Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to learn to play dynamics

3 posters

Go down

How to learn to play dynamics Empty How to learn to play dynamics

Post by endre Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Maybe there's no definite answer but I'll ask anyway.

How am I supposed to learn dynamics? Is there any trick, method or something? I am having a very difficult time controlling volume in general. Like I'm practicing a lil' piece and I am supposed to play left hand quieter than right hand, and also left hand means first note in every measure a little bit louder than the rest etc. Even if I just try left hand it doesn't sound as it should. Smile
Or even just generally speaking, it's like I'm unable to play "piano" or so. What I learn I play it some mezzoforte or forte Razz it's damn difficult if I try to play mezzo piano or piano, sometimes it's louder than it should sometimes I hit the key too soft and no sound :p
Is it normal to have difficulties with this? I can just try my best and maybe eventually it'll get easier of course but if there are any tips they are welcome.

thanks

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

How to learn to play dynamics Empty Re: How to learn to play dynamics

Post by Thomandy Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:15 am

endre wrote:Maybe there's no definite answer but I'll ask anyway.

How am I supposed to learn dynamics? Is there any trick, method or something? I am having a very difficult time controlling volume in general. Like I'm practicing a lil' piece and I am supposed to play left hand quieter than right hand, and also left hand means first note in every measure a little bit louder than the rest etc. Even if I just try left hand it doesn't sound as it should. Smile
Or even just generally speaking, it's like I'm unable to play "piano" or so. What I learn I play it some mezzoforte or forte Razz it's damn difficult if I try to play mezzo piano or piano, sometimes it's louder than it should sometimes I hit the key too soft and no sound :p
Is it normal to have difficulties with this? I can just try my best and maybe eventually it'll get easier of course but if there are any tips they are welcome.

thanks

Its hard to begin with!! I still struggle a bit when I have to play the Right Hand lower than the Left Hand, since All the piece I have played are Right Hand louder! But, Ill have to try to find a piece where the melody is in the Left Hand..

But you just have to try and try. Start of by trying hard to push the right hand faster or harder down then the left and vica verca.. Also ad it to the scales.. Im actually adressing this in a lesson Ill upload very soon!! Follow my youtubechannel to get it when it comes Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:21 am

Hmm, aight, subscribed.
I'll just struggle some more, maybe it helps in a year or so Razz

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:42 pm

Hello Endre.

Dynamics in general are something very important, regardless how advanced you are. Mastering them is at the same time easy and difficult.
You'll notice that it's easier to play very loud than to play pianissimo (very quiet) because it needs more control on what you're doing, while you can play loud by just using your weight or strength. Of course, playing a beautiful fortissimo is tricky too, and there are many sorts of fortissimo etc... Whatever, let's just talk about basics.
To control your dynamic volume, you need your hand to be quiet. Only your finger play. Try to take a very easy piece to practice on it, and try to feel how you strike the keys down for each notes. When striking a key, don't think of hitting the key; think of hitting the bottom of the keys, which is the impact point of the hammer on the string. You have to try to feel, or at least visualize this impact, and try to control it very exactly with your fingers and fingers only. Don't use the wrist, hand, arm, shoulder, back, or anything else than your fingers to push the key down and try to feel in your fingertip how it will sound.

That should be a start Wink
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 am

I am slightly better at it now than when I posted this question, but I think this will simply take a lot of practice. No magic tricks unfortunately Smile
Thanks for the answer, will try that. Nice explanation Smile

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content