Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About pedaling...

+3
Matthieu Stepec
Thomandy
greatman05
7 posters

Go down

About pedaling... Empty About pedaling...

Post by greatman05 Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm

In some sheet music, I see "con ped." written with no asterisk written after it. While I know this means that I should use the foot pedal, how do I play the pedal without it sounding muddy? In other words, what kind of rhythm do I use in playing the pedal on music that says use the pedal, but doesn't indicate where to use it and where not to?

greatman05
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 19
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

About pedaling... Empty Re: About pedaling...

Post by Thomandy Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:56 am

Well, as a general rule you should hold the pedal down for every bar. When a new bar arrives, release and push down again. Also if you are playing lots of heavy/bass notes you might want to change more often. Also if you notice any harmonic changes within a bar you might want to change as well so you don't clash harmonies! But this is not very often to see in beginner pieces, or in harder pieces ether.. But Im working on a Choping with this kind of pedal work now, so It do ac our Smile

But as a final note; Use your ear when practicing and try to listen for mushiness, the more you do, the better you get at noticing harmonic clash and mushy sound! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 am

Hello!

Pedal is a subtle thing to master... The rule with "one bar = one pedalling" doesn't really make sense except if there is really one chord for the whole bar.
Fist of all, there is not just "pedal" or "no pedal"; there is also half pedal, quarter pedal, whatever... Look at your dampers, try to feel how they release the strings... Of course if you have an electric piano you lose all subtelty about this part.

Then about when to press it and when to release it: Always press it a millisecond AFTER having pressed the note or chord you want to maintain, NOT BEFORE. This will already avoid a lot of muddyness.
Then, if there is a melody in the medium or lower range, don't press the pedal throughout it, as it would make the melody sound muddy.
Don't press it throughout a bass change, as already said.
Try to press it just enough to bind notes or chords that would sound "dry" without it; create a legato effect using it. Of course, there are many effects one can give with the pedal, depending on the piece, the composer etc...

Em... Why is my message marked on red?
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Pedaling is hard, still struggeling with it, it's quite easy to over use it Sad

I cant see my dampers or feel the strings, but that doesnt mean my body cant learn how to control the damper pedal on the digital piano. It has 127 levels and I can use different velocity curves the change the way it reacts.

EDIT: You got a guru point, that's why it's red ( a good thing )
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Oh, thank for the answer!

Of course there are high-tech digital pianos that try to imitate a real pedal, but it's still more difficult to feel and to use with exactitude than on an acoustic instrument.

But whatever kind of piano you have, the rule with the melody in the mediums and bass range should do it. And also never push the pedal too early during a piece.

However, pushing the pedal during a silence BEFORE striking a chord is recommended, as it will allow the overtones to develop more fully. But you need the time to prepare it: it can't be done during a fast section (unless you already have an excellent pedalling technique... at least better than mine lol)
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by KeyboardGal Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:45 pm

One other thing about pedalling -- it's really easy to use too much without realizing it, especially for beginners. I fell in love with the pedal as a child -- I actually liked the "mush" for some reason. Anyway, my teacher noticed this and for the first two years or so of lessons would not allow me to use the pedal in anything until I had completely memorized the piece without the pedal. The "reward" was to incorporate the pedal at the end. It used to bother me a lot that I couldn't use the pedal while learning a piece -- it always sounded so dry but it certainly taught me a hard lesson about this problem. It also taught me how to play legato without relying on the pedal for help and that's a useful thing especially in playing Bach and other early and Baroque composers. All the same -- I still love the effects you can get with a pedal and I wish I knew more about half and quarter pedalling.

KeyboardGal
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : health policy/piano, piano, piano and cooking
Length of time playing piano : age 7-13 then no piano for 30 years started again 1994
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:50 pm

About half pedalling and such effects, all you have to do is, before playing, to press the right pedal and try to listen to the dampers going up. Try to feel at what point they start moving, at what point the strings are set free. Because the only section of the pedal which has an actual effect on your sound is here: on this very small interval between full dampering and no dampering. It takes practice to be able to modulate sound using this, but it's very useful! It expands the tone-span one can use, and it allows differents types of "mushy" effects...
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by KeyboardGal Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for the explanation -- I'll try it out.

KeyboardGal
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : health policy/piano, piano, piano and cooking
Length of time playing piano : age 7-13 then no piano for 30 years started again 1994
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:13 am

VictorCS wrote:Pedaling is hard, still struggeling with it, it's quite easy to over use it Sad

I hear you. I started on a piece a while ago with pedaling. Crazy. It's hard enough to get my 2 hands to cooperate, and now my foot has something to do as well? Arrrg! No
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesesandwitchs Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:45 am

i find the ear mussel the best for pedaling i have just invested in a cam corder to so i can record performances then i can re watch and hear for a third person point of view i think may help
cheesesandwitchs
cheesesandwitchs
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 36
Job/hobbies : engineer/piano/motorbikes/golf/gardening
Length of time playing piano : 2 years on-off
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheesesandwitchs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down