Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A great way to learn notes

+5
Liam19
Rickard
jytte
Kelly
Pianoted
9 posters

Go down

A great way to learn notes Empty A great way to learn notes

Post by Pianoted Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi, just wanted to tell you of a new way I've discovered to let the notes stick in my head. Maybe someone else has discovered it also, but it helps me a lot.

I have become very interested in finding MIDI-files for popular songs on the internet and working with them in a note-editing program. I use Anvil Studio (press to open their website in a new window/tab.) It's free, but you can buy add-ons which most people don't need.

In this program, the note you have your mouse over appears on a picture of a piano below the grand staff. See picture below to see what I mean. Bear in mind that the red arrow does not appear, I just added it to the picture to explain better what I mean. The piano appearing is a full piano, but a part was cut off when I inserted the image. Don't know why.

A great way to learn notes Orvand10

Hope this helps someone. Greetings to all.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 154
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

A great way to learn notes Empty Re: A great way to learn notes

Post by Kelly Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Handy tool you got there. I just downloaded it, I'll have plenty of time this weekend to find out how it works.

Oh, and the image is a bit too big, but it can be seen whole size on your posts' page (HERE) or it you just right-click it and copy it's url and post it in another window.

Thanks, Pianoted. Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 134
Job/hobbies : Student
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-05

https://www.facebook.com/tkellerz

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:33 am

That looks like a good tool, can you write scores in it too? I also like to find midis of pop songs, then see if I can make a score to make it playable for me.
I will definitely have a look too.

thanks for sharing Smile

Had a look, you can work on midis with that (but only up to one minute on the free version I believe),
and I really like that they have a "Notes Exercise Page", great educational tool.

You cannot write scores and print them to pdf without buying some of the extra stuff though.
For that I use MuseScore (which is free).
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:14 am

Hi, thanks for replies. Yes it's a setback they don't allow you to print or save as PDF, but you can do most of the work in Anvil and then use MuseScore to print or convert to PDF, your're right about that. You can also use the latter to edit, but I like the interface of Anvil better.

I'm still deciding whether I should buy Notation Composer, it sells at $43.99, half the price before. It seems to be a fine program.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't know the Notation Composer, but I have the Notation Player (free). I use that some times for reference, as it is much better at importing and transcribing midis than MuseScore. Granted MuseScore can be a little temperamental at times, but once you get used to the do's and dont's of it, it's a snap to work in.

I like free stuff, cause I always seem to gather and use a looooot of different software, and it runs up. I also decided not to list or promote anything on my webpage, that isn't free, as a lot of newbies are young kids, students and so forth, and they simply don't have the money to buy extras, to some it's hard enough to scrape the money together to get the piano they're playing on.

That's why it's so great when people post here and share what they find. Even if you "surf" all day long, you're never gonna find everything out there, and I've found many a great link here to sites or software that are very useful.

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Jytte, I totally agree with you not to put links to stuff that costs on your site. If you did it would also put the neutrality of your website in jeopardy, people might think you're affiliated with the sellers of the software, even getting paid to advertise their products.

Just mentioned this particular program because I've had the trial version and liked it. Let me emphasize I'm in no way advertising for them or connected to them in any way whatsoever!

I also like to have free stuff and can hardly afford to pay for much more than my piano, having been unemployed for sixteen months. But if the product is very good and saves me a lot of time and work I might consider investing in it. Whether it be programs or simply good note books.

Finally I must say that your site has become very good, well organized and contains a lot of helpful stuff.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickard Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Anvil Studio is a nice program, I've been using it for a while now but I haven't been composing anything really, just opening midi files and sometimes splitting up a song into different tracks.

Rickard
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 146
Guru Points : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks Ted,
I happen to really like to make websites, and what starts out as a simple list of something, has a tendency to become more and more elaborate, with pages and pages of stuff Very Happy
As the list grew longer, it did need some organizing and navigation tools, in the beginning I was more concerned with contents, now I'm picking on the details. But even if I do get carried away with some additional pages and things, I will keep the main goal in mind, and hopefully it will grow to be a looooooong list of easy and some not so easy things to pick from.

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks for the software Pianoted, downloaded and installed. Will give it a try later. Thanks. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 49
Length of time playing piano : October 2007
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by hedi01 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:29 am

Smallvillesmallville dvd was a wonderful show and I will miss landmark when he left. I'm sure that Tom Welling would make other grey's anatomy dvdroles, however, and it will be interesting to see his walt disney dvdcareer. Season 9 found this step after a less than stellar Season 8 There was a little plot points that I do not understand, though. They never explained why the yellow sun has not affected the Zod and crew as it makes Clark and why house md dvdthe red sun would give them the power and remove them from Clark. Maybe I missed the reasoning and I'll catch it whan I see DVD. The Clark / Lois romance heats up this season, and it was fun. Laws, beautifully played by Erica Durance, begins to one tree hill dvd
enter his own as a journalist and as a woman. She wants a guy who is his own personal heroes, but is still distracted by Blur. I was not crazy Cabinet Zod character (apparently all Kryptonians have British accents and overact), but it was an interesting story line.

hedi01

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cnatraining Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 am

A couple of minutes a day with one of these exercises will help you improve your skills in finding the notes. In this guitar lesson we will focus on the fretboard and not the actual guitar sheet music. http://www.certifiednursingassistantcna.com/

cnatraining

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Petter Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:48 am

Gosh, thats a good one - installed and experimenting now.
thanks Wink

Petter
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 23
Length of time playing piano : Started 2011, 5 Mars
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Petter Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Hmm, got this tiny childrens song ive "arranged" with this software, whas a nice program. lol but i dont know hoe to upload the mp3 file to forum. would like a comment eaven if its really small and "beginnerlike" Smile
Any ideas?

Petter
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 23
Length of time playing piano : Started 2011, 5 Mars
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ichris87 Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Just downloaded it =D