Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazing Grace

5 posters

Go down

Amazing Grace Empty Amazing Grace

Post by KimnKs Sat May 24, 2008 1:36 am

I would love to hear and watch Andrew go through yet another video to teach Amazing Grace and One Day at a Time.
I think they're both by Crystal Gayle but not sure on that.

KimnKs
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 9
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Amazing Grace Empty Re: Amazing Grace

Post by Thomandy Sat May 24, 2008 2:27 am

KimnKs wrote:I would love to hear and watch Andrew go through yet another video to teach Amazing Grace and One Day at a Time.

Hehe.. We have had this discussion 15time now on the forum! Wink But, I guess Ill go ahead and defend Andrews view on this one, one more time Wink

It is much more effective to teach how to read, play and practice than just making a new tutorial... That is why there exists Sheets. But to learn by sheets, you need to know notes!! It isnt harder than that. Put 2 hours into learning notes, and 1 month later I garantee you that you will be really good at reading notes. And this is the place to be, if you want to learn notes, signs get help, responses, feedback ++++++ But, tutorials is, (danger - my opinion ahead) Just a waste of everyones time!!! bounce

Once again:: If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you learn a man how to fish, you feed hin for lifetime albino
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat May 24, 2008 3:36 am

thomandy wrote:
KimnKs wrote:I would love to hear and watch Andrew go through yet another video to teach Amazing Grace and One Day at a Time.

Hehe.. We have had this discussion 15time now on the forum! Wink But, I guess Ill go ahead and defend Andrews view on this one, one more time Wink

It is much more effective to teach how to read, play and practice than just making a new tutorial... That is why there exists Sheets. But to learn by sheets, you need to know notes!! It isnt harder than that. Put 2 hours into learning notes, and 1 month later I garantee you that you will be really good at reading notes. And this is the place to be, if you want to learn notes, signs get help, responses, feedback ++++++ But, tutorials is, (danger - my opinion ahead) Just a waste of everyones time!!! bounce

Once again:: If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you learn a man how to fish, you feed hin for lifetime albino

well said Thomas ^_^ (much appreciation)

Yes, You'll learn much more if you learn how to read for yourself! ^_^ (it also doesn't help that I don't have the sheet music for either of those songs)
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by KimnKs Sat May 24, 2008 10:35 am

You're totally right and in the last week I've learned quite a bit. Maybe bordering on obsessive - anyhow I went to the library and got 3 books on piano. One of the sites has the music for Amazing Grace, I'm sure it's the easiest of the easy music but the notes and playing them together had me flustered and confused. I thought if I could see the coordination and flow it would help. It's not that I am not trying to learn the notes.
The part that confused me last time is not every piece will begin with middle C, and your left hand will start on different keys as well, your left hand has notes not on the common lines too - I think it's something like All Cows Eat Grass and a switch on the Every Good Boy Does Fine, where it is All Good Boys Do Fine, so the parts I have learned are a bit different for different pieces. Maybe some could help me better understand my current dilema. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area Smile Thanks for everyone's time.
Kim

KimnKs
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 9
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sat May 24, 2008 11:38 am

Ofcourse, most songs differ from each other, and they wont all start on C,
what you need to do is to look at the sheet, figure out what notes to play and play it.

You should look at Andrew's first videos where he explains how to read sheets, that will help you alot.

It seems to me that if a song doesnt start on C you get lost. Is that because you dont now what the other notes are?
If that's it, you should practise/memorize the names, the white keys CDEFGBA, and ofcourse the black keys.

Andrew covers most of it in his videos. And once you understand how the sheet work, and what line = what key, it's very easy.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sat May 24, 2008 5:14 pm

At first it is not easy to remember all the things, let me show you a tool to learn the notes on the staff.

An easy and playful way I am having fun with and it helps a lot is a game called Noteattack.
You spend some time with it and it is going to strengthen your sightreading for sure.
Only after 30 minutes I could tell a big difference.
Here is the link http://www.musicmasterworks.com/midi_video_game_sheet_music.html

I also posted in the piano forums somewhere a sheet which shows the keyboard and the notes together that is a big help for me so you can find easily which notes translates to which key on the piano.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sat May 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Here is the picture

Amazing Grace Scalek11
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down