Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer?

+2
frank
kentaku_sama
6 posters

Go down

can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer? Empty can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer?

Post by kentaku_sama Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 pm

This is by far the easiest way to make sheet music. Can anyone here give me a step by step procedure to make it where I can enter notes in real time on my keyboard and it will record a midi file?
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer? Empty Re: can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer?

Post by frank Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Making sheet music and creating MIDI files are different things. Sheet music is more abstract and different interpretations are possible. MIDI has exact timing and volume for each note. Depends on your intention what you want to use.

For sheet music you can use http://musescore.org . Use the keyboard shortcuts to select the note length, then hit the keyboard key or hit space for pause of the selected length. It has a playback function to verify it, but no other sophisticated functions, like legato playback (but you can of course notate legato, staccato and all the other musical signs).

If you want to record MIDI files, you can use http://www.multitrackstudio.com . The lite edition is free. While recording, don't use the Microsoft MIDI output, because it has a big latency. Listen to the audio output of my keyboard while recording, or you could use a MIDI output with lower latency, e.g. some soundcards have native MIDI playback.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer? Empty Re: can someone help me set up real time midi recording on my computer?

Post by Soul_Prince77 Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm

i will agree with franks here they are two different things... as for creating sheet music easilly there are a number of programs that will automatically create this for you although i cant think of one off the top of my head. as for recording midi in real timeit can differ slightly depending on the software you use. i personally use nuendo which is a higher version of cubase... if u have this i could give u a step by step guide to setting it up... i have also worked with protools in some other studios i have worked in. basically u just want to have something to connect the midi info in and out of your keyboard/controller and computer. if u have some sound libraries on your comp u will have to route things a bit anyways if u get this just lemme know what your working with and id be happy to give a more detailed explanation
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : i play any instrument i can get mah hands on
Length of time playing piano : 6 years
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 am

I usually record all my stuff in midi, but it's not easy to make a sheet out of a midi, since a sheet is as said "abstract". But when you have the midi file recorded you can "easily" adjust it so it will look good on the sheet.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul_Prince77 Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 pm

VictorCS wrote:I usually record all my stuff in midi, but it's not easy to make a sheet out of a midi, since a sheet is as said "abstract". But when you have the midi file recorded you can "easily" adjust it so it will look good on the sheet.

i haven't really tried using a sheet music creation program what do you use? i have a buddy that uses one but it might be with live recorded instruments... he says it just automatically creates the sheet music??!! i honestly dont use 2 much midi besides the sequencer inside my keyboard but im interested in making some sheet music soon so i can write stuff for a whole band so im curious about what to do or what your using! and what do ya mean by midi not lookin good on sheet isnt it just notes??( i know its technically info) or would it depend on what or how your playing? afro
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:21 pm

I use FruityLoops ( piano ) and Guitar Pro ( guitar ). I cant record the guitar tho, so in that program I make the sheet/tab manually.

When I have recorded a midisequense I can import it to any capable sheet music program that can handle midi. But that doesnt necessary give me a nice sheet. It'll sound as I created it, but the sheet itself will look messed up.

You could use Final Notepad, I think there is a free version too Very Happy
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul_Prince77 Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 pm

sweet ill check it out i run everything through nuendo so hopefully itll work for me
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Bob Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm

frank wrote:Making sheet music and creating MIDI files are different things. Sheet music is more abstract and different interpretations are possible. MIDI has exact timing and volume for each note. Depends on your intention what you want to use.

For sheet music you can use http://musescore.org . Use the keyboard shortcuts to select the note length, then hit the keyboard key or hit space for pause of the selected length. It has a playback function to verify it, but no other sophisticated functions, like legato playback (but you can of course notate legato, staccato and all the other musical signs).

If you want to record MIDI files, you can use http://www.multitrackstudio.com . The lite edition is free. While recording, don't use the Microsoft MIDI output, because it has a big latency. Listen to the audio output of my keyboard while recording, or you could use a MIDI output with lower latency, e.g. some soundcards have native MIDI playback.

Agree I use multitrackstudio and it's great for doing MIDI.

But trying to do sheet music with a program always comes out wrong.

You need to hand edit the stuff if you can.

Cool Bob
Cool Bob
Cool Bob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-20

http://www.ebeatcreator.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 pm

I found that for me http://lilypond.org/was a great tool. But you will have to have the strange thing in your head that you like programming. It came out, for me, the way I intended.

In short, you set the key for your creation, then type the notes and duration. It will remember the previous duration for the coming notes. Use ',' and ''' for octave changes if the closest next note is on the wrong side. For example add ' /<' for opening a crescendo and you have related thing for closing I can't remember at the spot now. Add 'f' after a note for the fortissimo and you can add a number for the fingering. Place notes between ' ( ) ' for chords.

Below is the right hand part of my own piece in Lilypond:

\header {
dedication = "Inspired by Yann Tiersen"
title = "Le Labyrinthe Forme Dans Le Cerveau "
subtitle = "Il ne s'agit pas de l'objectif, mais le voyage la-bas"
composer = "Composed by: Jeroen Rijsdijk"
tagline = "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
}

upper = \relative c' {
\tempo 4 = 80
\clef treble
\key bes \major
\time 4/4
r1
r1
r1
r1
%2
<d' g bes d>1
<es g bes es>1
<d f bes d>1
<c f a c>1
%3
\repeat volta 2 {
d16 es d es a,8 d16 es bes8 d16 es g8 d
es16 f es f bes4 es,16 f es f bes4
d,16 es d es bes8 d16 es bes8 d16 es bes' f es d
c a c f a8 f16 a c a f c a bes b c
}
%4
d8-1( g-3 bes-5 d, g bes d, g)
bes( g es g bes g es g)
d-1( f-2 bes d, f bes d, f)
a-4( f-2 c-1 f a f c f)
%5
\repeat volta 2 {
d16-1\ff\<( g-2 bes-3 d, g d'-5-> d, g bes-> d, g d'->\! d,\> g bes-> g\!)
bes-3\<( g-2 es-1 g es'-5-> g, es g bes-> g es g es'\!-> g,\> es g\!)
d-1\<( f-2 bes-3 d, f d'-5-> d, f bes-> d, f d'->\! d,\> f bes f\!)
a-4\<( f-2 c-1 f c'-5-> f, c f a-> f c f c'-> f, c f\!)
}
%6
\repeat volta 2 {
d16-1\fff( g-2 bes-3 d, g d'-5-> d, g c-5-> d, g bes-3-> d, g bes g)
es-1( g-2 bes-3 es, g es'-5-> es, g d'-5-> es, g c-4-> es, g bes g)
d-1( f-2 bes-3 d, f d'-5-> d, f c'-5-> d, f bes-4-> d, f bes f)
a-4( f-2 c-1 f c'-5-> f, c f bes-4-> f a-4-> f g\> f g a\!)
}
%7
<d, g bes>1\fermata
\bar "|."
}

That will look like this: http://www.box.net/shared/e3b1udnkp4

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Piano, Didgeridoo, Djembé, Poolbilliards
Length of time playing piano : Keyboard: 18 years. Piano: just started
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by frank Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Just a quick notice: Now there is a new version 1.0 of MuseScore: http://musescore.org . Looks very good and it didn't crash any more on my PC, which was a problem with versions < 1.0.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down