Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lost as to where to start

3 posters

Go down

lost as to where to start Empty lost as to where to start

Post by griller23 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 pm

hey guys,

i got a keyboard last week and the first thing i did (considering i have absolutely no piano experience) is start watching andrews videos. I've been taking notes and im on lesson 12 at the moment, but am lost.

i think the problem is i have no external practice source to test out and practice what i know, and being at lesson 12 when you start getting into things i don't even entirely understand the terminology hes beginning to use.

does anyone have any reccomended online guides for beginners to get into reading music and playing etc? or some other sources for beginners that might work alongside watching the videos, etc

anything is very much appreciated

griller23

Number of posts : 1
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

lost as to where to start Empty Re: lost as to where to start

Post by frank Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Andrew's videos are good for starting. If you are already at lesson 12 you must have much time, because Andrew tells you in the videos what you should practice. Did you practice all tasks, e.g. can you play already the scale fluently or simple pieces?

For the terminology: I think he explains all music words he uses, but if you forgot something, you can always stop the video and Google for it, or ask in this forum.

For pieces to start with, take a look at this page:

https://afpa.hooxs.com/songs-f5/my-song-s-list-an-outline-of-suggestion-of-pieces-from-beginner-to-the-highest-grade-t970.htm

Most pieces are available online. Search for "filetype:pdf" and "piano" and the name of the piece in Google and you'll find some sheets very easily.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair123 Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm

If your on lesson 12 you already have started Smile. If you followed them carefully and took everything in, you should know how to play any major AND minor scales (which need to be practised), you know how to read basic music (!!), you know your chromatic scale AND how to play chords chromaticly (a great exercise). So if you dont understand any of these, go back. I re-watched quite alot of the lessons when I was going through them.

If your just starting out, I won't say get a teacher (although that would be the best idea ^^), but I will say buy a book! A very good book is The Piano Handbook by Carl Humphries, ill give you the amazon link for it.

Good Luck Buddy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Handbook-Carl-Humphries/dp/0879307277/ref=pd_sim_b_4
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 131
Job/hobbies : Movies&Music!! Wildlife
Length of time playing piano : 09-July
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content