Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question?

+2
Thomandy
VictorCS
6 posters

Go down

Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question? Empty Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question?

Post by VictorCS Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm

First of all, any here have perfect pitch ( able to play the exact note you hear ), or a good relative pitch so you're able to play by ear?
Myself do have on above average relative pitch, but not that good...

lol!

Off-topic...:
I got myself a little problem, I'm tabbing this song, "Home Coming", from Rambo: First Blood...
It's the first melody they play when the movie starts...
I think it's actually based on the "It's a long road", the song made for this movie, performed by Dan Hill...

I've managed to write down the first 5 measures, probably correct, but then it's messing with me, especially the trumpet or horn whatever that's playing:
( the red is just an unfinished measure, play it on the instrument of your choosing ^_^ )
Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question? Ramboic0

This is the piece:

If you look around on youtube you will probably see 3-4 videos of guys playing it on guitar,
but I think they play it in a different "pitch", and they dont play all the keys right....

Since a proper tab isnt anywhere, and MGM owns the right of this movie, and Jerry Goldsmith is dead, and it was actually Orion that owned the rights of this film before they was merged with MGM, and it was another company involved before Orion, and because the sheets are probably gone, or locked inside an huge archive, it wont be easy to find if I dont have a job in the company myself...

You get the drawing ^_^
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question? Empty Re: Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question?

Post by Thomandy Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 pm

I havent explored my pitch yet, but I can easly fuigure out melodylies, and getting better at basscleff-lines to. But I dont know about perfect pitch, to find out that you have to learn what tone is placed where. I have to look for the right keys, but find them fast and know at onece if its up or down from the first key I press... But I doubt I got perfect pitch. I read 1/10 000 got that
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question? Empty Re: Anyone here with perfect pitch + offtopic question?

Post by pianohama Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Thomandy wrote:I havent explored my pitch yet, but I can easly fuigure out melodylies, and getting better at basscleff-lines to. But I dont know about perfect pitch, to find out that you have to learn what tone is placed where. I have to look for the right keys, but find them fast and know at onece if its up or down from the first key I press... But I doubt I got perfect pitch. I read 1/10 000 got that

Perfect pitch is when you hear a note and know in your mind exactly what note it is, comparing the note with notes that you play is relative pitch =).
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 pm

No one is really "born" knowing perfect pitch, I suppose there are exceptions, but generally most people have the ability to develop their ear to the point of perfect pitch, it's a skill like anything else Smile takes practise.

Sad I'm not sure if I can answer your question Victor, my sense of pitch isn't that well developed. (*cough* and i'm lazy*cough*) Laughing sorry... Embarassed
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 pm

pianohama wrote:
Thomandy wrote:I havent explored my pitch yet, but I can easly fuigure out melodylies, and getting better at basscleff-lines to. But I dont know about perfect pitch, to find out that you have to learn what tone is placed where. I have to look for the right keys, but find them fast and know at onece if its up or down from the first key I press... But I doubt I got perfect pitch. I read 1/10 000 got that

Perfect pitch is when you hear a note and know in your mind exactly what note it is, comparing the note with notes that you play is relative pitch =).

Hehe.... You need to learn the keys and where they are to pinpoint it Wink So to find out if you got perfect pitch you need to memorize where every single notes are placed, what keys they are "attached" to before you can push that key that got that tone you hear!!! I would like to see a person with this genetics just walk to a piano after hearing a single note and push the right key withouth ever tuching a keyboard... If I understoud you right?!

Cause I know what perfect pich is, and as I said I doubt that I got it.. But one must explore the keyboard and learn where all the tones are before you can attach the tone to the right key, or else Pianohama, Its like guessing!

I know I got fair relative pitch, but yet I dont know If I got perfect pitch! That is something Ill have to explore alot more to find out!

Admin Andrew wrote:No one is really "born" knowing perfect pitch, I suppose there are exceptions, but generally most people have the ability to develop their ear to the point of perfect pitch, it's a skill like anything else Smile

Yup Smile It takes practice to find out. Those who got the genetics can develope by practice and theory to be able to pinpoin every sinlgle notes r just write down the name of the notes when they hear them. But how can one do that if one hasnt Ex: Learned the notenames, so like anything else, practice and theory Smile Some of course are tonedeaf, what a pity Sad
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:54 pm

Sepheron has perfect pitch, and he didn't have any special training, so I think it's something you're born with. Sure, you can train your hearing to be able to figure one or two notes out eventually, but I doubt you can get perfect pitch from practicing..
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:46 am

Actually studies have shown that Pre-natal music contact makes the development of Perfect Pitch possible but Perfect pitch has its flaws you dont need perfect pitch to become a genious, althought ive heard Relative pitch or Perfect pitch can be used as a great advantaged for composition, i do not have perfect pitch nor nothing, i may have (because i before i could identify notes and all easily but) but i think it was relative pitch, i dont remember it was a very long time ago, they say that if you dont mold your perfect pitch or relative pitch you can lose it...Perfect Pitch and Relative pitch are development abilities
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:34 am

pianohama wrote:Sepheron has perfect pitch, and he didn't have any special training, so I think it's something you're born with. Sure, you can train your hearing to be able to figure one or two notes out eventually, but I doubt you can get perfect pitch from practicing..

