Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metronomes

+2
aendym
Violist1561
6 posters

Go down

Metronomes Empty Metronomes

Post by Violist1561 Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:11 am

For some reason I have a REALLY hard time playing to metronomes. I know that they are an essential part of practice but for some reason I honestly just can't play with them clicking away. Would you consider this a problem in my future of piano playing? I don't know if it is fixable in any way or even what the reason for it is but if you have any ideas please tell me.

Violist1561
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : piano and viola playing
Length of time playing piano : 5 very inconsistent years which adds up to about 2 1/2 total
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Metronomes Empty Re: Metronomes

Post by aendym Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:53 pm

I know what you mean! Metronomes kinda drive me nuts... that ticktickticktickticktick... I have one in my e-piano and you cant turn down the volume of it... so its a really really loud tickingsound that drives me insane...
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:47 am

I can't play with a metronome either. So, as I try to keep the beat with the metronome, I forget what the heck I'm supposed to be doing on piano and screw up! Crying or Very sad
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Violist1561 Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:12 am

OK, you guys have the same exact problem as me. That is exactly what happens when I try to play with a metronome. Sad Oh well, I guess we will just have to get along with this problem.

Violist1561
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Length of time playing piano : 5 very inconsistent years which adds up to about 2 1/2 total

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 am

yeah, and just hope that our sense of rythm isnt completely messed up enough to go without!!! =)
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by frank Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I think it is not a good idea to learn piano playing with a metronome. My teacher says the same. She says you should count (e.g. one-two-one-two for only quarter notes and 4/2 time signature or one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-one... if there are 8th notes and 4/4). I can't do this either, only very slow. For faster playing I have to feel the rythm.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Violist1561 Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 am

frank - That makes sense. I am in my school orchestra and we count out the rhythms but as a last resort the dreaded metronome is turned on. When I am playing the piano though I kind of just feel for the rhythm. This probably results in me getting the rhythm wrong but I don't know what else I can do.

aendym - that is so true! haha, i guess we can only hope though. let us hope that our hope isn't in vain.

Violist1561
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Sometimes I wish I could use a metronome. Like, when learning new pieces they say it's good to play through slowly to make the learning process easier. Often, though, I start slowly, then without realizing it begin to increase speed up to the speed I know the song in (like the way I've heard it played on You Tube for instance).

So for me it is very difficult to play a consistent under-speed tempo since it's not how I know the song in my head.
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:56 pm

My teacher says I should avoid getting used to it and should just play. She also teaches me small tricks and things that are not written into the sheet music. If I would want to play with a metronome I couldn't. The way she teaches me, pretty much nearly all music (even with the short exercise tunes I play!) is not mathematical like a metronome but sometimes I play a note a little longer or shorter or something, like when there's a break (is it called a break?), end of phrase or end of tune etc.

I realized the way she teaches me to play I just can't use it. Sometimes I start it ofc if I need to get something sorted, or if I want to find a certain tempo. Or to see what's the fastest I can do in an etude or scales etc. But normally I just can't follow it because I don't play that... exact... she always tells me that music is more than what is written in the sheet music and I think she's right.

Not to say one can't use it, I'm probably not best to hold a specific tempo on my own, just saying there's different aspects to using it, good or bad (or maybe sometimes rpeference).

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Violist1561 Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for the post endre. You brought up a lot of really good points in there, specifically about how your teacher tells you that music is more than what is written on the sheet music. I believe that to be true in my own playing. I will a lot of the time use a slightly different dynamic or tempo then is supposed to be played in order to give my piece some uniqueness and emotion. Obviously I still stick mostly to the music but those slight changes can make a huge difference in the emotion radiated from your playing. Overall I agree with your statement that the preciseness of the metronome can be good or bad. It doesn't matter for me either way though as I can't play with one anyway.

Violist1561
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1748 Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:49 pm

for really unknown song play it 50bps
for a little know the not play it 80bps
for memorized key play it 100-120bps
confuse with tig tag tig tag....used your big toe i prefer left feet
if in beginner its hard to used feeling usully not constant i played the note so used tht trick
if you know the song its will no problem..how about if not? only sheet music?
maybe can help ^^

Last edited by 1748 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 57
Job/hobbies : Daniel ASIA INDONESIA
Length of time playing piano : augst 2009
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down