Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing Vibrato

3 posters

Go down

Developing Vibrato Empty Developing Vibrato

Post by pianohama Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:31 am

Okay, ever since I've started doing my singing excercises I've started getting these vibration in my voice, so I read up on it and apparently it's vibrato...

Anyway, the problem is that my vibrato is "slow", I mean, I don't really push or anything because I've been told that you shouldn't force a vibrato out, it feels natural, but still its to slow..

So I guess the question is, how do I get it to speed up? ^^ I was hoping Caitlyn might be able to answer this? thanks =)
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Developing Vibrato Empty Re: Developing Vibrato

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 am

hmm dont think about it too much, some times when you focus on it, it will hide on you Smile, but here's some tips to try out. You need to establish a connection of your vibrato to your brain. You also need to connect it with your breath, vibrato often comes naturally with breath support and you can control the speed with your air, and diaphragm.
It's really difficult to force a proper vibrato, you can learn to control it when you sing more and more it will then just come naturally, but it's really difficult to just learn teach yourself to do it, but you really have to make sure that you dont wobble your jaw, many people try doing that, but it doesnt work, it just looks and sounds silly. affraid <-kinda like this guy
Another thing that many singers sometimes do, and I sometimes do this depending on the effect, is pulsing the diaphragm but this is very controversial because some teachers/ singers are for it, and others are way against it. All I can really say is practice your breath support, and when you hear it try to get your brain to connect to it, when all these little elements fit together you can control it and make it go anyway you want. Dont forget that your vocal cords are like strings, they produce sound from vibrations from impulses in your brain, instead of plucking a string you use your breath. Im sorry I cant be more help with this one, but keep it up and it will come. You can try laying on your back and talking and singing and feel the vibrato, that helps with the brain connection Smile
good luck.
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Beginners Vocal Instructor/ Full Time Music Student
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 am

Well I don't wobble my jaw thats for sure... It could possibly be that im doing the pulsating diaphragm thing subconciously.. but I can say the soudn does sound pretty natural... oh well... any tips on how I can work on freeing up my voice further?
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Im not actually sure what you mean by freeing it up, but the more you practice, and the more you work on breathing and technique, you'll notice that your range grows, that you'll be able to do so many more things with your voice, and it will start to come naturally.
Just practice, practice, practice
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Caitlyn Voice Major wrote:Im not actually sure what you mean by freeing it up, but the more you practice, and the more you work on breathing and technique, you'll notice that your range grows, that you'll be able to do so many more things with your voice, and it will start to come naturally.
Just practice, practice, practice

Yeah sorry I was so unclear I'm an idiot >_<. What I ment was.. How do I keep my larynx neutral?
I've been told this is essential to singing and I need this to approach a mix or the middle voice? I'm having a reaaally hard time to finding it and sometimes I find it for like a second and then I loose it
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:58 pm

try not to think about it, when you think about something when your trying to sing it often makes you tense, and frustrated! Try to relax the muscles you use to swallow when you sing, that can help the larynx to feel relaxed, patience is so important, when you keep on singing, and even humming, or lightly singing when your doing chores, your body will take note on what feels right and it will start to come naturally.
Sometimes yawning before singing helps, when I warm up I make myself yawn. The muscles between the larynx and the soft pallet kind of go together, when you lift the soft pallet it definably helps with the larynx.
Another thing that helps is the steaming effect, hold your hand up to your mouth, and sigh on it, like you would on a window that your trying to steam up, then take in a breath and sing.
Also you can try singing with your hand gently under your jaw and make sure that nothing seems tense, that can help you tell if you need to relax
flower
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya Lin Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 am

Caitlyn Voice Major wrote:
Also you can try singing with your hand gently under your jaw and make sure that nothing seems tense, that can help you tell if you need to relax
flower

what do you mean if nothing seems tense? I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused, so which area are you focusing on to tell if you need to relax? confused
Freya Lin
Freya Lin
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : singing, listening to music, and playing the piano
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.fanfiction.net/~FreyaLin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlyn Voice Major Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Everything should be relaxed, when your tense you can go off pitch. But if you can feel with your hand tenseness under your jaw, you know to relax that area.
It takes work, it's so easy to go tense when your concentrating on belting a song or something or if your nervous, but if you can keep all your muscles relaxed it's so much easier.
Caitlyn Voice Major
Caitlyn Voice Major
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content