Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to practice? (complete beginner)

5 posters

Go down

How to practice? (complete beginner) Empty How to practice? (complete beginner)

Post by snowman Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey!

First of all I want to thank Andrew for the extremely good videos, I'm vary grate full that you sacrifice that much time on us.

I have watched the video #1 to #6(included) and are more or less a complete beginner. I find the videos be vary help full learning the theory.

There is one problem, I do not know how to practice. Usually I just play some scales(C and D) and chords to let the fingers learn the pattern. This is done only during 15 min or so, then the rest of the time goes to the videos and the theory.

I would like to learn some easy pieces by sheet music to practice on. This could result in the following schema:

1. If I am ready for a new Andrew lesson than this is the first one.
2. theory like learning the progressions and notes (http://linkwaregraphics.com/music/flashcards/notes/).
3. Scales and Chords practice
4. Song practice

How does this sounds? Any sugestions on songs that might work and where I can finde them?

BestRegards
snowman

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 10
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Back to top Go down

How to practice? (complete beginner) Empty Re: How to practice? (complete beginner)

Post by Pianokid220 Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:04 pm

the way you patrice proablly all depends on what you want to do with learning piano
so if you want to just fool around it doesn't really matter
but if you want to go get lessons witha teacher then you should try at lest 20-30 mins a day
I partice 2-3 hours a day ^_^ I do that becuse
A. I want to bcom a concert pianist
b. I enjoy playing

so the farther you want to get like becoming a concert pianist then patrice more
if you just want to learn then 10-15 mins. a day is perfect
or if you just want to fool around then you don't have to really partrice

Austin
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

How to practice? (complete beginner) Empty Re: How to practice? (complete beginner)

Post by snowman Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 am

My aim is not to become a concert pianist ( I am already 28 ) but I do want to be as good as I can be on the piano. I see the piano learning as fun an relaxing.

I will probably spend about 1 hour a day on the piano, but the time is not a problem. The problem is how I should practice today when I have reached the video 7?

I suppose that I should play the scales that Andrew shows(C and D), maybe I should also play the other ones?

What songs should be a perfect fit for the first song to learn by music sheet?

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by snowman Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 am

What do you think of the monlight sonata or this is maby to hard as first song?

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I think the Moonlight Sonata MIGHT be to hard to start with.
When I started it I felt it was pretty easy, but at the time I had playd for over half a year!

Its all about how talented you are! So its hard to say, If you start it and feel its going pretty good in the beginning, the piece really dosnt get a lot harder. Its a grade 4/9 as far as I know.

The real challenge with this piece isnt to play it, but to play it with the emotions it deserves Smile

About scales: You would get a lot from practicing scales. I do it 2-3 times a week, with a metronome to challenge my speed and precession.
Tip: Start learning the C major, then keep on going until you have learned all the major scales. Then practice them while worming up- 5-15min as many times a week you feel like it. Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by snowman Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Okay, yes the version I got (http://www.music-scores.com/midi.php?sheetmusic=Beethoven_Moonlight_Sonata_easy) is a easy version, but the notes names are already written and I feel that It may be to hard, only workt my way to measure 6.

Do you have any other suggestion on a easy song? and where to get the music sheet?

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Hm, canon? I got a easy-sheet for that in my performance-topic, I think its on page 25 or something Razz
I started that canon after 3weeks, and I learned it in one week. And mastered it fairly good after another week but I guess it took me about a month to get Really good at it. Its a grade 2-3 I think.

There is a sheetmusic-topic in the song-forum here, with lots of free sheetmusicsources Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by snowman Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 am

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 am

Yeah, Thats a harder version!! Smile
But I dont got a scanner.... But do you know how to print screen??
Its different from pc to pc, but if you know how you can just paste it into paint and you will have a printable version in 2min.

The print screen button is located in the upper right corner of your keyboard, and says: prt sc

Usually you have to press the ctrl button before you press that. On mine I got a blue fn-button that activates it. Its different from pc's, but give it a try! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by snowman Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey!

Thanks!

I have now found a version printable here, it simes to be almost the same version : http://www.mediafire.com/?xixyxz0d42t

There is alot of version of this pice.

Offtopic : There is some things in the sheet that I do not know how to handle, pleas help :

1. The intro is 4 whole notes in G, why is thay within parenthesis?
2. Your version have beat rate 68 and this version have 110 ?
3. Why are there nubers on top of the notes? does it maby have somthing to do with fingers?
4. Why are the tribal claf set on the 5th mesure? Is this really supose to be played as tribal (above middle C)

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:26 pm

snowman wrote:
1. The intro is 4 whole notes in G, why is thay within parenthesis?
2. Your version have beat rate 68 and this version have 110 ?
3. Why are there nubers on top of the notes? does it maby have somthing to do with fingers?
4. Why are the tribal claf set on the 5th mesure? Is this really supose to be played as tribal (above middle C)

1: Well, im not sure but I think its just a beat. 1,2,3,4 - start... You dont play those G's as a part of the piece!
2: Yeah, different tempo is common based on what the arranger wants you to play. 110 is faster of course, but you can decide a little on tempos yourselfe. Thats about interpretation, but 110 sounds good and so does 68 Smile Its up to you, find what you feel comfortable with.
3: That is correct, they are finger-suggestions. Smile
4: Yup, there is no rule that the Bassclef has to be a bassclef!! So from that point and on you should treat it like its a trebleclef, until you see the bassclef-mark again, as you can see i measure 7, but it goes roght over to being a treble again. Its easey when you get used to the notes and the system. This is to make it a lot easier to write down the notes, and avoid a mess by having a lot of notes high above the clef.
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by snowman Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks!

The copy of Canon in D is simple to bad to read, ex the 4the mesure is vary hard to determen what lower notes in the trible claff really are and this goes for the moste of the notes on leger lines.

So I have decided to work my way through the Moonlight Sonata. So far I have manage to the measure 7 Very Happy

snowman
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Thomandy wrote:About scales: You would get a lot from practicing scales. I do it 2-3 times a week, with a metronome to challenge my speed and precession.
Tip: Start learning the C major, then keep on going until you have learned all the major scales. Then practice them while worming up- 5-15min as many times a week you feel like it. Smile
This is what I need to do. At the risk of asking a question that will make the more experienced pianists here roll on the floor with laughter (all you experienced pianists look away please) is there a video somewhere that shows how scales should be properly done and practiced?

Doug
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 31
Job/hobbies : Manager
Length of time playing piano : Just started
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Whatever way you choose to practice remember one thing: If it feels wrong or bad, it probably is.

Dont forget that
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down