Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calming aspects of playing?

3 posters

Go down

Calming aspects of playing? Empty Calming aspects of playing?

Post by Rich_P Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

After a squabble with someone and basically getting incredibly frustrated with some personal circumstances. I tried to watch the next lesson by the infamous Furmanczyk (why do all the top musicians have weird surnames? lol! ) but was unable to focus on it, courtesy of my frustrations.

So I decided to just "play" what I had learnt from previous lessons and I couldn't be sure if I was getting black sheep right. So I went and found some web-based sheet music of black sheep rather than rely on looking back on the videos. To cut it short, I managed to actually play a piece relying on the music notes! Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The piece is this one on wiki. Linky.
It appears that this version is somewhat different to the one that Mr.Furmanczyk teaches us in his video, because unless I'm mistaken Mr.F has us start at the centre C while the piece I found starts at F? And it includes several more notes to it I believe?

Either way, I'm over the moon about playing my first piece by reading the music! Took a bit to get used to the finger placements but I'm guessing that's how it works. Practicing to get an instinctive feel for where the notes indicate on the keyboard rather than thinking "ooh, that's a C and that's an F while that one there is a B" etc. Right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was also going to ask. Does anyone else find that playing helps calm themselves down? Because I felt so much better after just running through what I already knew before attempting the sheet music.

Last edited by Rich_P on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to ask the finale question!)
Rich_P
Rich_P
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 7
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Calming aspects of playing? Empty Re: Calming aspects of playing?

Post by MrLlama Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Playing definitely helps calm me down.
I personally haven't seen the black sheep video or teaching yet by Andrew so I wouldn't be able to compare the two but whenever I am mad or frustrated or feel inadequate I just sit down and start to play piano.

Not only does it cheer me up because I love music, but the fact that I'm actually learning more kinda cheers me up to.

MrLlama
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 7
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:39 am

I'm the opposite. I get kind of wound up when I play and usually need to relax afterward for while, especially if it's time to retire for the night. I'm not sure why.

As for reading sheet music, I have to cheat. Before I start a new piece I have to go thru and write the names of notes down above (or below) them. Razz
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down