Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beat time Vrs. mistakes question

3 posters

Go down

time - Beat time Vrs. mistakes question Empty Beat time Vrs. mistakes question

Post by Maddogron Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:45 am

Hello everyone,
Well this is about day 4 of learning to play the piano.
I have been learning a song that is set to 81 beats pm. and sounds normal and good. I make mistakes about every
3 measures , no problem I'm learning. So I started to play with the timing some. stepped it up to 91 bpm and less mistakes.
Kicked it up to 120 bpm and no mistakes none, now mind you the song doesn't sound right but my fingers work fine to
160 bpm. Thats my breaking point, there I'm a total screw up. Back it back down to 100 no mistakes, back to 81 I start
making mistakes every 3 measures.

What am I doing that would cause this. I thought the slower you play the less mistakes and then build up speed.
but I make more mistakes at slower speeds.
Should I keep at the slower speeds? until I don't make them, or should I speed them up and play without mistakes.
I want to do this right and at the same time have fun. But most of all I don't want to get into bad habits.
Thanks again for your time.
Ron

Maddogron
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 7
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

time - Beat time Vrs. mistakes question Empty Re: Beat time Vrs. mistakes question

Post by Thomandy Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:09 am

When you play faster you dont get that same time to think in between, and that is why you make the mistakes at 81 and not at 100+. Thats my theory on it. But I dont think you should speed up!!

If you do mistakes at 81 I actually think you are doing it to fast. I think you should get it correct Without a metronome before practicing it with one!! Smile Stop the metronome, and play so slow that EVERY note it correct. If you make a mistake, play it even slower. And play everything that same slowness not got dadadadada then da da da dada.

But: da da da da da da da da

When you do it correct in a solid tempo, then turn on the metronome at a low BPM feks 81, if you then get it wrong, turn down the Metronome and build your way up.

You got to practice the piece as it should be played, not dubble the speed. Then you will get good at playing it fast, and not slow! Smile

Hope it helps. I am a big beliver in slowpractice.

I read somewhere that the major mistake most pianists, also Great known ones, are that they try to play pieces to fast, therfor making to many mistakes in the learningfase which learns the brain to not keep it clean from errors And making the learning tak a lot longer than it should!

So slow slow - then build up to correct tempo.

The reason you gt som problems at slow paste is cause the acusarity must be much better since there is so much time in between beats and notes.

What is easyest?
Counting secunds or minutes without having a clock?? Smile

My acusarity is more acurate on secunds even though im pretty good at minutes to. If you havent tried, try for fun sometime Smile

Ps: Not alowed to count the secunds if you try to get to a minute, then you really are just counting secunds Smile hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

time - Beat time Vrs. mistakes question Empty Re: Beat time Vrs. mistakes question

Post by Maddogron Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:30 am

AHHHH
Counting secounds or minutes That hits home Very Happy
Very understandable.
I thought I was looseing my mind, not really thinking about it I guess.
Again its always nice to get an opinion from someone that makes sence.
Ron

Maddogron
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 7
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:35 am

Maddogron wrote:AHHHH
Counting secounds or minutes That hits home Very Happy
Very understandable.
I thought I was looseing my mind, not really thinking about it I guess.
Again its always nice to get an opinion from someone that makes sence.
Ron

No problem Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:06 pm

If you make mistakes on 80 beats it means that your brain hasnt developed all the muscle memory paths it need to completely know the song. ( thomandy did explain about this )
When you play faster you brain will remember the patterns you've practiced and play it right, but in the end after a while not looking at the
sheet this "holes" will get bigger until you cant play the song perfect anymore.

Lets say you drive on a road, it has a few holes, but if you drive fast enough the car will manage to fly over the hole.
But if you drive slow the wheel will get stuck in the hole.

It's better to fix the holes in the road, than forget about them, because one day they will back fire. So practice the song at 80 whatever beats per second,
til you've got it right, playin at 120bpm then, will be much safer, you dont have to worry about holes anymore...
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down