Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from the Prairies

5 posters

Go down

Hi from the Prairies Empty Hi from the Prairies

Post by willis77 Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Hello to all!

My name is Will and I currently live in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.

I am thirty-three years old and recently discovered piano playing. Its like a fire has been ignited inside me. Let me tell you how it all started. I 'discovered' music in my teens when a friend of mine got me interested in classic rock. The first time I heard "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin I decided that I had to be the Jimmy Page for the 1990's. Unfortunately I was a lazy teenager at the forefront of the slacker generation, and learning the guitar was hard! So many frets and strings and chords with one hand and strumming with another, it was all too much. So I bought a bass. Since the internet was still a few years away I had no easy access to cheater lessons and music. Instead I forked out $15 every week to have some death metal wannabe TAB out some Zep for me. This quickly lost its appeal and when I went off to college I sold all my guitar gear.

Flash forward to 2010. Music had always been simmering on the back burner for me. With the advent of the internet I bought another guitar and picked away at it from time to time, always thinking "I should really learn music sometime." Sometime came in July when a friend of mine organized a jam out on his farm. It was a huge party and the musicians among my friends took turns on the deck cranking out song after song and having a great time doing it. It was then that I decided I needed to seriously learn music. Not just YouTube tutorials, not tablature, but the real nuts and bolts of music. The next day I sat down at the computer, opened YouTube and searched, "music theory lessons."

That's when I met Andrew Furmanczyk.

I was a man possessed. I went through twenty some lessons in about three days, eagerly drawing clefs and staffs and trees full of notes. I started a duo-tang with all my scribblings. I sourced a free used piano and started playing every day. Often I would sit down at eight after putting my 3 year old to bed and before I knew it it was one in the morning. When I went home to visit my parents in Ontario, I bought a keyboard to keep playing. When I found the keys were too light, I would sneak into a local hotel to play on their ballroom piano. Now I take lessons every week.

I absolutely love it. But, thank you, Andrew, for giving me the kick-start. It was your personality and enthusiasm that kept me watching all those videos. Thank you for your gift on behalf of all the aspiring musicians out there.

willis77
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 8
Length of time playing piano : Since August 2010
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Hi from the Prairies Empty Re: Hi from the Prairies

Post by jytte Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:31 pm

That was fun reading Smile
I think a lot of us will be nodding to ourselves as we read your little story, each one of us recognizing something from our own story.

Well, you "found" us at last, and we welcome you in our little club of seriously (and hopefully incurably) music-bitten people. Most of us are learning the piano here, but there are some other instruments to be found as well. Anyway, the theory of music is the same for all of us, and the yearning for knowledge and betterment as well.

So, greetings, Willis of Manitoba.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 1748 Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

hi iam daniel from indonesia nice too meet you too
basicly i have same story about finding andrew in youtube and now iam almost 1 year practice piano lesson when i saw andrew lesson iam inspiration to play piano..beside my neighbor friend is play music too
i know piano have a lot of time to be play it..but since iam not to busy i just enjoy it
beside that iam thinking when we are still young we must learn anything we wanted to learn
life is learning right ??? hahaha

thanks to andrew to make piano inspiration for beginner and in his video i never forget andrews word is....
iam making this youtube video with my own money ^^ ahhaahah
good job andrew

Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 57
Job/hobbies : Daniel ASIA INDONESIA
Length of time playing piano : augst 2009
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey Will.

Many peoples lives have been changed after finding Andrew's videos. It's enjoyable to listen to all kinds of life stories and how Andrew encouraged them to keep practicing and advancing their skills.

Welcome aboard. Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 134
Job/hobbies : Student
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-05

https://www.facebook.com/tkellerz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickard Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 am

Good read! 20 some of the music theory lessons in 3 days? Wow, that must have been some intense watching and home work doing.
Anyways, welcome to the forum!

Rickard
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 146
Guru Points : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by willis77 Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 pm

What can I say? I got bit by the bug. Thanks for the welcomes, all.

willis77
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 8
Length of time playing piano : Since August 2010
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down