Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to not play something you really want...

5 posters

Go down

How to not play something you really want... Empty How to not play something you really want...

Post by VictorCS Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:13 am

I've been listening to Rick Wakeman's Keyoard Solo on youtube over and over again, and at a sertant point in the video I just wanna move my arms and play,
at 1:06 I just wanna let my arms fly freely over the keys of a grand piano I dont have infront of me.... And second, I wont be able to play that
good for a very long time, third, I dont have the sheets, and I have no clue what songs those are taken from,
what I know is that it's a collection of Rick's works....

Posted before, but I post it again, because that's great playing:

I just wanna so badly play like that, and especially that first half of the video, right now I wish that I had the ability "absolute ( perfect ) pitch",
so I could just play along without having sheets. I just hate that music is so complicated, but so easy at the same time,
I can hear the music, but I cant play it. It's driving me crazy.

( Title of topic is somewhat not really what I wanted it to be )

EDIT: I new the first minute was Madrigal, but sheets are impossible to find, sadly enough... But just to practice and perform like that... And that lovely 1:00+ piece...

Found on YouTube right now:

"The beginning is a song called 'Madrigal', from the Yes 'Tormato' album.
On that Rick plays the harpsichord; on this video is a piano version,
but the main part of the song is what would be the voice of Jon Anderson,
and guitar of Steve Howe played to the tune of the keyboards.

Also in the song are some excerpts of Rick's solo works, 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'
as well as 'Merlin the Magician' from the 'Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table' album."

And as a last edit I just have to tell you guy who havent seen the post at first at all anyway, I FOUND THE MIDI 99% TRUE TO THE VIDEO!!!!!!
I know what I'm gonna do with all of my spare time!!!! I'm gonna PRACTICE!!!

THIS MADE MY DAY lol! http://home.maine.rr.com/abajoran/abwhsolo.mid
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

How to not play something you really want... Empty Re: How to not play something you really want...

Post by Thomandy Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

I also got that on my favourites on Youtube. Its awsome Smile
Good to hear you found the midi. You will get an exelente eardevelopment with all that playing from midis Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

How to not play something you really want... Empty Re: How to not play something you really want...

Post by truetothis Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:48 pm

thanks for this, I've never seen this before.

truetothis
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : I Left school to play music, now I'm working in a sheet metal factory (the sweet life of an artist)
Length of time playing piano : In my mind, all the time.
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-19

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:28 pm

It's a wonderful video Very Happy

I know that feeling you have inside to just play along, I feel that way about the songs that stand out to me to!

The ultimate sign of a master at anything is when they can make anything look easy. This guy is definitely a MASTER. He makes it all look very hard. I'm wondering if he's doing this by improvising on the spot or is this practised? Either way it's awesome!

When you play you've got to try to keep in mind that things aren't hard, they're easy, think EASY and they will become easy, check out my video #23 ^_^

Thanks for sharing the video!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm

thomandy wrote:I also got that on my favourites on Youtube. Its awsome Smile
Good to hear you found the midi. You will get an exelente eardevelopment with all that playing from midis Smile

Not by ear, I download midi's and open them in a program like this: Am I The Only One.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 pm

VictorCS wrote:

Not by ear, I download midi's and open them in a program like this: Am I The Only One.

Aaaaaah =) I understand. Smile I have chosen not to do any other things, couse I want to learn to read sheets at a high level, but It is a great way If you personally dont have the urge to be really good at sheetmusic reading Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:13 am

thomandy wrote:
VictorCS wrote:

Aaaaaah =) I understand. Smile I have chosen not to do any other things, couse I want to learn to read sheets at a high level, but It is a great way If you personally dont have the urge to be really good at sheetmusic reading Smile

Well thats is always useful... my goal is the same...
By the way there are programs which can create sheet music out of midis... although most of them are not free.
Im not really a big expert on midi technology but Ive heard different midi programs can create different sheet music
(hopefully for the look only and not for the sound )
Anyway certain kind of midis can help creating sheet music if you have an appropriate program for it.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:34 am

maggiekedves wrote:
Well thats is always useful... my goal is the same...
By the way there are programs which can create sheet music out of midis... although most of them are not free.
Im not really a big expert on midi technology but Ive heard different midi programs can create different sheet music
(hopefully for the look only and not for the sound )
Anyway certain kind of midis can help creating sheet music if you have an appropriate program for it.

Yup =) I think there is a program named Silibus that does that, but it is as you say not free. I havent looked for it so much, but That is a good tool to have if there is somthing you just cant find. Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Sibelius, and it's great, but it's more like a pro-program where you make orchestra music.
I use it for my compositions ( that I'm working on when I got time ).

And I would rather not say how I got this program, lets just say I know someone who knows..... ^^
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:34 pm

VictorCS wrote:Sibelius, and it's great, but it's more like a pro-program where you make orchestra music.
I use it for my compositions ( that I'm working on when I got time ).

And I would rather not say how I got this program, lets just say I know someone who knows..... ^^
LOL Then probably this is how I get my programs too

My only objection agains the Sibelius it might be good for pros... but the version I tried to use did not have notes attached to it.
Neither in the screen nor when we tried to print them... how can you tell then whether it is a whole note or a halfnote or a quarter... I could not figure out that one.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:55 am

This is how it looks in action, Houki Boshi is the song I practice right now.

How to not play something you really want... Sibelius5pr8.th
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:45 pm

How is it comming along?! Smile
Dont you read sheets a littbit even?? Do you plan to learn? Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:07 pm

In a way I know how to read, I can read from C to B on the treble clef, but higher or lower I cant. And I read very slow.
With the pianoroll I can atleast play what I read ( ofcourse only left or right, not both ), so it's fairly easy for me to sight read the pianoroll.

I never read sheets, and I'm not planning to, because I dont have any reason to do, it's not like I'm gonna visit
some guys, and find a sheet book they have, and start playing on their piano

Smile
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm

VictorCS wrote:In a way I know how to read, I can read from C to B on the treble clef, but higher or lower I cant. And I read very slow.
With the pianoroll I can atleast play what I read ( ofcourse only left or right, not both ), so it's fairly easy for me to sight read the pianoroll.

I never read sheets, and I'm not planning to, because I dont have any reason to do, it's not like I'm gonna visit
some guys, and find a sheet book they have, and start playing on their piano

Smile

Hehe =) No, thats true I guess Smile But the thing for me, is that I like to have it infront of me. The feeling of it, is actually quite nice. And when I get really good, and can play songs almost perfect by just looking at sheets, thats cinda cool I guess Smile
But the music is exactly the same if its on a prog or sheets, so bottom line its just the same. =)
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down