Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer?

+4
Dr.Avery
VictorCS
Thomandy
Admin Andrew
8 posters

Go down

Melody... Or Harmony...

Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_lcap55%Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 12 ]
Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_lcap45%Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 10 ]
Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_lcap0%Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 22

Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Empty Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer?

Post by Admin Andrew Sat May 24, 2008 7:19 am

Alright, now we all know you need both to create a wonderful song, but let's just say for a second that you had to pick between a song having a great harmonic structure, or a wonderful singing melody with a very simple and basic harmony.

Which do you choose.... scratch
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Empty Re: Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer?

Post by Thomandy Sat May 24, 2008 7:25 am

I voted Melody. Harmonic structure is less important, if the melody is breathtaking Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer? Empty Re: Melody or Harmony? Which do you prefer?

Post by VictorCS Sat May 24, 2008 9:01 am

Melody ofcourse, that's the skeleton, harmony is just the muscles and fat...
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat May 24, 2008 6:11 pm

I voted melody as well. Bach's harmony is said to be melodically conceived while his melody is harmonically driven Razz bach's music was incredible the way he made both melody and harmony flow seamlessly together with his mad skillz in counter point. Chopin's most respected composer was Bach. So, and if chopin respected him, so do I Wink
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 am

Admin Andrew wrote:I voted melody as well. Bach's harmony is said to be melodically conceived while his melody is harmonically driven Razz bach's music was incredible the way he made both melody and harmony flow seamlessly together with his mad skillz in counter point. Chopin's most respected composer was Bach. So, and if chopin respected him, so do I Wink

Well if you respect him, so do I!! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Avery Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:16 am

To be the devil's advocate Twisted Evil here for a second. Also seeing as this is my first time on this lovely site I am going to vote harmony. Harmony is what I tend to feel most in music. I hone in on things like chord progressions and how the notes being played interact. Melody is an obvious draw for most ears, but I more love when two melodies are going simultaneously, so I can hear how they interacy. Coheed and Cambria like to sing while the guitars are picking out rhythm figures, it's really nice to hear that kind of contrapuntal ideal being perpetuated, as well as adding depth to the music. Melodies playing off of the harmonic structure or other melodies is one of my favorite things to listen for - this is where you can hear that the writers were having the most fun.
But that is just me.^_^ lol!

Dr.Avery
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 26
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:37 am

Dr.Avery wrote:To be the devil's advocate Twisted Evil here for a second. Also seeing as this is my first time on this lovely site I am going to vote harmony. Harmony is what I tend to feel most in music. I hone in on things like chord progressions and how the notes being played interact. Melody is an obvious draw for most ears, but I more love when two melodies are going simultaneously, so I can hear how they interacy. Coheed and Cambria like to sing while the guitars are picking out rhythm figures, it's really nice to hear that kind of contrapuntal ideal being perpetuated, as well as adding depth to the music. Melodies playing off of the harmonic structure or other melodies is one of my favorite things to listen for - this is where you can hear that the writers were having the most fun.
But that is just me.^_^ lol!

Well its almost = on the poll Smile So thats not just you Wink hehe
But I see what you mean. But still, the harmony wont sound good, if it isnt a suiting melody. I think that the melody aloows the harmony so brilliate more than the other way around. Because a song can be horrible if the harmony is perfect and the melody is Bad, but the song Can sound great if the harmony "sucks" but the melody is beautyfull Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Avery Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:56 am

No Well like I always say "whatever fit you wear" When I listen to songs that have great melody and terrible harmony or no harmony than it kind of makes me sick. lol! It is kind of like one of those saturday morning children songs."out of the box" there's just know real 'meat' as mother call it behind it. Like it's missing something...like.... HARMONY! But back to my saying again."whatever fits you wear" And then again you could have great harmony and it sound like nothing but pretty sound.that to me is when dynamics come into play. scratch

Dr.Avery
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Avery Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:04 am

Oh! And by the way I am a novice piano player but I am a pretty good vocalist and choral artist. soooo I may make sense sometime and sometimes I may not. JuS7 A8s7ra(7. that saids (Just abstract) confused

Dr.Avery
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwesifriends Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:58 am

I mush prefer melody than harmony. Very Happy
kwesifriends
kwesifriends
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 139
Job/hobbies : Student, Bookaholic, Piano, Violin
Length of time playing piano : 10 months
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://kwesifriends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 pm

Dr.Avery wrote:No Well like I always say "whatever fit you wear" When I listen to songs that have great melody and terrible harmony or no harmony than it kind of makes me sick. lol! It is kind of like one of those saturday morning children songs."out of the box" there's just know real 'meat' as mother call it behind it. Like it's missing something...like.... HARMONY! But back to my saying again."whatever fits you wear" And then again you could have great harmony and it sound like nothing but pretty sound.that to me is when dynamics come into play. scratch

You got more experience than me. Razz So I cant argue. Im actually not sure I have heard a song oith poor harmony Razz
Hehe Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Avery Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Dr.Avery wrote:No Well like I always say "whatever fit you wear" When I listen to songs that have great melody and terrible harmony or no harmony than it kind of makes me sick. lol! It is kind of like one of those saturday morning children songs."out of the box" there's just know real 'meat' as mother call it behind it. Like it's missing something...like.... HARMONY! But back to my saying again."whatever fits you wear" And then again you could have great harmony and it sound like nothing but pretty sound.that to me is when dynamics come into play. scratch

You got more experience than me. Razz So I cant argue. Im actually not sure I have heard a song oith poor harmony Razz
Hehe Smile

By poor harmony I mean not to it's full potential. And I am nowhere as experienced than you. lol!

Dr.Avery
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Dr.Avery wrote:

By poor harmony I mean not to it's full potential. And I am nowhere as experienced than you. lol!

Hehe.. Well, I know what it is, but never heard any pieces that I can tell got bad harmony.. =)
I dont know if you got more or less ecperience.. But I got about (4)-6months now..
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnex Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 pm

I prefer Melody
Marnex
Marnex
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 210
Job/hobbies : Video games,computer, and piano
Length of time playing piano : Since 2008
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Depo007 Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:46 am

I voted for melody, since it can stand alone and be totally awesome. If the option was there, however, I would have said that the two work best in harmony (pun intended).
Depo007
Depo007
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Software Developer
Length of time playing piano : Started taking lessons 22 June 2010
Registration date : 2008-06-04

http://www.vgmusic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 am

Depo007 wrote:I voted for melody, since it can stand alone and be totally awesome. If the option was there, however, I would have said that the two work best in harmony (pun intended).

I have heard pieces that are harmonic solid, but sounds like crap Razz
But I have never heard melodical good pieces that I know got bad harmonic structure, so.. I kant really tell Razz
But I voted Melody! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestoso Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:22 am

melody, melody, melody :-) actually this is a bit like a choice between blue and green - I love them both!! ;-) but melody existed in Western music LONG before harmony... the old guy has to win! Laughing

maestoso
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down