Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important is polyphony?

3 posters

Go down

How important is polyphony? Empty How important is polyphony?

Post by Pianoted Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm

This word sounds a bit strange to me, but I gather it means the number of notes a piano can sound simultaneously without cutting off notes. I read somewhere that if the number of notes played exceeds the given polyphony, the piano/keyboard cuts off the extra notes, usually the ones first played.

Does this only refer to digital pianos or keyboards, can a normal piano have a low polyphony?

So how important is polyphony and what do you guys recommend as the least polyphony a piano/keyboard should have?

Is it only important in heavy classical pieces, Rachmaninoff or something like that, to have a high polyphony? I'd like to learn both classical music, like Fur Elise, Canon, Mozart etc. and contemporary music like Beatles, Abba, Elvis and Sinatra (jazz) to name a few.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 154
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

How important is polyphony? Empty Re: How important is polyphony?

Post by VictorCS Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:14 pm

It's just digital piano's who suffer from this. If you dont have an sustain pedal, 10 keys at once is the most you will be able to press at once tho. Not that many pieces has all fingers playing at once.

A normal piano has 88 keys, so basically what you need is atleast 88 "polyphones", but most modern digital piano's today have 128. You might wonder why it's higher than the amount of keys, that's because you usually can layer sounds.

Everything over 88 should do it ^_^
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for the reply, VictorCS. This means that you can't play a duet with another player on a digital piano, or what?

I'm not well informed about those things, but since we have only ten fingers I'm wondering if we could want for example 32 notes to sound at once.

One situation where I imagine that could happen is if you're playing chords with both hands very fast, like 1/32 notes (four times faster than an eight note.) But I don't know if that ever happens, maybe in some complex classical pieces?

When you play the last two chords you might want to have the first two still sounding. But that can only be done with pedals, you mean?

Again thanks.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by yokewong Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Polyphony is a musical property that allows multiple notes to be played simultaneously. Piano, harpsichord, and organ are polyphonic instruments. Piano has a complete sound generating mechanism for each key. Each individual hammer and string is correspond to each note. A normal piano will not have a low polyphony.

One of the early polyphonic keyboard/ synthesizers was the Prophet 5. It had five voice polyphony. In this case, you can only play 5 simultaneous notes at one time. Later, it was increased to 16 voice, 64 and then 128 voice polyphony. Most keyboards or digital pianos come with at least 64 voice polyphony. You have 10 fingers and you can only play 10 notes at one time. Maybe more if you roll you fingers to the next note.

If you are buying a keyboard or piano with at least 64 voice polyphony, that should be plenty for you to work with even with heavy classical pieces like Rachmaninoff.

Yoke Wong
Take Your Piano Playing To The Next Level
http://www.pianomother.com

Last edited by yokewong on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

yokewong
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 13
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-19

http://www.pianomother.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Thank you Yoke Wong for this reply, appreciate it.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:13 pm

When you press the sustain pedal on a digital piano, there usually will be more than 10 keys playing at the same time, or if you have two voices at the same time ( you can layer instruments on digital pianos ).

But with todays technology you wont run out of keys if you're not playing something insane never before heard Razz
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 pm

So I don't have to worry, as IŽll mostly be playing Twinkle, twinkle and other such monotonic stuff. Very Happy

There is another aspect of polyphony, which I read about somewhere. That if a digital piano has the stereo feature it uses two times the number of notes actually, as each beat really equals two notes (one for each speaker.)

Not sure if I've understood it correctly, but according to this a 128-note polyphony DP only features 64 pp, 64 pp corresponds to 32 pp and so on.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down