Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Minuet in G by Bach

3 posters

Go down

Question about Minuet in G by Bach Empty Question about Minuet in G by Bach

Post by BrandonWalsh Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello, I am learning this simple piece and it is all going very well. However, I have a question regarding some things in this piece. Maybe it is answered in a future video of Andrews but I am not sure what to google for to find this information either so I'd thought I'd ask here.

http://www.music-scores.com/midi.php?sheetmusic=Bach_Anna_Magdalena_04_Minuet_in_G

For example, in bar 28 at the bass clef there is a rest and a note at the very same time. What to do? It's kind of hard to do them both at the same time Smile.

I'm sure it has some very simple explanation but I can't really figure it out just by listening to the MIDI file, it sounds like the note is played as usual.
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 12
Length of time playing piano : Started watching Andrews videos 2009-08, prior to that I've dabbled with it but never took it seriously.
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Question about Minuet in G by Bach Empty Re: Question about Minuet in G by Bach

Post by Circle_of_Fists Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:45 pm

You will see in the 29th measure that the D is held for the full 3 beat measure. But also later on the third beat the F# is also played for one beat.

I don't know what they call it, but it definitly brings attention to the part . Notice that the note stems are going in opposite directions when they should be going the same way. So, the rests are for the f# note, in a way.

Notice that this also occurs just a few bars earlier. But I don't think most people would even notice if the timing in these areas was not done 100% . Smile
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonWalsh Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey Circle, I am not sure that I follow you.

Let's look at the 24th bar (is it bar or measure? I thought it was bar Smile), there we have 2 half notes and a quarter note. I though that we, in this case of 3/4, only could have 3 quarter notes, or it's equivalent.

Ah, it's confusing being a beginner. Smile
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Length of time playing piano : Started watching Andrews videos 2009-08, prior to that I've dabbled with it but never took it seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 am

BrandonWalsh wrote:
Ah, it's confusing being a beginner. Smile

I hear ya, man! Wink Luckily I'm familiar with this one. Very Happy

So, let's look at the part here you mentioned. (i'll just call it "part" because I have no idea if it's bar or measure Razz ) 2 half notes and a quarter note.

The B is played on the first beat, and held for 2 beats. The B is played again on the third beat. Meanwhile, the D gets played on the second beat and held for 2 beats.

So, let me try it another way. When I play this (or try to play this, it's not always correct!) I play the first B with my 3 finger. While I'm holding that note, I play the D on the second beat with the 1 finger (thumb). On the third beat, the 3 finger plays the B note again while the thumb is still holding down the D for the full 2 beats. At the end, both notes are released together.

What is still confusing to me is that on the sheet music I'm referencing, the third beat B note (the second time the B is played), the little stem is going up! Surprised On the sheet you linked to, the stem is going down, which makes more sense.

Anyway, I hope that helps. And if you're not a stickler for following the sheet exactly, if each note is played as a quarter note, it doesn't sound much different. I think Bach (or whoever wrote this) was just trying to show off. Razz

ETA: So, now I realize why they put in the rests. Without the rests, it would look like 5 beats in a 3 beat measure. So in these cases, it's as if there are three lines of music, the treble clef, bass clef, and the middle part. Each has 3 beats. The Treble clef has it's three beats, naturally. The B has a half note and a quarter note for 3 beats, and the D is a half note, so it needs a quarter rest to equal three beats.

The solution to make something more clear is to make it more confusing! Very Happy
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonWalsh Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:57 am

Aha! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to a slow-minded Swede! Smile

So in measure/bar/magical thingy 25 the bass clef actually only consists of the half note and the quarter note = 3 quarter notes. Then there is this new magical apparition never seen before that is some sort of thing between the treble and the bass clef, which consists of a quarter rest and a half note D = 3 quarter notes.

This makes sense now. Kind of. Thanks! It's the first proper song I try to learn and it's a nice break from just running the scales. Apart from this little confusing element I find it quite easy and I hope to be able to play it straight through shortly. If so, I shall yell "All hail the Circle Guy!" at the end of every performance. Smile
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am

I know it's solved already but looking at the sheet the thought that comes to my mind is that it's like if it would be on a separate line (like you have treble, the bass and this is a third that you still play with left hand but notes are parallel to bass not after those) Smile
Like if there would be another line for another instrument Smile

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

BrandonWalsh wrote:It's the first proper song I try to learn and it's a nice break from just running the scales. Apart from this little confusing element I find it quite easy and I hope to be able to play it straight through shortly.

Wow, impressive! Great to hear you're moving along well on this one! Very Happy

It's a great piece. This was the first piece I learned where my wife was genuinely impressed with my playing. At the same time I think she realized that I was serious about learning piano and that she would now have to compete for attention. Razz Razz

If you like this piece, there is a companion piece in G minor that goes with it. It's worth considering if you're looking for something:

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BachJS/BWVAnh115/anna-magdalena-05/anna-magdalena-05-let.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWoQh4c82hE

I'm just putting the finishing touches on it at the moment. Good stuff! Very Happy
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonWalsh Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the links, will definitely check it out. And it's not really that impressive, I've only learned the first half yet so I might get stuck on the second part... who knows Smile

It's a nice little song, although I generally prefer stuff in minor but it was one of the first pieces of sheet music I stumbled upon so that's why I chose it. Sounds like the links you posted of the song in G mino would be great for practice later when I am nailing the minor scales as well as the major ones.

And it is always a little slap in the face to see this li'l 9 year old kid play things without breaking a sweat Smile

Good stuff indeed, thanks!
BrandonWalsh
BrandonWalsh
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down