Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singing without using the throat

3 posters

Go down

Singing without using the throat Empty Singing without using the throat

Post by wamaral Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Okay, I don't know the technical terms, so bear with me Smile

On the school where I have piano lessons, there are these "extra courses", one of them being Choral practice.
Even though there are a lot of students on the course, meaning it's not the same as an individual course, I'm learning a lot of technique from this course. I think I'm doing pretty well with posture and support.
However, one thing I can't do is control voice projection, and last class (yesterday) the teacher helped me figure out why, and we realized I cannot sing without using the throat (and putting way too much pressure on it). The teacher says we need to use the air from inside and let it flow through the throat freely, not using force from the throat itself to produce the sounds.
The teacher told me to come earlier for next class so we can work this out, but since it's only next week, I'd like to gather some material about the subject... Mechanical aspects, anatomy, anything related, so I can go prepared for next class.
Does anyone (Caitlyn Laughing) have any material or information on the subject? I'd appreciate that Wink
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Singing without using the throat Empty Re: Singing without using the throat

Post by pianohama Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:24 pm

wamaral wrote:Okay, I don't know the technical terms, so bear with me Smile

On the school where I have piano lessons, there are these "extra courses", one of them being Choral practice.
Even though there are a lot of students on the course, meaning it's not the same as an individual course, I'm learning a lot of technique from this course. I think I'm doing pretty well with posture and support.
However, one thing I can't do is control voice projection, and last class (yesterday) the teacher helped me figure out why, and we realized I cannot sing without using the throat (and putting way too much pressure on it). The teacher says we need to use the air from inside and let it flow through the throat freely, not using force from the throat itself to produce the sounds.
The teacher told me to come earlier for next class so we can work this out, but since it's only next week, I'd like to gather some material about the subject... Mechanical aspects, anatomy, anything related, so I can go prepared for next class.
Does anyone (Caitlyn Laughing) have any material or information on the subject? I'd appreciate that Wink

I recommend you to check out Singing Success with Brett Manning, it is one of the best singing courses there is, I've been using it for only one week now and I already feel a huge difference. He gives you excercises that teaches you to free your voice from bad habits. Did you know that to get a higher tone you need actually LESS air to reach it? Most people try to push through more air to achieve a higher tone and totally mess things up and start using the exterior muscles in the neck. Check his course out here: www.singingsuccess.com
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 am

Hey
What you should try to do is open your throat. In the back of your throat there is a soft pallet in the top of the back of your throat, try lifting it, but dont tighten your throat, that will just stress it.
When I just began lifting the soft pallet, and opening my throat when singing I used to have to imagine like an egg in my throat, as weird as it is, and I would try to keep my throat open enough to fit it in, not that I ever actually attempted shoving an egg down my throat.
Make sure that you keep your body relaxed, especially your throat, and if you breath properly and use your stomach/ diaphragm to push the notes out you might not be as throaty, I hope that helped a little
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Beginners Vocal Instructor/ Full Time Music Student
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 am

Hey guys (well, guy and girl), thanks for the reply!
So, last week I went to Choral practice a little earlier so the teacher could do some magic and fix my voice Laughing
Well, not really, we made some vocalises, some breathing and projection exercises, and, to my surprise, he said: I don't really know what to say, your voice is a mistery!
We found out that in fact, for any sound I make, the one doing the work and taking the most stress is my throat. Talking, singing with low volume, high volume, in lower register, higher register, normal voice, falsetto, even whispering, it's all throat. And even so, my voice comes out completely clean, not scrapped (is that the word?) like a throat voice should.
Then, after a little more "testing", the teacher said "I think I got it", but unluckly it was at the same time the other students came, so we had to stop. But he said it's most likely something wrong with my breathing.
So, tomorrow I'm having class again, so I'll come by a little earlier, and hopefully we can figure this one out Smile I'll be sure to come back here to tell the results

And Caitlyn, I'll be sure to mention him about the soft pallet issue. But there's no way I'm gonna shove an egg down my throat! Laughing What an awful feeling it must be. I don't think I can fake it, though... I'm trying here but with no success.

Well guys, thanks again for the help! Really appreciated!
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:31 am

Hehe, I never actually shoved an egg down my throat, I just had to picture myself lifting my pallet enough to be able to lol.... I dunno I think I just make weird analogies LOL
But good luck ! Very Happy
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:49 am

Caitlyn Voice Major wrote:Hehe, I never actually shoved an egg down my throat, I just had to picture myself lifting my pallet enough to be able to lol.... I dunno I think I just make weird analogies LOL
But good luck ! Very Happy

When I try that egg thing my larynx goes down.. that cant be right?
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 am

I more just lift my pallet up, it's kind of like creating the yawn feeling I guess, that openess... with out the yawn. Hmmm my larynx doesnt go down, I cant really explain what I do with the egg thing, my stupid analogies make no sense sometimes. Im sorry, I most likely caused more confusion will good on that one. Basically it's just really opening up.
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content