the same/similar warranty with the used piano, so then question is, which is the best buy ?

Is the New B1 good enough. In my head I'm thinking push to at least the B2, because the cheapest of a range of anything is usually the cheapest for a reason.
Is a U1A from 1983 better than a new B2 ?

Thanks for any & all feedback.
Declan

dealgan

Male Number of posts : 3
Length of time playing piano : zero
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Back to top Go down

Another newbie "what piano" thread .. Empty Re: Another newbie "what piano" thread ..

Post by Rickard Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Well, I recomend that you check out a chapter from the book The Fundamentals of Piano Practice which compares digital and acoustic pianos, here:
http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.17.1
Just go to the next page when you're done reading and so on.

Rickard
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 146
Guru Points : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Another newbie "what piano" thread .. Empty Re: Another newbie "what piano" thread ..

Post by jytte Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 am

Hello Declan and welcome.

I am also a (very) adult learning to play the piano, going on 5 months now, and I can tell you, you're in for a wonderful experience. So much the better when you can share your interest with your son.

I don't know how big the present keyboard is, or for how long you can borrow it, but here's something to consider:

If you are planning to spent upwards of 3.000 Euro, I would make VERY sure that you and/or your son really are in "for the long haul".

Personally I have a Yamaha PSR E313, 61 weighted keys, and it is an excellent learning tool for a beginner like me. I got it in a local music store (didn't fancy buying an instrument over the internet, not being able to hear it first) for 199 Euro, reasoning that "it doesn't take up much room", and "if this is just a fad, I don't want to spend that much money". I already know that this is going to be a lasting passion for me, and my husband plays as well, so I am definitely planning to get a bigger/better keyboard/piano later, and then my present Yamaha will be a nice second to have around (always a piano available for both of us).

Before you go spend thousands on a big piano (of any kind), I recommend trying something like that. You won't waste a ton of money, in case the interest doesn't last, won't cost you much to check it out, will give both you and your son a chance to get a little experience (thus better equipped to go shopping for the "real thing" later), and you'll have an extra piano by then.

Best of luck to you,

Jytte

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dealgan Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the feedback & the welcome Very Happy

Yes, don't worry, I'm not going to splash out my hard earned cash on any piano until I'm sure about it.

The borrowed keyboard is Yamaha PSR-325 (from memory) It has 61 keys, but feels very "plasticy"

I quite like the idea of these digital pianos, but I havent tried one in a shop yet for feel, but they do get good reviews.
Yamaha YDP-141
Pricing is around 750 Euro new.
Again, I'd wait for a while before splashing out.
I like the portability of these, as we have 2 sets of stairs in our house, so cant move an acoustic piano to different rooms as we please !

Thanks again for the advice.
Declan

dealgan

Male Number of posts : 3
Length of time playing piano : zero
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 am

Rickard wrote:Well, I recomend that you check out a chapter from the book The Fundamentals of Piano Practice which compares digital and acoustic pianos, here:
http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.17.1
Just go to the next page when you're done reading and so on.

That summed it up I guess Cool

I have a digital because of size, weight and because I can plug it into my computer. The sound quality produced is decided by what soundcard and speakers I'm using. What I really love about it is that I can have a drumbeat running, while playing with a piano sample and string sample or another exotic instrument that do create a powerful sound. Todays technology is pretty much comparable to the real thing, aslong as you're willing to pay a little bit extra. Atleast not go for the cheapest, there is always a reason why it's cheap. That also counts for the real thing.

Aslong as I dont live by myself, or have a huge enough room, I cant really buy a grand piano Sad
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 pm

The sound quality is probably one of the main issues when shopping for a "better" keyboard. At least it will be for me. When I got the Yamaha PSR E313, I listened to it at the store (salesman played a little tune) and it sounded OK. Now that I've had it at home for a while, I see (hear) it differently. When I use my headset, the sound is great, but out of the speakers the sound is more metallic and somewhat pathetic in comparison. Now, I use headset 95% of the time anyway, so it's not a great issue, but next time around I want better sound.
Now, I'm very happy with my keyboard, but it is "just" a cheapie (199 Euro), and I guess the speakers is where they saved. They are 2 x 2.5W (not much), hence the poorer sound, I guess.

I have looked at bigger keyboards/pianos, and for example the Thomann SP5500 has 2 x 15W speakers. I have never heard that model, nor do I have any other comparison really, but I figure that 15W speakers as opposed to 2.5W should make for better sound, right?

I'm not very technically enclined, and I'm a little baffled by the fact that on the internet the description on my keyboard says "speakers 2.5W" and in the specs that came with it, it says " amplifier 2.5W", and I don't have a clue if there's a difference and what that may be.

Anyone out there with a little more knowledge in these parts that can give me (us) the low down on this issue? In plain english, please Smile

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down