Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

beginner: how to play chords?

5 posters

Go down

beginner: how to play chords? Empty beginner: how to play chords?

Post by frank Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 pm

I've just started some weeks ago with my new e-piano (I had another MIDI keyboard before, but it was a bit shaky, so I didn't do much with it). This is the first piece I've learned, with the help of Andrew's nice videos:

I think I have to practice it even more, the 1/8 notes part is not very clean and the whole notes are too short. Maybe a real teacher would be a good idea, but feel free to comment if you see another things I could improve.

Now I want to start playing the chords as well. In the song book there are nice small pictures with which keys I have to press for the chords and then the names like F, C7, Dm etc. But it doesn't sound good, when I just try to play all notes of the chords at once. How should I play it? Maybe buying a better song book with a more original sheet from Mozart, or is this too difficult for a beginner?

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 211
Job/hobbies : computer programmer
Length of time playing piano : some weeks before registration date
Guru Points : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-24

http://www.frank-buss.de

Back to top Go down

beginner: how to play chords? Empty Re: beginner: how to play chords?

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sun May 24, 2009 8:58 pm

nice one..u need the chords to make it really beautiful.. Smile
keep going..and add more vedios.. Wink
take care..
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 125
Job/hobbies : Designing, Drawing and playing Piano
Length of time playing piano : Biggner needs alot of help :D
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 am

As I always say, its best to go slow and steady than to go fast and erratic Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 239
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : 7 months
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-29

https://www.youtube.com/user/surehit123

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Tue May 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Do-do-DO! do-do-do-do-do-DOOOOOOOOOO~! Meep meep meep meeeeeep meeeeeeeeeeep meep meep meep meeeeeeeeep! You're gonna have this tune in my head forever now Mr frank!

And I personally don't think its such a bad idea to have a hard piece which you want to be able to play really well oneday and to practice it every now and again. All harder pieces take are more time to learn and if there are difficult bits, better technique and some knowledge, but you can find them out as you go and come here and ask for help if you can't find the information.

I have quite a few songs I want to be able to play and I'm going to learn them no matter what it takes and work on my techniques, fingering and theory before and after, I know I'll get there! Razz
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by frank Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Klavier wrote:And I personally don't think its such a bad idea to have a hard piece which you want to be able to play really well oneday and to practice it every now and again. All harder pieces take are more time to learn and if there are difficult bits, better technique and some knowledge, but you can find them out as you go and come here and ask for help if you can't find the information.

I disagree. It doesn't make sense as a beginner to try playing something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-c5BFaw5sg
Your goal could be to play it someday, but before you have to play simpler pieces to learn the basics study

BTW: I've found another version of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik: http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_free_printable_sheet_music/eine-kleine-nachtmusik-piano-solo.htm
It's transposed compared to the version in my songbook, so I have to learn some other finger movements, but the good thing is that it has a detailed bassline with notes instead of just some chord names Cool

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Wed May 27, 2009 6:05 pm

frank wrote:
Klavier wrote:And I personally don't think its such a bad idea to have a hard piece which you want to be able to play really well oneday and to practice it every now and again. All harder pieces take are more time to learn and if there are difficult bits, better technique and some knowledge, but you can find them out as you go and come here and ask for help if you can't find the information.

I disagree. It doesn't make sense as a beginner to try playing something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-c5BFaw5sg
Your goal could be to play it someday, but before you have to play simpler pieces to learn the basics study

Even difficult music has simple parts within it. Your example is complex yes and wouldn't be able to be played by a beginner but thats not what I was stating, I was stating that you can somewhat measure your progress by being able to go back and try and play it, or play parts of it, and eventually you will be able to do it. This is especially good for those who have a real passion for a particular song and it happens to be difficult. You can grow your proficiency at piano and steadily be able to complete your song.

I do agree that playing simpler pieces should be played like you've stated to grow your skills but ALONGSIDE your complicated piece. I know I'll find it hard to be excited about completing "happy birthday" or "twinkle little star" despite how cute they are, however just by playing the first maybe few bars of my favourite song I know I'll be insanely happy and will be motivated to try and work on my skills to be able to play the next few bars.

I guess this method of practicing only works if you don't expect much to start off with and don't turn this one complicated song into your life at piano, its more about learning to be able to play your song and learn about music through it. Being open-minded but focused on your goals.

And that sheet looks perfect for you and a logical next step. Remember to report back when you think you've nailed it Sir Frank! Wink
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by frank Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Klavier wrote:
I do agree that playing simpler pieces should be played like you've stated to grow your skills but ALONGSIDE your complicated piece. I know I'll find it hard to be excited about completing "happy birthday" or "twinkle little star" despite how cute they are, however just by playing the first maybe few bars of my favourite song I know I'll be insanely happy and will be motivated to try and work on my skills to be able to play the next few bars.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. I hope someday I can play pieces like this one:

At least it looks easier than Liszt Smile

Klavier wrote:
And that sheet looks perfect for you and a logical next step. Remember to report back when you think you've nailed it Sir Frank! Wink

I'll try it. On this saturday I'll have a lesson at a music school, because I think the interaction with a real teacher is better than trying to learn it from books or videos, only. Of course, Andrew's lessons are a very good supplement.

frank
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Thu May 28, 2009 6:43 pm

I've listened to Lacyrmosa versions about 300 times and I know I can make it sound fantastic, now all I need is my new p155 to arrive. :3 I can't waitttt~!
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteriousGgirl Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 am

This peice is amazing..and she plays it wonderful..Cool
I want to leaaaaaaarn it Uhh.. Mad
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 125
Job/hobbies : Designing, Drawing and playing Piano
Length of time playing piano : Biggner needs alot of help :D
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Fri May 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Her composition is very relaxing. ^_^
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnex Fri May 29, 2009 11:46 pm

That was pretty nice, keep practicing xD
Marnex
Marnex
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 210
Job/hobbies : Video games,computer, and piano
Length of time playing piano : Since 2008
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down