Lets say your brain is a room, and there you have all these pitches placed in boxes....
If you got perfect pitch these boxes will never move. but if you dont have these will change place though out your life...

It's like a piano, the keys stays the same, it's like a brain developed with perfect pitch... If these keys would've changed every time you
tryied to play the piano you would not have perfect pitch, and the piano would be a relative pitched piano...
( would be cool.... relative pitched piano, buy now, the keys get scrambled once a day ^_^ )

But by developing and practice you can make these boxes move less, and then you might not need to press 5 keys before you hit the right key,
maybe you only need 2-3... It's all about those boxes in our brains auditory room... Do they move, or do they not, normaly they move....

Would be cool to transcribe with perfect pitch...

EDIT: People speaking pitch languages.... aka asian languages have a greater chance to develope perfect pitch, remember this developes at an early stage in life....
VictorCS
VictorCS

Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 am

Perfect (or Absolute) Pitch is actually something more than you guys are talking.

It's not just about hearing a note and being able to play that note on an instrument - that's perception and comes with training
It's also not about being able to hear a melody and tell if a note is off - that's relative pitch, and comes with training too

A simple example: if you have perfect pitch, at any moment I could come to you and say: "Sing to me a B flat just below middle C on a Piano", and you would sing that note perfectly, right away, without having any other reference tone around.
Compared to that, I have pretty decent relative pitch. So if you had a Piano and come to me and said: "That note I'm playing right now is a C below middle C. Sing to me an A one octave above", I can probably sing that A right on the spot. But without you playing the C on the Piano I would have absolutely no idea what pitch that A was. I could try getting that by memory, I could even get really close (closer than a semitone), but to hit that on the spot would be just luck - I'd need perfect pitch for that.

Here's the Wikipedia article on that, which discusses among other things, wether Perfect Pitch is an inborn talent or can be acquired with training:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_pitch

Researchers have been trying to teach absolute pitch ability for more than a century, and various commercial absolute-pitch training courses have been offered to the public since the early 1900s. It has been shown possible to learn the naming of tones later in life, although some consider this skill not to be true absolute pitch. Although it has been shown possible to learn to identify pitches, keys, and everyday sounds later in life, no training method for adults has yet been shown to produce abilities comparable to naturally occurring absolute pitch.

Out of curiosity, Perfect Pitch can be a burden sometimes, as described here:
Persons who have absolute pitch may feel irritated when a piece is transposed to a different key or played at a nonstandard pitch. Musicians with absolute pitch may fail to develop relative pitch skills when following standard curricula, persisting instead in a habit of conceptualizing music as a sequence of absolute tones; it thus becomes difficult for them to transpose or play a transposing instrument. Absolute pitch possessors have also been known to find it difficult to play with an orchestra that is not tuned to standard concert pitch A4 = 440 hertz (442 Hz in some countries); this may be due to a perception of pitch which is categorical rather than freely adjustable. Additionally, post-tonal music can be problematic for a person who attends to individual pitches rather than intervallic content.
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:47 am

Just out of curiosity too, my singing teacher once told me he had the pleasure to know a well-known Brazilian maestro named Hermeto Pascoal, and my teacher told me that Hermeto could be able to hear a whole orchestra and say something like "Hey 2nd violin, 3rd chair, your 1st string is off by 1/4th of a tone, tune that up ok?"
Then again, Hermeto is truly a genius (with perfect pitch), so that's not really very common Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:37 am

Those with perfect pitch seems to be annoyed by stuff played out of tune, so I think he can probably
pick the one with the wrong tuning, but I also think it depends on the size of the orchestra.

A symphony can have up to about 100 people, that's alot... Imagine if 20 of them are a little out of tune, that would be annoying for perfect pitch gifted.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:05 pm

wamaral wrote:Just out of curiosity too, my singing teacher once told me he had the pleasure to know a well-known Brazilian maestro named Hermeto Pascoal, and my teacher told me that Hermeto could be able to hear a whole orchestra and say something like "Hey 2nd violin, 3rd chair, your 1st string is off by 1/4th of a tone, tune that up ok?"
Then again, Hermeto is truly a genius (with perfect pitch), so that's not really very common Laughing

I totally agree with your definition dude. Relative pitch is when you relate your tone to something by hearing how light or dark it is, perfect pitch is just know it just like that, doesn't have to do with how dark or light it is.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down