Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accuracy on big jumps

4 posters

Go down

Accuracy on big jumps Empty Accuracy on big jumps

Post by Dalirus Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:59 am

You said go nuts so I am =p Actually I'll go nuts tomorrow as I'm about to sleep lol

In the middle of Schubert's Waltz in A minor no 1 there's this big jump with the left hand from a lower B octave to a...I dunno what's the name of the chord but it's a major 7. Whenever I do it hands separate I can hit the chord accurately. The disaster is hands together. When ever I get to that part I always have this pause because I'm trying to avoid the black keys. When I do, not pause, I miss a couple of notes.

Dalirus
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 25
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Accuracy on big jumps Empty Re: Accuracy on big jumps

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:11 am

Dalirus wrote:You said go nuts so I am =p Actually I'll go nuts tomorrow as I'm about to sleep lol

In the middle of Schubert's Waltz in A minor no 1 there's this big jump with the left hand from a lower B octave to a...I dunno what's the name of the chord but it's a major 7. Whenever I do it hands separate I can hit the chord accurately. The disaster is hands together. When ever I get to that part I always have this pause because I'm trying to avoid the black keys. When I do, not pause, I miss a couple of notes.

What you need to do is start from the disaster chord you're trying to hit. In other words place your hands where you want to end up. BOTH OF them, THEN extremely slowly go backwards and hit the chords you would be hitting before that. While you're doing this in VERY slow motion take notice of the distance and the feeling your arms have while you do this. Then when you land on those notes, Hold on to them with both hands. Then jump FORWARDS to the disaster chord, but SLOWLY and then backwards again back to the chord previous, once you have got the distance measured, try doing it eyes closed, STILL slowly, once you can do it slowly eyes closed and perfectly land on the chords, then you're ready to try it slightly faster eyes open, then repeated the process until you're faster and up to tempo. Hope that helps Very Happy

Oh and don't worry Wink going crazy is encouraged!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalirus Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:50 pm

I see...it actually works! Thanks! It's 65% better now. I just gotta work more on with my eyes closed. Rolling Eyes

Dalirus
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 25
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Dalirus wrote:I see...it actually works! Thanks! It's 65% better now. I just gotta work more on with my eyes closed. Rolling Eyes

Great! i knew that would work! (or at least I was 99% sure it would) I'm glad to hear it's getting better! now just keep doing that until you plateau
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Tue May 26, 2009 10:31 am

I think you should do it very slow until your mind is aware and acquainted with the distance your hand has to travel. Once you start to notice its becoming easier gradually increase the speed until you reach the desired velocity. Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 239
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : 7 months
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-29

https://www.youtube.com/user/surehit123

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Tue May 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Andrew mentioned this technique in one of his videos though I can't remember which one. Its all about programming your mind. Razz

Its like when you first learn to type on a computer keyboard and you have to search out the keys and then after a while you know where they are and can press them automatically without having to look. Its the same with a piano but the pianos keys are much larger so it should be quicker to get their dimensions and spacings in your mind!
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down