Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question on contrary motion scales

3 posters

Go down

scales - question on contrary motion scales Empty question on contrary motion scales

Post by alsmat Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Hello,
I started playing piano two years ago and I've played scales for a few months now. First I play them reading the sheets, then I try to play looking at the keyboard and finally I play without looking at the keyboard. So far (up to 3 sharps and 3 flats) I have no difficulties for scales in straight motion. I can play contrary motion looking at the keyboard (not very easily anyway!) , but no way I can play them by memory -e.g. without looking at the keyboard. Do you have any suggestion for that? Thanks.

alsmat

Female Number of posts : 2
Length of time playing piano : since October 2008
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

scales - question on contrary motion scales Empty Re: question on contrary motion scales

Post by ZoologyGirl Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 pm

I think just practicing them, and taking your time for accuracy and gradually working up. Just a few weeks ago I was not able to do any scale in contrary motion, even when looking at the keyboard (well, except maybe C major and A minor). But just by practicing everyday, and slowly working my way up in difficulty I am now able to do probably about 1/3 of the major scales in contrary motion fairly easily without looking at the keys, and am getting better everyday.

The way I do it is first start off looking at the keys. Go slowly and make sure I'm hitting every note. Once I have that down I start gradually looking away, maybe for note or 2, in parts I know I can do. More and more I keep looking away for a little bit longer, little bit longer...until I finally have the movement locked in my brain and hands...and once that movement is locked in and my brains and hands know how it should feel and sound I don't have much difficulty.

I don't know if there is a certain, more preferred way for learning them, but this is how I do it and it seems to work.
ZoologyGirl
ZoologyGirl
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Reptile caretaker. Nature lover.
Length of time playing piano : June 2010
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

scales - question on contrary motion scales Empty Re: question on contrary motion scales

Post by Alistair123 Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Have you not learned the patterns for remembering your scales?

Major Scales are Tone, Tone, Semi Tone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semi Tone
Minor Scales are Tone, Semi Tone, Tone, Tone, Semi Tone, Tone, Tone

Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 131
Job/hobbies : Movies&Music!! Wildlife
Length of time playing piano : 09-July
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by alsmat Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:43 pm

I know the patterns , but when I play scales I use note names, trying to remember the accidental signs. For example: D major => C#,F# . For contrary motion scales I look at my left hand on the keyboard , while I mentally sing the scale for the right
hand. When I see/sing a C or a F I know I must hit a back key: is this a wrong approach?
Anyway thank you to ZoologyGirl and Alistair123 : I will apply your suggestions.

alsmat

Female Number of posts : 2
Length of time playing piano : since October 2008
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down