Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I do now?

3 posters

Go down

What should I do now? Empty What should I do now?

Post by kentaku_sama Mon May 18, 2009 4:11 am

Even though I haven't played but maybe near 4 years, I think I'm ready to learn some intermediate techniques. I'm taking lessons and level 2 but that's sight reading, aside from sight reading I need to work on my arrangement/iprov skills because I compare mine to people who've done it for longer and mine is kind of repetitive and boring even though I purposely make it harder to play! lol! My left hand jumps all over the place because I try to make it sound better, but still kind of repetitive. I want to improvise songs that have no piano originally so they sound good on piano also. I need more ways to make one chord used over and over sound different and interesting. Because ALOT of songs just use 1-4 chord for the verse. Do you think studying another style such as blues or jazz would help?
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

What should I do now? Empty Re: What should I do now?

Post by surehit123 Sun May 24, 2009 7:05 am

Ahh, what you should do is this. Try not to concentrate on improvisations that much. try to learn sharpen your reading and hand-eye coordination to strengthen your playing. Improvisation is much more suited to Jazz/Blues style of playing (but perfecting the rhythm is very hard) so if you want to concentrate on improvisations go and adapt Jazz/blues style. But I recommend that you should first get top at least lvl 5 before doing that, it makes it all much easier once you have acquainted your hands to different kinds of pieces.

At least that's my opinion. Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 239
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : 7 months
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-29

https://www.youtube.com/user/surehit123

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun May 24, 2009 7:16 am

Improvisation isn't one of my best topics but it's something that is a combined result from quick creativity, an excelent knowledge of theory, great technique to be able to exciute anything you wish to at any time, and senseable rhythm. Improvisation in my opinion is something that comes when you've developed other areas and you have also practised your improvisation. Bach was a master at improvisation. I would say that there is no one style that is improvisational. Some are easier than others because some styles require less complex thought process to compose on the fly.

What i would suggest is know all scales and technique very well, learn theory and harmony. Also try composing first, only after you've composed slowly will you be able to compose quickly ( improvising)

Hope that helps.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum