Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard to play notes evenly...

5 posters

Go down

Hard to play notes evenly... Empty Hard to play notes evenly...

Post by greatman05 Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello. Normally, the music I play has very few 16th notes, so it's much easier on my fingers to play those songs with few errors. However,this arrangment has a 16th note pattern throughout the song that's very hard for me to play evenly. So, how can I learn how to play this song evenly?

greatman05
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 19
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

Hard to play notes evenly... Empty Re: Hard to play notes evenly...

Post by ROBIN Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi greatman Smile try setting a metronome at a comfortable speed ...meaning slow :)and if it helps count in your head and play along till you get smooth than just speed up metro till you reach the desired tempo but dont rush ...get it smooth and even ...once youve built up gradually ,you shouldnt need the metro ...p.s this works for me hope it does for you ..if this does not work ..than take up playing harmonica .. only joking lol!

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 178
Job/hobbies : learning to play
Length of time playing piano : as long as it takes (nearly 4 months)
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm

hey greatdude... I have the exact same problem with prelude in C by bach! I can play it really slow and really fast and anyway I like and it is an "easy" piece... I just cant really get the tones out evenly... as long as I play with a metronom it works well but without... its not that I cant keep a steady rhythm, its just that somehow the tones arent even...

Im not sure if that made any sense at all... Laughing
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 am

Uneven you mean in length or in volume? I assume the first (since it's about 16th).

I also have this problem (well both) and I think this is a really really long process, to improve. I was playing a Czerny etude and it was 16th notes in Allegro Very Happy I can barely do it half speed properly-ish. Smile

My teacher told me a technique to improve this. I don't know how scientific it is, maybe some pro can say if they heard of it or not.
If there are, say a lot of 16th notes one after another don't necessarily play them like that. Play 2x 16th, then the next 2 play them 8th and so on. So 2 fast 2 slow (or when you get bored you can reverse it, 2 slow 2 fast). In this manner you will be more accurate with those 16th you play and your hand still gets used to playing fast notes as well.
Supposedly this helps in the long run with this problem. I'll let you know in a year or so Smile

Should really get a midi cable and record some stuff now so I can see the difference over a longer time for the same pieces Smile

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Hello!
The technique of playing scales with different rhythm patterns is good as long as you have a correct hand position and finger activity while playing. Which most beginners probably don't have.
To solve that problem you really need to play slowly with a maximal finger activity and a minimal arm + wrist activity, a very calm hand (not moving at all) and relaxed body all the way, which can only be controlled effectively by a GOOD teacher sitting next to you.
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 pm

I do have a teacher.
Not that this would work for me, well I am not focusing enough on it. Maybe at some point I will bite the bullet and just give it some serious try for a month or so, every day, while I do some sort of tests (recording?) to have before and after comparison. Maybe that would help. God knows I need it, I'm bad with all fingers but especially if some quick part involves my 4th and 5th fingers I screw it up Smile
Long live Czerny etudes at half tempo, lol...

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down