Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My arms just hurt too much...

+6
Admin Andrew
zeroflash
maggiekedves
Phobik2000
Thomandy
VictorCS
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My arms just hurt too much... Empty My arms just hurt too much...

Post by VictorCS Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 pm

How should we practise recovery Smile

Not that much, but they hurt, basically because I play the guitar 30-60min a day, then the keyboard whenever I feel to do it.
Havent really counted hours, but I think it's a few hours a day, and my problem.....

I said to myself, I'm not gonna play anything today, but what did I do? I just had to watch Rick Wakeman's video again,
and I just want to play it so much, that I have to finish Houki Boshi very soon, so I learn about 6-7 bars today.
Then I did some improvising, and played some other stuff. Ofcourse this was a stupid thing to do.

I need to rest for 2 weeks to get my hands ( not biceps/triceps ) fully recovered, as for my biceps/triceps I usually lift weights 2 a week,
but right now I do 1 a week so I'm not pushin my underarm to much cause I use that when I play piano. So tomorrow I'm gonna
take a 2 week break from any instrument I can find.

Cant have a wrist and a hand that's hurting Sad

Right now I think 3 eggs each day will do the trick. Vitamins, antioxidant and protein, and ofcourse my old friend Tran ( Omega-3 ), Tran, a brand of Norwegian cod liver oil
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

My arms just hurt too much... Empty Re: My arms just hurt too much...

Post by Thomandy Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Hahaha Very Happy Well, I guess its safe to take a break. And Im right there with you. Not hurting very badly yet, but Im also working out everyday, both wheights and soccer/football =) But, I also said tomyselfe; Today IM NOT gona play, couse my wris was a bit stiff and aking. BUT... Now whay. Started with just some scales and fingerexersicises, and couldnt stop utill I had practiced all my songs Razz

2 WEEEEEEKS ? Wow... That sucks - I bet you cant do it Wink hehe But of course, safety first =) Hope it works out just fine. Cant have the tallented man that you are, injuried - Well, I at least think you are tallented =) Couse I havnt seen you actually play Wink hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:42 am

I haven't had the time/patience to actually play/pratice the piano for a few week,s and I notice my right wrist hurts. I believe it's from the 8h plus of using the computer mouse confused
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : IT
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 am

phobik2000 wrote:I haven't had the time/patience to actually play/pratice the piano for a few week,s and I notice my right wrist hurts. I believe it's from the 8h plus of using the computer mouse confused

Might be Sad

But, dont you got motivation at the moment to play piano? I guess I also will get to a period like that, but thats okay Smile
Just as long its not tooo long :p hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 am

VictorCS wrote:

Cant have a wrist and a hand that's hurting Sad

Well it depends how much they hurt... little bit of hurting is ok.. just think about Andrew and you will feel grateful immediately.
Actually I am really bad.. I even keep playing when my wrist hurt... I just put an elastic bandage on it with anti inflammant cream for a couple of days and that should help.
Of course Im not practising for long hours either.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm suffering overtraining, I almost linked to a wiki site about it, but I read through that site, and it didnt really explain anything of it good.
Anyway, when you start to break down muscles, they need 24-48 hours to fully recover before you can work out again.
But to fully fill up your muscles storage you need 1 week, after 1 week they're at their top.

All in all, recovery time also depends on how much you "exercise".

But when you suffer pain, it's usually a sign of overtraining ( if you've been used the muscle very much ), and if you keep moving on,
it'll just become worse, so the best way to deal with overtraining is to not use the overtrained areas more than you need
in daily life ( eating, driving car etc. ), after 2 weeks you can start with your training ( exercising ).

Anyway, to make sure not to get overtrained again you need to look at what you did and learn from it. I played too much keyboard and guitar,
lets say I played more than my muscles where used to, so I need to increase the amount of time carefully each week.
I also think I should focus more on how I practice to learn it faster. So I dont use lot of time to just mess around.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeroflash Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 pm

I agree to that one. doing something excessively will generally result in something bad. Well, just give it a rest. Wiggle your arms from time to time. Smile And when you practice, make it fun. ^_~

zeroflash
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 54
Job/hobbies : Technical support, Customer Service, Playing the Piano, video games, books, computers/int
Length of time playing piano : around 2 years total. :)
Registration date : 2008-04-15

https://www.youtube.com/zeroflashx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:01 pm

zeroflash wrote:I agree to that one. doing something excessively will generally result in something bad. Well, just give it a rest. Wiggle your arms from time to time. Smile And when you practice, make it fun. ^_~

Yup, i agree Smile wiggle a little from time to time. I usualle stand up and just walk and talk a bit with my sister or something, just to get moved around a bit, even if its just for a coupple of minutes - Try that more often.
It is said that if you got a deskjob you should get at least 10 min relax for every hour...
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I was on my brothers room, and in the corner I see the devil ( guitar ), "lets try to play something slow",
that didnt work so well, I could feel my wrist hurt, so I stopped at once.

Thinking, what do I want, a hurting arm, or an arm that doesnt hurt.... I picked the last, shouldnt be
that hard ( it's sad how hard it is ) to take a 2 week break, just to get back to painfree...
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:27 pm

VictorCS wrote:I was on my brothers room, and in the corner I see the devil ( guitar ), "lets try to play something slow",
that didnt work so well, I could feel my wrist hurt, so I stopped at once.

Thinking, what do I want, a hurting arm, or an arm that doesnt hurt.... I picked the last, shouldnt be
that hard ( it's sad how hard it is ) to take a 2 week break, just to get back to painfree...

I hope you will soon recover to the point where you're pain free again! I wish you a quick recovery! ^_^
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Lufa Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 am

LMao yesterday was my first day with a keyboard spent around 6 hours now my right wrist hurts lol but its so hard to stop practicing!

Lufa
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun May 25, 2008 3:49 am

Lufa wrote:LMao yesterday was my first day with a keyboard spent around 6 hours now my right wrist hurts lol but its so hard to stop practicing!

Be carefull. I stuggle with my wrist couse of an old football(soccer)injury and falls on snowboard!
So I am carefull. And you might end up getting hurt, if you dont take breaks and so. Remember, your arms arnt used to it yet! =)
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun May 25, 2008 3:58 am

yes, becareful the best way to avoid injury is to do alittle at a time, take breaks, and don't push your fingers to fast to quickly take time to warm up
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lufa Sun May 25, 2008 4:08 am

=( cant wait till i cant play the whole day with out stoping xD

Lufa
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun May 25, 2008 4:14 am

Just spread your practicetime troughout the day! Dont sit for 6 hours straight! I can also sit for 4-5 hours, mor rairly now that some weeks ago, but I always did take 5-10min on the pc, eating ++ All the time so i didnt get stuck in the same position! And be carefull about your posture... I find my self sitting a bit "lazy" sometimes, hehe, and then I straighten up. Dont want to be know as: Thomas, the humbpacked pianist! Wink hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Sun May 25, 2008 5:09 am

thomandy wrote:
phobik2000 wrote:I haven't had the time/patience to actually play/pratice the piano for a few week,s and I notice my right wrist hurts. I believe it's from the 8h plus of using the computer mouse confused

Might be Sad

But, dont you got motivation at the moment to play piano? I guess I also will get to a period like that, but thats okay Smile
Just as long its not tooo long :p hehe

I started my interest in piano from interest in music, in the form of knowing about it in a general way, to the point of being able to express what's in my head. But my wrists still hurt, and the time/dedication it requires makes it harsh to comply. Most of the (un)available time I have tends to be used in more immediate activities, mostly online, like now, or looking up something on youtube.

I find that the piano requieres a great deal of peace of mind, which I lack at the moment. No Neutral
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lufa Sun May 25, 2008 9:59 am

xD hmm lol i spent alot of time practicing jingle bells i keep getting it wrong! ehh and its such a babe song =(
and gettign my wrist hurt just for that lol Laughing

Lufa
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sun May 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Lufa wrote:xD hmm lol i spent alot of time practicing jingle bells i keep getting it wrong! ehh and its such a babe song =(
and gettign my wrist hurt just for that lol Laughing

what do you get wrong in it? If you play the notes correctly it should sound ok
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Lufa Mon May 26, 2008 5:22 am

hmm i cant get to to the right speed without stuffing up

Lufa
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shouji Mon May 26, 2008 5:34 am

Y'know, sometimes I can play until burnout trying to play a hard song, and than I just won't play for like 3 days, and when I get back on it feels like I really got better at the song some how.
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon May 26, 2008 8:19 am

Shouji wrote:Y'know, sometimes I can play until burnout trying to play a hard song, and than I just won't play for like 3 days, and when I get back on it feels like I really got better at the song some how.

Sometimes breaks do help. Actually did you know you can get better by going over the piece in your mind? I haven't spent much time trying to learn this technique as it's sort of mysterious, but doctors have found that when you imagine doing an activity intensely, your brain is acting as if it IS actually doing the activity. I forgot where I heard this a while back. Don't you think it's interesting though? I'd love to know more on this, as being able to practise things without actually practsing them would be AWESOME with my tendentious and all
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon May 26, 2008 9:07 am

Admin Andrew wrote:
Shouji wrote:Y'know, sometimes I can play until burnout trying to play a hard song, and than I just won't play for like 3 days, and when I get back on it feels like I really got better at the song some how.

Sometimes breaks do help. Actually did you know you can get better by going over the piece in your mind? I haven't spent much time trying to learn this technique as it's sort of mysterious, but doctors have found that when you imagine doing an activity intensely, your brain is acting as if it IS actually doing the activity. I forgot where I heard this a while back. Don't you think it's interesting though? I'd love to know more on this, as being able to practise things without actually practsing them would be AWESOME with my tendentious and all

Aaah, cool! You should check up on that some more. Sounds nice!! =)
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:

I probably do this often, as I read about stuff, and how it works, like when watching someone playing, looking for details about their technic and absorbing them without actually getting up and sitting on the piano myself. What a Face
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Phobik2000 wrote:
I probably do this often, as I read about stuff, and how it works, like when watching someone playing, looking for details about their technic and absorbing them without actually getting up and sitting on the piano myself. What a Face

Me to Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed May 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Now my left shoulder/neck hurts, I think I slept in the wrong position last night ^_^
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next