Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When you listen to music what comes to mind?

5 posters

Go down

When you listen to music what comes to mind? Empty When you listen to music what comes to mind?

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:27 pm

When I listen to music usually stories start to unfold in my mind, I hear the music flowing in my head and emotions start to carry me with the music as it unfolds. Sometimes though when I'm annalizing music I step back and I listen to the intervals between the notes, I listen for non-chord tones, and listen for the chord progressions. I think it's cool to be able to hear the music two different ways, but the only way i REALLY FEEL the music is when I relax my mind and let the music take me on an adventure, does that sound stupid? Rolling Eyes

Anyway what do you guys think or feel when you hear different types of songs? Razz
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

When you listen to music what comes to mind? Empty Re: When you listen to music what comes to mind?

Post by Jordan Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 pm

When I'm listening to music I try to imagine about beautiful places. I let the music take me to a beautiful place while I'm feeling a song, composition, or whether I'm playing piano. It depends on my mood, I make music for myself and for my emotions while I'm feeling it.

Depending on what type of genre I'm listening to (e.g House music, Hip-Hop, R&B), different tunes make me feel good.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

When you listen to music what comes to mind? Empty Re: When you listen to music what comes to mind?

Post by VictorCS Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Most of the time when I listen to music I browse the interwebz or something, so I'm letting it flow into my audio cortex.

But when I hear a tune or something and it's something that hits me I always think "omg, that was a great combination of keys"...

I feel I'm a better "guitarist" than "pianoist", mainly because I pick up guitarstuff faster than piano, and there is this one song that sounds
great both on piano and guitar, from The Deer Hunter movie ( theme ), it's named Cavatina, and at one point there is this really nice part,
going from low to high that sounds so amazing, and when playing it myself I'm usually thinking "how the h*** was I able to play that?"...

Well, I think that all the time when I'm playing good ^^

But the only time I play good are the times where I go 100% into the song, where I can feel the music ( i'm in the gay-corner today ).
That's like 10% of my playing, I tend to scratch the surface and that's it, I truly need to work more on become one with the song or what you guys/girls say ^^

I go with the groove, flow and soundwaves, but tend to stay in my room. If I'm in a bad mood I go extreme and turn on Dimmu Borgir or Slipknot,
but if I'm in a happy mood I listen to everything available. I love japanese music to...

So here is Cavatina, listen carefully at 32sec --> It builds up an intensity I love that just keep on pushing till 1:02 Smile
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:09 am

Admin Andrew wrote: Sometimes though when I'm annalizing music I step back and I listen to the intervals between the notes, I listen for non-chord tones, and listen for the chord progressions.

Wish I could "see" the music in front of my eyes as I listened, I guess it can come later when you are dealing with music for so long.
Music for me is not analysis ... for me it is just pure emotional pleasure.
Im just learning how hard it is to recreate this pleasure when you are "at the wheels".
Sometimes it is like an out of body experience affraid you float with the music and your body just stays on the ground. bounce
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:48 pm

maggiekedves wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote: Sometimes though when I'm annalizing music I step back and I listen to the intervals between the notes, I listen for non-chord tones, and listen for the chord progressions.

Wish I could "see" the music in front of my eyes as I listened, I guess it can come later when you are dealing with music for so long.
Im just learning how hard it is to recreate this pleasure when you are "at the wheels".
Sometimes it is like an out of body experience affraid you float with the music and your body just stays on the ground. bounce

It doesn't matter if you've dealt with music for a long time or not, everyone can feel music! You can feel music if you love a particular song, and I'm sure that you've went to a club before and had a great time. Except when you're listening to music while you're in love with a song, it's a much better feeling then when you're having a great time at a club. Have you ever went clubbing before?
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:02 am

Nah, never been clubbing. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to party like that.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:39 am

Admin Andrew wrote:Nah, never been clubbing. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to party like that.

Me neither....
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:05 am

Jordan wrote:
maggiekedves wrote:
It doesn't matter if you've dealt with music for a long time or not, everyone can feel music! You can feel music if you love a particular song, and I'm sure that you've went to a club before and had a great time. Except when you're listening to music while you're in love with a song, it's a much better feeling then when you're having a great time at a club. Have you ever went clubbing before?

I was not talking about feeling the music I was talking about seeing the music like Andrew says listen to intervals between the notes, listen for non-chord tones and the chord progressions, that is analysis right here. I respect anyone who see the music and someone who can do it right away must be extremely talented, for me everyrthing definitely takes time
I feel the music enough drunken Personally for me it is a lot more extatic if I can listen and melt away for the music in privacy. I ve never met a club I was really feeling good. Smoky, smelly, airless noisy places... are the last places I can enjoy music. So sorry your club analysis doesnt really work for me I guess...
Anyway in the previos post I mention 2 different things and the second was hoping to express my feeling toward music... I guess maybe I was not understandable enough, silent oh well.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnex Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am

Well it depends on the song like if it's sad( I feel emotional) or happy( I think happy thought!). Makes sense right. jocolor
Marnex
Marnex
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 210
Job/hobbies : Video games,computer, and piano
Length of time playing piano : Since 2008
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down