Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's

+3
VictorCS
pianohama
Amro
7 posters

Go down

Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's Empty Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's

Post by Amro Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 pm

OK .. Hi Again ..

Although I understood these & Andrew said that they are not so important .. (or more advanced)

But I wanna ask what is the importance of these ..

Just to end a piece ??
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's Empty Re: Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's

Post by pianohama Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm

It's a chord. Whats the importance with a minor and a major chord? they give different sounds
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's Empty Re: Arpeggios, Dominate 7th's and Diminished 7th's

Post by VictorCS Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Amro wrote:Just to end a piece ??

To make a piece sound finito you'll have to make a "perfect cadence" ( wrong spelling I think ), but they dont need to be 7th...

If I'm not wrong 7th's are very important in blues and that genre of music.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 pm

VictorCS wrote:
Amro wrote:Just to end a piece ??

To make a piece sound finito you'll have to make a "perfect cadence" ( wrong spelling I think ), but they dont need to be 7th...

If I'm not wrong 7th's are very important in blues and that genre of music.

Good Answer Vic Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 am

Yup, dominate 7th's give a different tonal color, it's all about variety in the end. music would be boring if there were only 2 chords no? ^_^ dominate 7ths can be used in place of a regular dominate chord, to give it a bit more spice, or pull for that matter.

The diminished chords are good for creating spooky/mysterious atmospheres, and they're commonly used chords by composers in music, so that is why they are mentioned ^_^.

Hope that info helps.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Well ...
Thanks .. I got it ..

But I think that it's more advanced & I need alot of time to play them !!
Right ??

Thanks ^_^
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:

Hope that info helps.

Ofcourse that helps ...

You Couldn't say anything that doesn't help Suspect
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Dominate 7th (CDom7, or C7), and Diminished 7th's (Cdim7, Co7), there are quite a few symbols that represent the chords. They're popular in jazz music and definitely in blues. In jazz, when you're creating a progression with a series of chords you'd use a Dominate 7th chord or a Diminished 7th chord to either move back to the dominant or play one on the leading tone back to the tonic, or you could play them which ever way you want. Going from slight dissonance which can be transitional while going back to consonance can end a phrase, or chord progression.

A dominate 7th chord usually has a slight sound of dissonance, which means unstable or not sounding together because of the 7th being minor. 7th chords can only be created with a major chord.

A diminished 7th chord is very dissonant and is usually unpleasant to hear over and over again but they can sound great if you create a good voicing, or play them in different inversions, and because of that it is transitional and temporary while moving with chords. This chord can be created by making the mediant (3rd) minor, and the 5th and 7th being diminished. Smile
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 am

Jordan wrote:Dominate 7th (CDom7, or C7), and Diminished 7th's (Cdim7, Co7), there are quite a few symbols that represent the chords. They're popular in jazz music and definitely in blues. In jazz, when you're creating a progression with a series of chords you'd use a Dominate 7th chord or a Diminished 7th chord to either move back to the dominant or play one on the leading tone back to the tonic, or you could play them which ever way you want. Going from slight dissonance which can be transitional while going back to consonance can end a phrase, or chord progression.

A dominate 7th chord usually has a slight sound of dissonance, which means unstable or not sounding together because of the 7th being minor. 7th chords can only be created with a major chord.

A diminished 7th chord is very dissonant and is usually unpleasant to hear over and over again but they can sound great if you create a good voicing, or play them in different inversions, and because of that it is transitional and temporary while moving with chords. This chord can be created by making the mediant (3rd) minor, and the 5th and 7th being diminished. Smile

Thanks Jordan for these infos ..
But should I Do them everyday in practising cuz i'm rarely play Jazz or Blues
(Actually not play cuz I didnt play anything but Just Hoping)

Aha ..
By the way I couldn't find the scale book anywhere ..
the most widespread one for guitars Only .. pale
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Amro wrote:
Jordan wrote:Dominate 7th (CDom7, or C7), and Diminished 7th's (Cdim7, Co7), there are quite a few symbols that represent the chords. They're popular in jazz music and definitely in blues. In jazz, when you're creating a progression with a series of chords you'd use a Dominate 7th chord or a Diminished 7th chord to either move back to the dominant or play one on the leading tone back to the tonic, or you could play them which ever way you want. Going from slight dissonance which can be transitional while going back to consonance can end a phrase, or chord progression.

Thanks Jordan for these infos ..
But should I Do them everyday in practising cuz i'm rarely play Jazz or Blues
(Actually not play cuz I didnt play anything but Just Hoping)

Aha ..
By the way I couldn't find the scale book anywhere ..
the most widespread one for guitars Only .. pale
Practicing how to create them and playing them would be great, yeah. Dominate and Diminished chords aren't just in jazz music, classical is full of them. Keep that in mind Smile.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by maestoso Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 pm

Just a note about diminished 7ths. A diminished chord is an "unstable" chord, because it's dissonant and has a strong need to resolve. Adding a 7th increases the tension of the chord since it contains both a diminished 5th and a diminished 7th interval. When we hear diminished intervals we strongly want to hear them resolve.. hence why these chords are so powerful Cool

maestoso
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 pm

maestoso wrote:Just a note about diminished 7ths. A diminished chord is an "unstable" chord, because it's dissonant and has a strong need to resolve. Adding a 7th increases the tension of the chord since it contains both a diminished 5th and a diminished 7th interval. When we hear diminished intervals we strongly want to hear them resolve.. hence why these chords are so powerful Cool

Ah Smile I got to learn more about this sometime.
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down