Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking a bad habit

4 posters

Go down

Breaking a bad habit Empty Breaking a bad habit

Post by Div Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I ran across Andrew's videos recently and I really like them. I'm going through and watching them and am at I think 20 right now.

I'm attempting to learn to play my piano. I learned a few songs when I was younger, but I haven't played in a long time, and have never had any real formal training. I can read music, but that's where I'm having a problem.

See, I originally started out playing the flute in elementary school. That's where I learned to read music. Everything I played was in treble clef, there was no bass on the flutes' music. I guess somewhere along the line, we flutes asked what the hell was going on with the whole bass clef thing, and my teacher just said "oh for bass clef you just act like the note was two steps higher." Real great explanation, eh?

And that would be alright, I guess, if all I ever wanted to play ever was flute, but I don't. I only played flute because they only let us choose between flute, clarinet, trumpet and trombone, and my mom wouldn't let me play trumpet because it was too loud. I'm getting off point here. I always wanted to play the piano. When I started playing the piano, it was basically just for fun and I learned how to play some songs from the Peanuts universe, and some from Final Fantasy, via a kind of painstaking process of translating all the bass notes up two steps.

Anyways, now that I'm trying to actually learn to play properly, learning keys and chords and scales and all that, I'm kind of crippled. I can read music, like I physically can figure out what note is which, but my mind always thinks in treble clef. I'll look at the left hand sit there and think "ok A, no wait that's a C." And it just gets worse on lower notes. I'm finding myself having to translate my initial read of the note into what the note really is.

Andrew's lesson 16 about playing notes relative to each other is helpful, and I'll get it eventually, but I still am having to correct myself very often. I can sight read on my right hand fairly well for my experience level, but my left hand stumbles miserably. Not because I'm right handed, either. I can't play bass clef any quicker with my right hand than my left, just because I can't read it effectively.

What I don't want to do is just accept this and learn to play this way. At this point, I'm still basically a beginner, and I don't want this bad habit to continue as I get better. I want to be able to see a G in the bass clef and not initially think "E!" So my question is: will this go away through normal practice, or are there specific exercises I can do or need to do to re-train myself?
Div
Div

Male Number of posts : 4
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-29

Back to top Go down

Breaking a bad habit Empty Re: Breaking a bad habit

Post by Thomandy Sat May 30, 2009 5:40 am

Nice story Smile Welcome to the Forum, feel free to use it alot Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBIN Sat May 30, 2009 6:04 am

hi div ..if it was me i would not want to lose the experience and knowledge i learned on flute ..so i would not try to break the habit just change it ....either write "piano" in "red" letters somewhere on sheet that shouts at me so that i would remember ...or whatever u think would help u to seperate ..a lot of ppl play 2 or more instruments .it is not a handicap it shows your talents, so gd luck with your transitions and remember you will be able to play WIND and PERCUSSION in an ORCHESTRA Smile) and welcome to forum Smile)

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 178
Job/hobbies : learning to play
Length of time playing piano : as long as it takes (nearly 4 months)
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Div Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 am

Well, I'm not saying I want to forget how to read treble clef, that wouldn't be very smart.
Div
Div

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBIN Sat May 30, 2009 7:34 am

ahhh sorry i must hav misread ..well but it is still a dilemma that i wish i had p.s. i used to play drums but i never did the theory so it had no probs for me on piano , "a clean sheet " as they say ..i can see that it must be frustrating for you ..hope someone givs u some response on this Smile)

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat May 30, 2009 7:38 am

Its just to learn how to read sheet music from scratch, if the flute knowledge you got helps you learn faster, that's good! But it wont be a bigger issue for you than it is for any other beginner!^^
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Sat May 30, 2009 11:31 am

It should go away with practice dude but there are definitely things you can do to be able to make it disappear from your mind quicker. Writing the bass clef notes in a different colour can be good. Another way would be to practice the bass clef continuously and far less than your strong treble clef. It does make it harder when you add more clefs which is why its best to practice each clef separately when you start a new piece on piano. Hope this helps! Razz And having a really strong Treble Clef is great as most fast passages use it for the most complicated parts.

(I have no idea why the before posts by members seemed to be nothing at all to do with your problem. Rolling Eyes )
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBIN Sat May 30, 2009 12:25 pm

well at least we are trying ,even if not right Smile btw good response Klavier Smile

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Div Sat May 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Klavier wrote:It should go away with practice dude but there are definitely things you can do to be able to make it disappear from your mind quicker. Writing the bass clef notes in a different colour can be good. Another way would be to practice the bass clef continuously and far less than your strong treble clef. It does make it harder when you add more clefs which is why its best to practice each clef separately when you start a new piece on piano. Hope this helps! Razz And having a really strong Treble Clef is great as most fast passages use it for the most complicated parts.
Alrighty, thanks. I didn't think of coloring the notes, I'll try that. And of course practicing.
Div
Div

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum